Bridgestone Dueler Alenza or Michelin LTX M/S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Chevy Astro
215/70R16

After some soft research (internet searching), I have narrowed my choice for All-Season tires to either:
*Bridgestone Dueler Alenza, or
*Michelin LTX M/S

There may be other superior possibilities, but based on local availability and preferences, these are my choices.

I do no off-road driving. In fact, no "spirited" driving, either. Very soft, smooth, and conservative. I do want safety. In my location, it rains a lot. More than Seattle. Some of the roads have what I would describe as depressed tracks that can collect water. So, I want good wet road traction. Also have to deal with frequent, usually wet, snow (actually more like slush). Comfort is important after safety. I'd like to float down the street on a silent cloud. Would also like to maximize gas mileage. Don't care about performance (as in high speed, or cornering, or off-roading, etc.). Cost is also only a secondary consideration. I do want to deal with a local, brick & mortar business. That restricts my universe of choice severely, so, although I would appreciate the intent, please let's stick to the above two choices
smile.gif

I have consulted Consumer Reports to assist with comparison. Figured I can apply my own weighting to their factors. Their latest LT/SUV tire ratings (11/04) include the Michelin LTX, but not the Alenza (only an older Dueler model). Looking at the older Dueler ratings, it appears to me that the Bridgestone and the Michelin are similar in functional characteristics, but may differ in comfort (edge to Michelin) and gas mileage (edge to Bridgestone).

The unkowns are how the new Dueler Alenza differs from the older Dueler H/T D684. Perhaps, the noise and comfort have increased, while the superior rolling resistance is retained. For me, this would make the Dueler Alenza the clear choice. If not, perhaps the LTX M/S, purchased through Costco, would be a better value proposition.

There are many rave reviews for both of these tires at tirerack.com. There are certainly more reviews for the LTX, and they are uniformly glowing. But the LTX is an older product, and therefore an older design and older technology. I emailed Michelin to inquire whether the design had changed at all since the Consumer Report article of 11/04. They were kind enough to reply, and told me that the LTX has not changed. The Alenza, on the other hand, is a much newer design and although having fewer reviews at Tiere Rack, it seems that the reviewers are very, very positive for wet and snow conditions, and some specifically mention improved gas mileage.

Regarding gas mileage, I don't know how to interpret Consumer Report's ratings that show the Dueler with 'Excellent' rolling resistance, and the LTX with 'Very Good' rolling resistance. In the first place, I don't know what kind of percentage difference (all other things being equal) may be ascribed to the two tires. In the second place, I don't know how the new Dueler Alenza may be different from the CR-reviewed Dueler H/T D684.

So, I solicit any comments regarding how these two tires might contrast, especially in terms of wet/snow driving, gas mileage, and comfort (noise and smoothness).

Thank yoy for any thoughts or experiences.

Regards,

DG

We have had both tires. We had the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza on our '01 Silverado long enough to drive 65 miles home and then the next day returned the Alenza and bought the Michelin LTX M/S. When we bought our new Sierra we traded the Goodyear tires the next day and bought the Michelin LTX M/S again.

I think the Michelin are a little smoother and much quieter.

If it were me, as I two have had a set of Michelin LTX M/S on a Dodge Diesel, I wouldn't touch them again if you gave them to me. That truck was all over the road - lasted 3 days before I took them off.

Now in regards to the Bridgestone's, I've never ran the Alenza's but I have ran a set of dueler Revo's, and they are WELL worth their money - loved them on every surface.

They both get very similar ratings, so I don't see the need to spend more $$$ for the Michelins...

Bridgestone makes some very nice tires...

And this is coming from a Yokohama guy
wink.gif

Quote:

And this is coming from a Yokohama guy
wink.gif

Too funny, as I'm a firm believer in the Bridgestone tires, specially their A/T's.

But, in the last 2-3yrs, I've suddenly found that I'm running Yokohama Geolander A/T's on all 3 trucks.

Couldn't afford the 265/75 16's in the Revo's, which is what I wanted to put on my 4x2 Rodeo - instead, I ended up putting on 245/75's in the 4-ply, and that truck ate 'em up in nothing flat.

So Discount tire gave me a good deal on a set of Yok's for that truck as well - in the 8-ply. Would have preferred 6-ply, but hard to come by in 16" sizes.

Forgot to add: that I've had the Yok's on for almost 10-12k miles now, don't even look the least bit worn. Fantastic in traction, but not as good as the Revo's in the snow.

Deuler H/T on my Navara were toast at 40,000km, and on corners sounded like I was in a 4 wheel drift. They wanted $330 each to replace.

Ended up with Maxxis Bravos. 12,000km on, and love them. (2/3 the price of Bridgestone, much better in the wet, no "Fangio" sounds)

Perhaps I should also add the current installed prices for each. There are some sales going on.

4 Bridgestone Dueler Alenza, installed: $650
4 Michelin LTX M/S, installed $520

Which rides smoother, quieter? Which has better rolling friction? Which is better on wet road?

Thank you for the comments.

Regards,

DG

The LTX M/S was really good in it's day. Newer tires like the Alenza will have more traction on wet roads.

For a smooth, quiet tire, you can't beat the Michelin's. But couldn't give you .02 worth of traction in the rain.

Don't know anything about the Alenza's, still recommend that you check to see if the Revo's come in your size - I'm telling you, these tires are FANTASTIC in rain, snow, ice, etc.

Here are the results of the Tire Rack surveys for 215/70-16 tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresu...16&filter=y

The Dueler Alenza is rated higher than the LTX M/S in almost every category. Interestingly the older Dueler model is at the bottom, so folks are clearly distinguishing between the older and the newer Dueler models.

There is no indication in the surveys about rolling resistance (gas mileage). If the Dueler Alenza maintains or exceeds the quality of the rolling resistance of the older Dueler H/T, which itself, according to Consumer Reports testing exceeded the LTX, then it seems that the Alenza would be the better choice for me.

Do most members here usually hold Tire Rack surveys in high regard? In the absence of personal experience, is it a good idea to give high credence to Tire Rack survey results?

I think I am now inclined toward the Dueler Alenza. On the other hand, what do I really know-- not much.
confused.gif

Thank you.

Regards,

DG

P.S. Ramblin, the absence of the Revo in the Tire Rack listing for 215/70-16 tires would seem to indicate it isn't available in that size.

DG

Consider the Yokohama Geolandar ATX as well, excellent tire in every aspect, surprisingly quiet for a ATX tire with aggreesive pattern, amazing on road grip for an off road tire.

I put Alenza's on the wifes vehicle. We are very happy with them. Best wearing, Best year round traction tire I have ever run.

I just phoned Tire Rack, and spoke with a sales rep.

He was very adamant-- According to him, there wasn't even a question when deciding between the Michelin LTX M/S and the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza. He recommended the Bridgestone.

What is the reputation of Tire Rack sales reps? Are they regarded as trustworthy, or do they mostly respond to whatever is offering them the best compensation at the moment? I don't mean to be disrespectful to Tire Rack, just wondering how to factor in their advice.

Thank you.

DG

Quote:

P.S. Ramblin, the absence of the Revo in the Tire Rack listing for 215/70-16 tires would seem to indicate it isn't available in that size.
DG

Ok, sorry - wasn't sure. Haven't been on tirerack's website recently - it's always very slow!

That's too bad, they are excellent tires.

I would do the Bridgestone's personally.

[q]We had the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza on our '01 Silverado long enough to drive 65 miles home and then the next day returned the Alenza and bought the Michelin LTX M/S.[/q]

What was wrong with the Alenzas?

Thank you.

DG

"Haven't been on tirerack's website recently - it's always very slow!"

I wondered if others also experienced this. I mean, ther is slow, and then there is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back