Oil for Yamaha WR450F

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a Yamaha 2006 WR450F that now has 40 miles on it. I want to replace the oil before my next ride, what is a good oil for this bike? I ride mainly the sand dunes near El Centro, CA. Thanks in advance.

cguy,
my tests (most of them posted on here) clearly show that 10w40 does NOT hold up to 4 hours of motor time. it shears down fast!!!
currently there are only 7 at this time that i can recommend:
Exxon Superflow sae30, sae40, 20w50 (the 10w40 did not pass)
Valvoline VR1 20w50 and sae50
Shell Rotella T 15w40
Castrol Syntec 0w30

autozone, pep boys, wallyworld.

p.s. the sae30 finished the test with better viscosity than the 10w40 did!

Thanks for the info. I have Rotella 15w40 on hand, will give that a try. Of the seven, did one stand out from the list? Would like to stock up and change oil after each weekend run. Thanks again.

WHOA Sunruh...why are you recomending an automotive oil for this dirt bike motor??? Its got a wet clutch.

Which 10w-40 MOTORCYCLE/ATV oils did not hold up to only 4 hours of riding, in your opinion? I'm sorry, but that's a strong statement, and very hard to believe.

Rotella oils will work fine, as will VR1 blends. Personally, I ALWAYS recomend using a motorcycle/ATV oil in an motorcycle/ATV!!! Doesnt matter if its conventional or synthetic...buy an oil made for the application.

That might be why Sunruh's "tests" were bad more often than not...he wasnt using an oil designed for motorcycles and ATV's.

rinconvtr,
i've done 30 UOA's over the last 5+ years that *PROVE* beyond a shadow of a doubt exactly what i am talking about!
"motorcycle" oils? BA HA HA HA! they are a joke. not one of them has ever stayed in grade that i have tested. and i've tested a lot of them. and i am still testing them.
i have 1 uoa off right now for analysis. another is going to be tested this weekend.

let's see:
Amsoil Motorcycle spec failed and also failed and posted by others as well.
Mobil 1 MX4T 10w40 and 20w50 failed (hmmm, motorcycle spec oil)
Valvoline 10w40 Motorcycle spec failed, the *NEW* one.
Castrol Motorcycle spec 20w50 failed
2 more that i can't mention yet failed.

4 big names all bit the dust.

WOW! I am running Redline 10w40 in my 2004 CRF230.
Have you done any UOAs on Redline? TIA.

If I talk in the middle of the woods and a woman does not hear me, am I still wrong?

no i have never tested Redline.
i accept 3qt (or liter) donations.
if an oil donation is made, the provider receives a copy of the oil report well in advance of anybody else.
so far i have been provided with 5 different oils via donation. 3 have been tested. 1 is in the middle of testing and the other will be after this one. 3 of these 5 are major mfg motorcycle oils. i already have 2 more lined up after this next one that are also major mfg motorcycle oils. redline would pretty much finish a sweep of all major players in the industry.

I've researched every UOA you've posted, most on your own web site. Would you please link me the motorcycle oil UOA's? I looked pretty hard before I opened my mouth...

And your "out of grade" claim doesnt not mean it "bit the dust" for your single use application. It depends how far out of grade your talking about. Some you claim as good, have much higher wear rates then the oils you claim are bunk. "Out of grade" is realitive...there's a wide range of "in grade" and "out of grade" doesnt automatically make it a bad motor oil. And there's a heck of a lot more to an oil than staying perfectly in grade per spec!!!

Motorcycle/ATV oils, bla bla bla? Junk? Huh? Some of the biggest names in top shelf oil, you claim are all junk? Come on now. Are you basing this on one line item again?

Your one guy, with one motor, with dozens of UOA's. Ok. Love the posts. Really I do. But I just havent seen anything but automotive oils used...so I'm waiting for the links. And I'm reading all the posts to find what proof is "beyond a shadow of a doubt".

Also, your posts are the only ones I've ever come across to specifically name a large number of oils claimed as junk. If you have friends with simialr results as you, from a variety of motors and oils, please post. It would really help staple your claims to the board.

[sarcasm]
yes, i should post more info so you can ridicule me more.

love the idea.

please feel free to bash me more when i take my FREE site down.
[/sarcasm]

Thank you for the info. I changed my bike with the 15w40 Rotella T today. I like the idea of running an inexpensive oil such as Rotella or Superflow and changing every ride of two. Again, Thanks.
CG
cheers.gif

No Sunruh, I thought I made fair points in response to your comments of my original questions and skeptics. You’re making VERY big claims against the biggest oil labels out there, and I believe its misinformation on a large scale.

I didn’t bash you, I made strong points against your claims and called you out to back them up. Feel free to make me look like an idiot for questioning you about the information you claim you have but have not posted anywhere. Second, was how you came to the conclusion so many common oils were junk. It’s all suspect, and I called you out.

This is an open forum, full of debate and questioning. With big claims such as yours, IMO you should be ready to defend your position unless its just your opinion.

Didnt mean to get you P.O'd, but it is what it is.

I have always appreciated Sunrah's efforts. Perhaps you might wish to post all of your own personal testing so that somebody else can throw rocks at you... But you might wish to display a little courtesy if you want your questions (demands?) taken seriously. Contrary to your last sentence, you have come off MORE than a little harsh & I fear that you appear more to be picking a fight with Sunrah versus being helpful.

Perhaps I misinterpret you. You just might have something constructive to add to this topic. Instead of baiting Sunrah, perhaps you might consider suggesting something from your own experience to the thread-starter. Anyways, I try to give the benefit of the doubt.

John.

Just run any of the 15w 40 heavy duty oils out there and you will be fine. I have been running rotella in my ktm 450 for 2 years and no problems at all.

Quote:

I have always appreciated Sunrah's efforts. Perhaps you might wish to post all of your own personal testing so that somebody else can throw rocks at you... But you might wish to display a little courtesy if you want your questions (demands?) taken seriously. Contrary to your last sentence, you have come off MORE than a little harsh & I fear that you appear more to be picking a fight with Sunrah versus being helpful.

Perhaps I misinterpret you. You just might have something constructive to add to this topic. Instead of baiting Sunrah, perhaps you might consider suggesting something from your own experience to the thread-starter. Anyways, I try to give the benefit of the doubt.

John.

When someone...ANYONE says this:
Amsoil Motorcycle spec failed and also failed and posted by others as well.
Mobil 1 MX4T 10w40 and 20w50 failed (hmmm, motorcycle spec oil)
Valvoline 10w40 Motorcycle spec failed, the *NEW* one.
Castrol Motorcycle spec 20w50 failed
2 more that i can't mention yet failed.
4 big names all bit the dust.

End quote.

That is fair game for questions. Yes, I did come across harsh. But aren’t his claims harsh? The biggest name in oils, top shelf choice, all seem to fail in his bike, and only his bike? Sorry, but I want to know why, and would like some proof.

I have my own opinions and recommendations and I've posted them all over this board. I always state to use an oil specific to the application...always. I dont claim to use auto oil in a bike, deisal in a auto...I dont even consider it. Your left with very few questions if you follow that generic concept.

I also have done my own oil tests/trails/experiments for almost 20 years now, via motorcycles, ATV's, Autocross events, SCCA crew, and countless street cars. Whoopee. I can claim all sorts of stuff, but until I can back it up and say (or show) why I claim something...it means very little.

So, the posts were made and I questioned them. Still don’t have actual Blackstone prints to read. And most important...there was no link to show his motorcycle oil tests were really done, which he claimed all those oils FAILED. I want to see EXACTLY why he claims they failed.

Is that too much to ask?

I'm sorry I come across harsh, but I do not apologize for my line of questions. IMO, they are extremely fair based on his posted claims. And I will not walk on egg shells in any forum, as not to hurt someones feelings. This isnt about personal feelings. Its about backing up the claim.

I'll look like a real jerk if he does have Blackstone reports to prove his claim, and I'm willing to accept that.

He has his own site, he can post scanned images in minutes to validate they are from Blackstone and show us precisely why the oils "bit the dust".

I'm not here to be right...so like I said, I will accept being the official jerk of this thread if the claims are proved.

You came to the right place to ask the question but I am still baffled that anyone monitoring this forum would say that you should run only "motorcycle" specific oil. The data is all over this sight. There are oil analysis's done on nearly every oil. I have had man bikes and made the switch years ago. I personally like the Mobil 1 15w50 for my big, heavy, hot running XR650R and its the recommended oil visc. in the manual (the most important factor). For my wife's little TTR125, Shell Rotella 5w40 synth fits the bill. For my CR250R, the bike is new so I put Mobil 1 MX4T 10w40 (yeah its "motorcycle" specific oil) in the trans mainly because the manual specified that visc and I wanted a good synthetic (I'm partial to mobil 1). More than likely the trans will get Rotella 5w40 in the future.

It's really hard some time to make that jump from the "mc" oil to regular oil.

sunruh, just wanted to say kudos to you for spending all the time and $$$ debunking the m/c oil myth. i also have owned a few big horsepower literbikes (Kawasaki ZX-11 & ZX-12) and my son also races 4-stroke motorcross bikes. I'm always looking for info to help him out and save him a few bucks. why buy oil at $8-10 /qt when something at $2 /qt works as well or better? If someone has the oil reports to prove that m/c specific products are better, by all means please post that data. otherwise, don't rip a guy for posting what he's tested.
patriot.gif

For the record, I said that I “recommend” specific oils for the application. Never have I said on any forum NOT to run any oil, not one. I don’t believe any motorcycle engine will blow or have gears pit using ANY oil on the market today, wet clutch debate aside.

And elric, there is no posted data for motorcycle oil that was claimed to be junk! Thats what my posts have been asking for. Post the data to prove the statements. He hasnt debunked anything. Absolutly nothing. Even if he does post Blackstone reports, he is one guy with one bike. Are we all to bow down and claim m/c oils are junk. Come on. Are we reading the same posts, or are you just being a wise guy?

My statements to use oil labeled for a given application, removes doubt that it will or will not be good for that application. It’s the most generic and safe piece of advice to give someone. I never said NOT to do anything or NOT try anything…ever.

Just because there are hundreds of people using auto/diesel oils in bikes doesn’t make it the best choice. Even Rotella says: “It can be a good choice for Motorcycles and ATV's”, but they fall short of saying they recommend it!!! There ARE reasons for this is you look.

I find it very ironic I’m getting beat up from people mis-reading my posts and asking hard questions, and “demanding” proof claimed to be had. Yet others can come along and make really big claims about the most popular top shelf oils out there are “FAILING” and “BITTING THE DUST”, and no wants to question that? You honestly believe they are all garbage oils? Thats ok, believe that. But I wont, until I see documentation from good sources as he claims he has.

This entire forum is all about backing up statements, if not in the form of an opinion. And that’s why I’m obsessed with this forum. It’s the only one of its kind.

Sunrah isnt getting ripped...he's getting pressure to post proof of his claims, because he is THE ONLY PERSON I've ever seen to make such claims. So, I asked to see the proof. And where is it?

I'd look like such butthead at this point for even asking for proof, and continually taking the risk over and over, writting post after long post defending my actions, leaving the door wide open to slam me in the face at any time...and still, NOTHING.

Can I make myself any more vulnerable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back