Delo 15-40 06 Ford 6.0 5K Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDP

Orginal fill changed at 1000, next at 5000. Total on truck, 10K. This run with the Delo 15-40, MC filter, 5K miles on sample 4 months. . About 3K moderate towing, 7K pounds. Most of the mileage with B90 biodiesel.
Iron 14
Chrome 1
Lead 3
Copper 15
Tin 0
Aluminum 6
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 41
Boron 111
Sodium 0
Magnesium 16
Calicum 3111
Barium 0
Phosphurus 1237
Zinc 1590
Potassum 0
Fuel Vis 100c 12.61
Soot/solids 0.1
TBN 7.91
F-soot 0.03

OAL comments, silicon is high from normal engine break in. Suitable for continued use.
Anyone care to comment? Thanks

WDP

WDP,

As OAI stated, the high silicon and copper readings are from normal break in. After the oil is dumped out of the crankcase and refilled I suspect you will see normal/average wear starting to reflect on your UOA's. Your viscosity is in the upper 30 weight range, but you will come to find that the 6.0 PSD is an oil shearing monster. The only two oils that I've seen withstand (not shear down too bad) the HEUI setup of the 6.0 is Schaeffer's and Red Line. Good luck.

Beautiful analysis sample. Oil stayed well within 40 weight grade. TBN retention is fantastic. I would do 7.5K and resample the next batch. Keep an eye on the Copper and Silicon this next time. Hopefully they will drop.

Thanks all, this one is a base, I plan to change to Rotella T this weekend for the winter and install a bypass. Last ?? what's the difference between soot/solids and F-soot?

WDP

I will take a stab at it.....
laugh.gif
Soot and Solids are a product of uncompleted or unburned fuel that settles in the oil. You need to control this. The bypass filter will help. Soot is a big issue and acts like sandpaper with the oil if allowed to go to far. Amsoils bypass filter will remove soot from the oil.
popcorn.gif

I think Ralph Wood, Pablo, and a host of others will chime in on this one. The Amsoil EaO bypass filter removes down to 1 micron. Depth filters remove submicron size particles. Soot is in the submicron range. Of course not all filters can remove ALL the soot. Here is a quote from Ralph:

"There are no magic filters. The oil must never be allowed to get dirty and the right amount of new oil must be added. I have read about adding the big filters after the centrifuge to get what the centrifuge misses. The centrifuge lets you go farther between depth filter changes. These were on large engines where the centrifuge was driven by electric motors or steam turbines."

Ralph

Anyway, Terry is starting to see numbers drop with the EaO and this filter is showing some promise. If some, most, of the soot can be removed from the oil....were ahead of the game.

LCM

Some more info on Soot from Manns on the web...

Soot particles are spherical in shape and 98 percent carbon by weight. They
are a very small size of around 0.03 microns, but they often agglomerate to
form larger particles. Although the majority of soot produced during
combustion exits through the exhaust, some passes through the rings of the
combustion chamber and enters the engine oil. As long as these soot
particles remain suspended in the oil and are not allowed to agglomerate,
they pose little risk to engine parts. It is up to the motor oil’s
dispersants to keep soot particles dispersed. However, in high soot
conditions, dispersants can become quickly depleted.

High soot load conditions lead to loss of oil dispersancy as an oil’s
dispersant additives are consumed. As dispersancy is lost, soot particles
agglomerate and form larger particles that build up on engine surfaces.
This soot and sludge eventually impedes oil flow, and it can also form on
oil filters, blocking oil flow and allowing dirty oil into the engine. In
addition, high soot levels within a motor oil increase its viscosity,
further impeding oil flow and increasing engine wear. Anti-wear additive
performance is also affected in high soot conditions as additives are
gradually removed from the oil by adsorption to soot particles, leading to
increased wear and premature engine failure.

Another negative effect of high soot conditions is the formation of carbon
particles on the piston ring grooves, causing degradation of the oil seal
between the ring and cylinder line and abrading the ring and liner. As the
gap between the ring and liner increases, combustion byproducts such as
gases and unburned fuels blow into the crankcase, a problem known as
blowby, eventually causing expanding gases to lose ability to push the
piston down and generate the power necessary to propel the vehicle.
Horsepower is lost and fuel efficiency decreases. Ring sticking and poor
heat transfer from the piston to the cylinder wall can also result. Its like cancer if it gets away from you
shocked.gif

WDP,

"F-soot" is the percentage of soot as measured by FTIR - "Fourier Transform, Infared Radiography". If you know any electrical engineers, they can explain fourier transforms. I absolutely hated this class in undergraduate school (I'm an M.E.) and won't even attempt to explain it.
frown.gif

Total solids is a lump measurement of all the soot and insoluble polymeric materials in the oil, ie all the organic contaminents. These latter materials are generated by the processes of oxidation and nitration, as well as from shearing of the polymeric thickeners in the oil.

I hope that helps....

TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back