Anyone here have their tires Siped?? Was wondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I still maintain that i it really worked then Goodyear, Michelin, Sumitomo, Firestone, SOMEBODY would do it factory and advertise the ________ out of its performance advantage. Oh wait they DON'T. Must be a conspiracy to put people in ditches."

It works, that's why pretty much every tire has siping. As mentioned previously these days some mud and rock tires don't, but it's not uncommon for people in colder climates to sipe the inner tread blocks. Some high performance street tires have little siping, but they aren't designed to be general purpose tires.

The question isn't one of whether siping is beneficial, that question has been answered and the existance of siping on most tires is evidence of what the answer is, the question is whether additional siping is benefical. Additional siping is beneficial for winter weather use and to a lesser degree in rainy conditions, that's why most winter tires these days have lots of siping, but there are trade offs like the possibility of chunking, and more flexible tread blocks which improves traction in low traction situations but it can also reduce handling and/or decrease tire life in other situations.

If you believe that every product offered is the best possible product for all situations because someone called an engineer designed it, then sure, enjoy the bliss and be content with the product. If you know that a product design is a compromise of typically many factors and that in some cases it's possible to improve the performance for a given condition while possibly reducing performance in another, then look into the benefits of additional siping.

Quote:

"Nice find, but as you are well aware, tire technology has come a long way since 1978!"

Yes, tires designed for maximum traction in winter conditions tend to be heavily siped, and all season, M&S and AT tires tend to have more siping then they use to.

As you know, winter tires have different tread compounds which assist in their better traction, as well as the additional siping. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. IMO, you would be better off just buying a set of dedicated snows. For the record, I agree with you.

Just buy Nokian tires from Finland (made for them in the USA by Cooper.) If you have a Jeep/Truck/SUV buy the Vatiivas. They have lots of siping. Nokian is supposed to be the best brand for snow and rain.

I recently read a test where 2 models of tires were siped by a tire dealer and they tested them for wet, dry, and ice braking and snow traction. It did marginally improve the performance on snow and ice and slightly diminished the performance for wet and dry braking. If that is a good compromise for you (better snow/ice traction, worse dry/wet traction) then go for it if the price doesn't bother you. Don't expect miracles. Personally I just buy snow tires (Blizzaks usually) for the winter and run tires more suited for warmer weather the rest of the year. In the long run it doesn't cost much more since many places will swap the tires on your rim free each season. The only added cost is that the winter tires usually don't last as long as all season tires. Siping costs money as well and you still don't have nearly as good of a winter tire or warm weather tire. I would never own a car without a set of winter tires for Dec/Jan/Feb. You have sooooo much more control over your car on ice and snow.

Quote:

It may void your tire warranty as well.

"May"? A bit of an understatement, IMO.
smile.gif

Sipe your tires, and install the $35.99 "Turbonater" on your air intake while your at it. You'll not only have better traction but more power and miles per gallon too.

Winter tires are loaded with sipes. Annecdotal proof that it works.
Look at the Michelin X-Ice. Look at Toyo winter tires. What feature springs out at you? Thought so. The siping. ;-)

As for doing your own siping, its usually to enhance a NON-winter tire to perform better. In my case, I had a set of mud tires that where less than adequate in anything but fresh snow on a clean base. At the time I wasn't going to spring for another set of tires, its what I had, and I had to make it better. It worked. These days, I have proper winter tires and don't bother. But if you have a set of tires to use that arn't sufficiently siped, or not siped at all (ie mud tires) attacking them with a utility knife will make a difference.

Alex.

I bought my Sante Fe AWD new in 2001. The first day I had it I took it to Discount Tires and had them sipe the tires. I had already read the literature on siping. The tires were BF Goodrich Long Trail (or something like that name)

I will tell you I was VERY PLEASED with the siping. My Sante Fe handled great in RAIN, SLEET, SNOW AND ON DRY ROADS! THE BF Goodriches were rated at 40,000 MILES. I had over 85,000 miles BEFORE I REPLACED THEM. WHY DID I REPLACE THEM? NOT BECAUSE THEY WERE WORN OUT, THEY STILL HAD 50 PERCENT OF THE TREAD LEFT. I REPLACED THEM BECAUSE ONE GOT SIDEWALL DAMAGE AND WAS UNREPAIRABLE AND I DIDN'T WANT A MISMATCH WITH ONE NEW TIRE.

PS. I am now running Michelins that have siping built in. In my opion on my Sante Fe, they are not as good as the BFGs with the siping added later. I bought the Michelins based on recommendations from Discount Tire, and the fact that I got the Michelins cheaper than the BFGs would have been.

PS....My 2001 Sante Fe now has 132,000 miles on it. Not bad!
ooo.gif

"But if you have a set of tires to use that arn't sufficiently siped, or not siped at all (ie mud tires) attacking them with a utility knife will make a difference."

Yup, and sometimes it works better than not doing it because no winter tires are avialable, or if winter tires run close to $1000 and you can't afford them.

Worked well for me on a set of BADYEAR Wranglers that were below 50% tread and scheduled for replacement. They could have been worse in the rain, but it is doubtful. The siping alleviated some of that -- noticeably -- and got us through a very wet spring with more than one 2,000 mile trip with a good load. I found it cheap and effective.

The KUMHO Ecsta we replaced them with were like squeegees, couldn't break them loose.

Just for general information--Not all Nokians sold in the US are made for Nokian by Cooper, I have bought two sets of WR all weathers, both made in Finland. SO if this is an issue for you keep in mind.

Quote:

Quote:

It may void your tire warranty as well.

"May"? A bit of an understatement, IMO.
smile.gif

You can read statements from goodyear and bridgestone if you go to sipers.com (Go to "PRESS"). After-market sipeing is NOT an automatic problem for warranty issues.

My dad siped the factory 31" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's on his Jeep TJ Rubicon, after someone cut him off in the rain and the tires locked up very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back