Marathon gas? any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed that there is a Marathon station near me that is advertising it contains STP fuel aditives in it. I was just wondering if any of you all have any experience with this fuel. TIA

I put it in my car and low and behold...It got me from point A to point B, the same way the Shell gas did.
More advertising hype. Marathone is now the "Mobil oil of gasoline". Hype and more Hype. I'd be more impressed with their commercial if they actually did some testing and said, "our gass will clean-up, and keep clean"..

I just ran about 600 miles on Marathon and did notice the STP additive sleeve on the pump. My Civic made it without a hitch.

Mossad---I'm interested in your strong feelings of certain brands of gas vs. your vast strong concern over a motor oil...

One of the major suppliers in the US of A and one of the largest plants in the nation was shut down during Katrina and that other fizzeled out thing.

You may be more familiar in there other branded station Speedway. Smae stuff.

I thought Marathon & Speedway were very good gasolines prior to the STP additive. Perhaps they made my vehicles run so smiooth because they contained the least cleaning additives?... I dunno!

But now they advertise more detergency. I filled up with the new STP-added Marathon this week. It's my first fill-up with it. I generally alternate fill-ups between Marathon/Speedway & top-tier Shell.

Time will tell. Maybe in another month or-so, I will be able to tell if there's any difference in performance or mileage.

The only gas station by my house (within 15 minutes) is a brand new Marathon station. Back in the summer, they switched over to a 10% Ethanol blend and it's still that way.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
The price didn't do down either compared to other 100% gasoline stations. I did a little research and it seems these blends can give you WORSE mileage than 100% gas. To top it off Jenny "from the Block" Granholm (Michigan's Govenor) was at the station to kick off the Ethanol blend.
smirk.gif

Now I fill up at the Shell station by work.

Quote:

The only gas station by my house (within 15 minutes) is a brand new Marathon station. Back in the summer, they switched over to a 10% Ethanol blend and it's still that way.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
The price didn't do down either compared to other 100% gasoline stations. I did a little research and it seems these blends can give you WORSE mileage than 100% gas. To top it off Jenny "from the Block" Granholm (Michigan's Govenor) was at the station to kick off the Ethanol blend.
smirk.gif

Now I fill up at the Shell station by work.

10% blend here too.....6% REDUCTION in MPG in my Civic
mad.gif

I am with you Greggy: I either use Shell or a privately
owned Marathon that does not have the Ethanol Blend
I lose 2 MPG on my Maxima with that ethanol ________

It IS irritating that these stations sell the blends. You end up with worse mileage for the same freaking price. I also told my wife she is forbidden to go to that Marathon.

LOL well thanks everyone. I did not know speedway and marathon were the same. BGK thats a good question for the the EPA. However hopefully some of the money goes to the farmers, and hopefully that makes you feel better about the price and gas mileage.

Speedway and Marathon may be the same, BUT the Marathon branded gas has more additives. I know this because I call the tech line a few years ago and was told this by the techy who answered. It's sort of like the Napa branded Valvoline oil...it's Valvoline yes, but with less additives. (and yes, a Valvoline rep told me this as well)

Same oil well, same refinery, same pipe line, same tanker truck. Gasoline jobber buys from at least 2-3 (or more) oil corporations, who furnish quart cans of additive to treat 8,100 gallons of fuel(standard tanker truck capacity). Jobber buys daily from CHEAPEST corporation. Truck driver pours in whatever additive is handiest, or throws 2-6-8 cans in cab of truck, depending on how many loads he can haul that day. All going to different branded outlets that his boss either owns or has a contract to haul for. If driver is lazy or over worked or just having a don't give a darn day additive may very well end up unopend in dumpster. After all he has to phsically climb on to top of truck and distribute additive to usually four seperate compartments. If it's wet or icy up there it's kinda hazardous. If it's 95 in the shade it's pretty uncomfortable also.

While I feel sure there's differences in motor oils, even though their all good, if you think one fuel is better than the next you're not living in the real world.

Bob

Quote:

While I feel sure there's differences in motor oils, even though their all good, if you think one fuel is better than the next you're not living in the real world.

Bob

For whatever reason, you just cannot feel the difference. That's unfortunate - because some of us do.

Some time when you see a tanker dumping, try striking up a conversation with the driver. Might get a suprise. Or if you can talk him out of a can of additive (save him a trip up top), an eyedropper shot in the tank every couple thousand miles is something you CAN feel the difference in.

Bob

I gas-up at Marathon often because the station/store is one of few places where I can still get an edible hot dog.

I always got 4MPG less using Marathon, that said, I haven't used it in some years. Who knows how good it is now. I am having good results with Shell gas, so no reason to try Marathon again.

'Bout a month or so ago I was searching for some info on line and ran across the press releases for the STP additives to be used in Marathon Fuels. Turns out "research" shows STP to be one of the most familiar brand names to the 'public' for automotive products. Plus it has a very positive image...which makes it very valuable.

So you license the name and now your additives are STP. The public says, "hey, dat's good stuff and they got smokes and cold beer too. I'm going there from now on or until I die which ever comes first."

Quote:

Quote:

Bob

For whatever reason, you just cannot feel the difference. That's unfortunate - because some of us do.

I don't feel any difference but, my scan gauge shows a difference. As much as 3 mpg between stations.
BTW, after trying a couple of tanks of Marathon gas I now avoid those stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back