Extended Warranty, worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, I headed over to CarSpace (Edmunds) and checked the forum for Honda extended warranties. The readers there recommended Bernardi's for the lowest prices on the Hondacare policy.

I was astonished. 8-yr/120k mi plan was only $876, $0 deductible, and the policy covers Navi and roadside assistance as well.

At that price, would you buy it? I'm heavily leaning toward it after all of the hassles I've had with the Saturn.

Not a chance. Especially not for a Honda.

As for your Saturn, I'll bet none of the problems you have had would have been covered by an extended warranty.

What is to keep a warranty firm from shutting its doors and opening up as a new entity and begin raking in more dollars?

Not worth it. The warranty companies know the averages and they're in their favor. On average the customer pays more than he receives. And then there's the issue obbop brought up.

Maybe. It looks like you are doing the correct thing by searching for the lowest price genuine Honda-backed warranty. I have a 4Runner and frequent a 4Runner forum, and the genuine Toyota extended warranty (7 yr./100k mi.) can be had there for somewhere around $800 from a Toyota dealer who posts on the forum. When I bought the vehicle, I believe the same warranty was offered to me for about double the price.

There have been more than a few people at the 4Runner forum who are glad they had the extended warranty. Several people had serious electronic failures regarding the vehicle stability control/traction control that easily paid for the extended warranty in-and-of themselves. In addition, the 4Runner's sunroof has been problematic, and again, an out-of-warranty fix costs more than the extended warranty. For these reasons, I will consider purchasing it when the time comes.

With Toyota, you have the option of purchaing the extended warranty at anytime before the 3 yr./36k mi. bumper-to-bumper warranty expires. Therefore, I believe it may be a good idea to wait until I am sure I still own the vehicle before splurging for the warranty, although the price may increase in that time period.

They are always worth it AT THE RIGHT PRICE.

Don't buy the cheap power train coverage. You will never use it. Go with the coverage that is as close to bumper to bumper coverage as you can get.

Figure there are over 500 MAJOR components that most warranties cover. Assuming you will never have a problem with 99% of the components (thats being rather optomistic, too) then you are still talking about 5 major repairs in the life of the vehicle.

Maybe you will get lucky and those 5 repairs will happen under the factory warranty.

Maybe you will get lucky and those 5 repairs will happen after you sell the car or after you just don't care anymore..

But.. will any of those people who said to not take the warranty pay for those repairs if needed for you?

Quote:

Not worth it. The warranty companies know the averages and they're in their favor. On average the customer pays more than he receives. And then there's the issue obbop brought up.

That used to be my viewpoint too.

One flaw with your argument is that when a customer gets his car repaired in his own nickle, his chances of getting hosed on the price and getting charged for unecessary work or work that wasn't even done is relatively high.

A shop is much less likely to pull that same B.S. on an extended warranty company.

And, if you buy your "extended warranty" from the car manufacturer, the chances of them dropping coverage because they went out of business are very slim.

Only buy a policy backed by the manufacturer and shop around online for the best price. I have recently bought GM and Acura policies for about 30% off suggested list price. If you buy a policy at a dealer, they will often sell you the policy at above suggested list price.

Take look at the best price you can get and think about what expenses there are good chance you will have during the extended coverage. When I can get an extra 4 years of very complete coverage $0 deductable on an expensive complex car, from the manufacturer for around $1200, all it would take would be one relatively minor job and I would be money ahead.

And remember, it's not what the repair costs the warranty company that counts, it's the expense the customer avoids by having the policy. That's what that same trip to the shop would have cost the customer if they were paying for it on their own.

When I purchased a used '97 Toyota Previa minivan from a dealer with 25k miles on the odometer, I bought the factory extended warranty for $500. It was a complete waste of money since the minivan has been so reliable that I never get to use it. Buy the extended warranty only if you know your car will have certain known problems in the future. Otherwise, it is not worth it.

Quote:

But.. will any of those people who said to not take the warranty pay for those repairs if needed for you?

I wasn't planning on it. Are the people who said to take the extended warranty planning to pitch in and buy it for him?
smirk.gif

Sure.

Tell you what, give me the year make and model with miles of the vehicle and I will help you find a good price.

I picked up 7yr/100K mile no deductible Toyota
Platimum warranty for my loaded '07 Camry XLE for $880 and no sales tax from Troy at Toyota of Greenfield in MA.
Troy also sells other manufacturer warranties at a great discount.

Quote:

Quote:

planning to pitch in and buy it for him?

Or do you just sell them?

I don't sell them any more then I sell Synthetic motor oils or bypass filters.

But I see benefits to all of the above, and if I can help someone obtain them, I will.

Just as with the above listed items, there is a cost and a benefit. You don't see a benefit to the cost. Thats all I need to end the discussion.

Quote:

..I was astonished. 8-yr/120k mi plan was only $876, $0 deductible, and the policy covers Navi and roadside assistance as well..

I'm not a big proponent of aftermarket warranties, I currently have one soon to expire on my van, but that is a sweet price for that long of a coverage. IMO- it depends on the shops who will be doing the work. You need to find out before hand if they like that particular warranty company. If the warranty company does not pay out easily, you wont find a shop/dealership they will work with them.

Joel

I'd stay away from all Mickey Mouse warranty companies.
Go with manufacturer warranty.
I believe a big one that folded in the last few years was one called Warranty Gold screwing many people..

Quote:

Out of curiosity, I headed over to CarSpace (Edmunds) and checked the forum for Honda extended warranties. The readers there recommended Bernardi's for the lowest prices on the Hondacare policy.

I was astonished. 8-yr/120k mi plan was only $876, $0 deductible, and the policy covers Navi and roadside assistance as well.

Wen I was shopping for extended warranty coverage, I didn;t find any 3rd party companies that didn't have some pretty good holes in their coverage compared to the manufacturers policies. Typically 3rd parties don't cover Navi systems etc.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But I see benefits to all of the above, and if I can help someone obtain them, I will.

Just as with the above listed items, there is a cost and a benefit. You don't see a benefit to the cost. Thats all I need to end the discussion.

cheers.gif
Well, it was a silly rhetorical question, but no sillier than the typical scare tactic question you asked. Glad to hear you don't stand to gain financially from your "advice". FWIW I don't have anything to gain by him NOT flushing $900 down the drain either.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

cheers.gif
Well, it was a silly rhetorical question, but no sillier than the typical scare tactic question you asked. Glad to hear you don't stand to gain financially from your "advice". FWIW I don't have anything to gain by him NOT flushing $900 down the drain either.

Well, like I said.. You don't see a benefit to the cost. I have a co-worker that paid $900 for an extended warranty and 3 months later had the head go out on his windstar van.. It was only like a $2200 shop bill. And he still has several years and thousands more miles to go before he is out of warranty.

I have had a rear main seal and fuel pump replaced under warranty.

To each their own. Would you have jumped me so much if this was a discussion on Amsoil and I was a dealer pimping my synthetics?

Please read that as a joke.. Both tacoma and amsoil dealers.
ooo.gif
laugh.gif
ooo.gif

fence.gif
feedtroll.gif
fence.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back