Oil For KX450F

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bike is well broken-in (I bought it used and it was raced twice) and I just put a new clutch in cause it was slipping. Well, previous bikes I have owned used Gear Oil and Motor Oil, this one only take Motor Oil (I didn't realize this at first). Well I drained the oil and put the new clutch and filter in, but then I added Transmission fluid (Thats what I was used to), but I began to question the fact that there was only one place to put oil in (I don't have an owners manual). So here comes the question...I put the Maxima 85w in it. Can I just drain it and run a regular motor oil in it without replacing the filter again? The bike has not been started since the change. Also, what is recommended for use in this? I am about to take a trip to the Sand Dune(Dumont to be exact) and don't plan on changing the oil the entire weekend. Thank you guys for the help.

drain it.
Shell Rotella T 15w40 or Exxon Superflo sae30 or sae40 would be good choices. so would Valvoline VR1 20w50.

those are the only 4 i would recommend at this point in time.

another thing, if this is an 06 model, be prepared for the wrist pin to shatter on you at about 40-45 hours of motor time. my buddy at DRL Cycleworks has had 6 motors do this in this time range. i've seen 1 of the shattered wrist pins and i've also seen the totally re-designed new wrist pin.

You can drain the gear oil and put in 4-stroke oil no problem. Look at Torco oils. I now run them in 3 atvs with great success. I can't post the link, but it goes something like TorcoUSA. Have fun on the dunes. Oh yeah, and welcome to BITOG too.

Thank you for the help guys. I'm going to write down those options and see which one my local shop carries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back