Australian - Castrol Edge 25w 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm just trying to find a little more real life info on Castrol Edge 25w 50. The Australian product.

I'm keen on using it, it seems to have a good rep, but I have also been told it's not much of an oil from a few people, so I'm here trying to find some more info on it and any thoughts anyone might have.

I would imagine that Castrol are trying to take market share from Penrite in the thick mineral is best approach.
Is it a GIII being marketed as mineral?

That's a mineral API SG
crazy.gif
, why would ppl in Aussie use that while they can get API SL or even SM 50wt oil?

They told me that it gives them better freedom in use of additives that are not effected by tougher EPA laws on modern ratings like SM. Yes it's an SG BUT it exceeds SM detergency levels.

Sounds like poppycock to me. SM doesn't have upper limits on phosphorus or sulphur in the Non-ILSAC GF-4 viscosity grades.

SH - Introduced 1993 has same engine tests as SG, but includes phosphorus limit 0.12%, together with control of foam, volatility and shear stability.

Similar to Silkolene spec
Comp4 20W/50 (formerly known as Racelube 20w/50)
Semi-synthetic ester technology engine oil. The outstanding stay in grade formulation protects both engine and transmission where a common oil is required. Ester synthetic technology combats wear and friction on all critical load surfaces at high temperatures and during cold starts.
Specification SAE 20W/50 API SF & SG.

Quote:

SH - Introduced 1993 has same engine tests as SG, but includes phosphorus limit 0.12%, together with control of foam, volatility and shear stability.

The 0.12% limit doesn't apply to the bitumen like oils being discussed in this thread. IIRC, xW-40 and thicker were exempt from the 0.12% requirement.

The boutique motorcycle oil lying SOBs used to make a lot of that limit. Most MC oil is xW-40 or thicker, so the limits didn't apply.

I still do not understand why there are different motor oils for different countries. Now obviously, there might be different oils if one country is a tropical country and the other country is Sweden. But you have these car manufacturers saying (in the USA) that everybody with a gasoline engine is supposed to be using 5W-20 or 5W-30 and in Europe they are using 5W-40, 20W-50, I think 0W-40, and other viscosities. Sometimes very similiar cars and trucks are used in both America and Europe. So what is the deal?

Somebody in the USA who tried to use 20W-50 oil in their car or truck would have their warranty voided.

Quote:

I still do not understand why there are different motor oils for different countries. Now obviously, there might be different oils if one country is a tropical country and the other country is Sweden. But you have these car manufacturers saying (in the USA) that everybody with a gasoline engine is supposed to be using 5W-20 or 5W-30 and in Europe they are using 5W-40, 20W-50, I think 0W-40, and other viscosities. Sometimes very similiar cars and trucks are used in both America and Europe. So what is the deal?

Somebody in the USA who tried to use 20W-50 oil in their car or truck would have their warranty voided.

I think this got mostly to do with their mentality/habits and my mechanic know "BEST" theory. The unavailability of 30 or 20wt oil here also make it very difficult for general public to change.

In tropical Singapore, almost all our dealer's and mechanics do not recommend anything below 30wt in our weather condition but with the increase flow of information through online forums (BITOG). There's a steady stream of convert to 30wt or even 20wt oil. Now almost 80% of my oil sales are 30wt and below.

Anyone remember BP "Corse 50" ?

it was a 25W-50 that was marketted as everything a V-8 needs around 20 years ago.

Using it was a sign of large testes, and a "built" engine.

The edge 25W-50 is filling the same niche.

Once exchange of information flows through Aussie, i'm sure there will be mass converted just like in Singapore. Even the Malaysians are slowly seeking out 30wt and 20wt oil now.

Yep. Remember the BP coarse plus 25w-50 well. I was advised that it was the only oil a rotary should use. So I tried it once in the rx-4, but then found out about synth & semi synth, so started feeding it mobil synth s and eventually visco 5000. Man that 13B purred on that stuff, no plug fouling or oil consumption issues, or anything nasty you were told would happen if u used synth in a rotary.

BP CORSE range is great! Corse 50 which is a 50w is a high;y regarded racing oil and the now BP Corse Plus 25 60 (street - racing) on paper also a great oil. I've used Corse Plus with only great results. I know some say it's all to heavy but up against the Penrites it is a great oil.

I spoke with the Head Tech Support guy there about a year ago. He mentioned they were using something like a 0w 20 in most of their sponsored cars.

I would be really worried about using an oil that is Zinc free. I know Rollers and so on aren't meant to need it, but if there was an oil that had it, I would use it.

I used their products once in 3 different cars, and all 3 asked me if I used anything different as the cars felt slugish in comparision. But on the other side one engine builder I know loves it, although he uses the full syn 5w 50 (I think it is)

Francis

The advice if 0W20 is a little thin is to mix with Silkolene 10W50. As the Fuchs is now available in UK just trying to do some research see if its worth a mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back