2006 VW Passat 2.0L Amsoil AFL 5W40 10,950 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd appreciate some opinions here. Friends car, 06 Passat 2.0 Turbo w/45,500 miles. The guy is in sales, driving 800-1,000 miles per week. Oil was Amsoil AFL Eruo Formula 5w40, in for 10,950 miles. Filter was VW cartridge. 1qt of makeup oil was added during the run. Blackstone just retruned results today:

Actual / Universal

Aluminum 3/3
Chromium 0/1
Iron 20/25
Copper 2/9
Lead 1/9
Tin 0/0
Moly 0/28
Nickel 0/0
Manganese 0/3
Silver 0/0
Titanium 0/0
Potassium 4/2
Boron 0/36
Silicon 3/6
Sodium 3/4
Calcium 3413/2728
Magnesium 10/35
Phosphorus 1078/847
Zinc 1238/1003
Barium 0/0

TBN = 3.3

Viscosity:
should be 65-78
actual: 81.1

Flashpoint:
should be: >375
actual: 370

Fuel:
should be actual: Trace

Antifreeze and water were zero

Insolubles:
should be actual: 0.4

I'm not much of a VW fan, but am curious of opinions out there as to what you think of this analysis.

Thanks, Steve

Your buddy dumped his Accord for a Passat?
shocked.gif

The Iron looks good for a VW engine, and may continue to drop even further as the engine ages.

I take that this is the older version of the AFL 5w-40, with the CI4+ add pack. I'm curious to see the results of the new AFL 5w40. Is that what you're running now?

No, different buddy, but both work for the same company. The Accord is doing fine, almost 150K, been through an ARX cleaning and rinse cycle, now running Amsoil 5w20 rather than 0w30. It will be up for an oil change & new report in a month or so. Stay tuned for what I bet will be another excellent Accord report. As for this buddy, I tried to talk him out of the VW, but could not!

To your Amsoil question, I know he bought a case, and this change used the last of it. So if the reformulation is recent, his would be on the old formula.

The wear rates are very low for this engine, based on the few UOA's I've seen. Except for some slight thickening due to evaporation and oxidation, this analysis is close to perfect. Air filtration in particular is extremely good....

It's interesting that this oil has no MoDTC and no borate ester, but simply uses high amounts of conventional "old school" additives. It's essentially a HD diesel oil in terms of additive chemistry.

I wouldn't change anything....

TS

I asked him - turns out he bought 2 cases more than a year ago. Definately the old stuff. Odd, huh?

Critic - not sure on the tranny service, but I am looking into it, will report back on what I find.

Steve

If he's putting a thou a week on the car he's probably not leasing it (imagine the extra mileage charges!) and probably not going to plan to keep it more than a couple, three years, right?

I hope.

The fact is these cars depreciate so fast that EVEN with low, low, LOW miles they are not worth much after a couple years or so. Not as bad as a Jetta, but almost. The paper has almost as many 2003-2005 used VW's as there are used Ford trucks, and I can assure you there are a whole lot more Ford trucks sold in Oregon than VW's!

Kinda' like a throw-a-way phone?

Cheers!

Anybody want to buy a used W-8 Passat or one of their $80K luxury Yachts? Better find an aftermarket warranty if you do!

No lease, he owns. The kicker is his goal is to last 160-175K in 3 years. I TRIED to talk him out of this purchase, but to no avail. I personally think he will have some HUGE, as in expensive, issues before then. Not too sure on the engine, but tranny and turbo - I'd almost bet they will not make that mileage. Both very expensive fixes. Just the timing belt maintenance on this car will be very costly - and I think it's called for at 80K?

Again, I am NOT a VW fan. Way too many issues w/ these fine pieces of German engineering.

VW has improved a lot over the years. They are generally mechanically sound if you keep up with maintenance.

The Turbo should be fine if he sticks with 10k oil change w/Amsoil 5w40. Most problems result from people who do not use the correct oil and do not change their oil at reasonable intervals.

The transmission is now an Aisin-Warner unit, partially owned by Toyota. The 6-speed Automatic transmission should last 150k, at least.

Recommended fluid is Part # G 055 025. Mobil 3309 is recommended for this transmission, and costs less than $5.00/qt from a ExxonMobil distributor. Beats the $30/L from the dealership.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_ATF_3309.aspx

If the Jetta 2.0T has an identical transmission to the Passat 2.0T, then the filter is available from Drivewire for $67.

Thanks for that feedback Critic. I guess I'm hung up on all the horror stories I've heard/read about the 1.8T engines with all the sludge problems in recent years; it soured me on VW ... not to mention the elecrical problems the cars seem to be plagued with.

I take it you own a VW?

One of the first UOA on the 06 Passat. This oil seems to work ok for this engine. Well VWs don't rank too well in consumer guide. Don't see that many older VWs around.

The newer VW automatics as far as I know they consider it sealed never needs servicing. But you can change it of course just a little more work. VW automatics well aren't exactly great so better change it before 100,000 miles if you plan on keeping the car.

Quote:

The newer VW automatics as far as I know they consider it sealed never needs servicing. But you can change it of course just a little more work. VW automatics well aren't exactly great so better change it before 100,000 miles if you plan on keeping the car.

***NEWS FLASH***

Toyota has considered their automatics as "fill-for-life" units since the early 90s. My father's '92 Previa does not require a service under normal driving conditions.

VW switched away from ZF for their transmissions, beginning with the MK5 Jetta and current-generation Passat.

They are now using Toyota AW boxes, which should be reliable, though some people are already having some valve body issues with the 1-2nd shift.

Funny you mention the valve body 1-2 shift issue - my buddy had that problem! Repaired under warranty, but he now tells me that he's feeling the harsh shifting once again, with warranty just about to exprire. This doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling about the tranny's expected life.

I think it's just the mechanic-hobbist in me, but I cannot accept the "fill-for-life" trans concept. I just HAVE to change the fluid-filter on my personal vehciles.

I guess this is one of the few UOA's on the site on this new VW engine; I found out that Blackstone's "Universal Average" number consisted of 4 UOA's with about a 6,600 mile average on the oil analyzed.

Steve

Quote:

Funny you mention the valve body 1-2 shift issue - my buddy had that problem! Repaired under warranty, but he now tells me that he's feeling the harsh shifting once again, with warranty just about to exprire. This doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling about the tranny's expected life.

Time to take it in to the dealership...

shocked.gif

I'm on my third VW, the previous two both had over 300,000 miles when I got ride of them. And both still ran well. I find VWs to be very durable given proper maintenance. I had a Honda CRX in the mid 80s, only made it to 165,000 miles. That car had horrible brake issues, the shifter fell apart twice, radiator and starter motor crapped out and various interior pieces fell apart. I'll never buy another Honda again, based on the disappointing service I got out of the CRX. To each their own I guess, but my VWs have proven to be very substantial and durable cars for the long haul.

Boy a couple of corrections here.

First, I've got a relatively problem free 99' Passat 1.8T with 135,000 miles.

Secondly, the ZF Tiptronic trannys are bulletproof. Where did you hear they "aren't exactly great"?
Third, don't count on VW helping on long term warranty coverage either! They'll do anything to get out a warranty claim!
nono.gif

There are some owners who got lucky with B7 Honda transmissions, but as far as the ZF unit goes, my tranny guy said that they have many valve body problems. He gets a lot of 01M units in his shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back