Anyone here have their tires Siped?? Was wondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
if it's worth it.

Have Yokohama Geolander A/T II's tires, which are great in all respects, but the guy at Discount tire is determined my 4x2 Rodeo will do even better in the snow/ice if I have the tires Siped.

Any truth to this??

I did my own using a utility knife that had the short length break off blades, set to a safe depth. I added additional sipes on the tread blocks between the existing ones. It helped, the truck did better in the rain, ok on snow, but it didn't seem help (enough) on ice. I didn't have any chunking problems, perhaps because I wasn't cutting across existing siping.

Siping is always good unless you play on rocks.. then it may promote tread block chunking.

I've siped and found it helped tires with large smooth blocks...there was no downside.

Every tire I've purchased in the last 8 years have had plenty of sipes so no need for the siping machine.

So let me get this straight, some guy who did not make enough selling our tires wants to take your tires designed by someone who spent millions designing and testing them and run it through some generic machine that was designed by yet another someone that swears ALL TIRE will benefit from this. And now you are willing to pay him to put your new tires in this fandangled machine that will Ginsu chop them for you in the name of increasing their performance.

What am I missing.

Oh yeah the Bridgstone flyer that pointed out rounder tires are better on their Blizzaks. DUHHHH. Just get some appropriate Michelin/BF Goody tires (which come round as a matter of course) and be happy.

"So let me get this straight, some guy who did not make enough selling our tires wants to take your tires designed by someone who spent millions designing and testing them and run it through some generic machine that was designed by yet another someone that swears ALL TIRE will benefit from this. And now you are willing to pay him to put your new tires in this fandangled machine that will Ginsu chop them for you in the name of increasing their performance.

What am I missing."

Yes, I certainly agree.

Siping actually makes the tire run cooler which promotes longer tread life. Alot of assumptions in here.
Tire manufacturers dont cut sipes because it would be cost and time prohibitive to cut sipes... and molded sipes arent quite as good.
try a google search...
in general the only tires that largely benefit from siping
are tires with large solid blocks.. ie mud tires.

"What am I missing.

Oh yeah the Bridgstone flyer that pointed out rounder tires are better on their Blizzaks. DUHHHH. Just get some appropriate Michelin/BF Goody tires (which come round as a matter of course) and be happy."

You might be missing some common sense. If a tire provides adequate traction in all conditions and on a vehicle that it's designed for then don't sipe your tires. If it doesn't and no other tires are available then consider siping for additional traction. Simple stuff. Otherwise continue to pretend that you have adequate traction while you're heading for the dithc or underneath the semi or whatever.

In my case I had Michelin A/S tires on a truck, in a size that had almost no other offerings in the required load range, so I siped.

Actually, I expect tire manufacturers could very easily and cost-effectively cut sipes into tires in a production environment. I imagine they don't for any one of two reasons -- 1) there's no need (and perhaps a detriment) for tires sold in mild climates, 2) perhaps siping isn't as effective as it's made out to be.

Evidently a technique sometimes used for ice racing is 'tractionizing', where a machine chews up the top layer of the tire. Otherwise winter tires these days seem to often use lots of siping.

The unidirectional tires with the v shaped grooves seem to get by with less siping for rain and such, but shoulder lugs, adequate voiding/grooving, and siping seem standard on a typical all season, M&S, or A/T tire, voiding increasing repectively. Mud & rock tires go with lots of voiding and minimal siping, they do well in fresh snow, and then they seem to populate ditches when the ice forms. High perfomance tires with large tread, minimal grooving and siping seem to populate ditches when it rains.

Siping was popular around here for awhile for rain and especially winter conditions, but it seems that makers are providing tires with more siping, or are at least offering more models where some do have more siping.

I'd leave that sort of engineering to the tire companies. All the winter tires I've purchased have already been heavily siped anyway!

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siping

A 1978 study by the U.S. National Safety Council found siping improved stopping distances by 22 percent, breakaway traction by 65 percent, and rolling traction by 28 percent

Nice find, but as you are well aware, tire technology has come a long way since 1978!
cheers.gif

Quote:

A 1978 study by the U.S. National Safety Council found siping improved stopping distances by 22 percent, breakaway traction by 65 percent, and rolling traction by 28 percent

That line is very misleading though, because it would apply only to specific road conditions.

"Nice find, but as you are well aware, tire technology has come a long way since 1978!"

Yes, tires designed for maximum traction in winter conditions tend to be heavily siped, and all season, M&S and AT tires tend to have more siping then they use to.

I still maintain that i it really worked then Goodyear, Michelin, Sumitomo, Firestone, SOMEBODY would do it factory and advertise the ________ out of its performance advantage. Oh wait they DON'T. Must be a conspiracy to put people in ditches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back