Need Silverado differential fluid advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to change the differential fluid in my '02 Z71 Silverado 1500 but need some advice. The manual specs synthetic 75w90 for the rear so I'm looking at Amsoil SVG 75w90 for it.

The manual specs 80w90 for the front. Should I use Amsoil AGL 80w90 or would I be better of going with the SVG 75w90 all around?

The manual makes no mention of the capacities of each differential. The glove box sticker shows codes GT4 & G80 so I guess that means I've got a 3.73 gear ratio/limited slip? Can anyone tell me my differential capacities based on this information?

Thanks for your input

I would suggest a search, but the new software might make that useless since it seems to list every post rather than entire topics. If you can find it, there's a lot of info on this topic from a year or two back.

I went with Amsoil SVG in my '01 2WD (from a site sponsor), and it has not grenaded yet. Things may be different now, but when I changed mine the only fluid that was actually approved for the GM spec was GM's $29 per quart product. Several other companies, including Amsoil, said their fluid would work but did not have the official approval.

Capacity for the rear is 4.5 pints. Mine is in range with about 2.25 quarts, 3.42 gears. As someone here says often, make sure you can remove the fill plug before taking out the drain plug.

I'm not sure about the front diff, but I think there's a GM service bulletin about vent hose material and synthetic compatibility. You might want to research that to see what you have.

If your truck has the drain plug, this is a really easy job. Specs for fill level should be on a blue plastic tag near the fill plug.

Good advice from the Rhymster. SVG will work fine. I think though, if you have the 3.73 rear, then it may take 5.5 or 5.9 pts. Either way 3 qts ought to cover the rear.

In the front - it takes 3.6 pints and it does call for synthetic.

Quote:

Now is this an electrically operated locker? I'm curious if G.M. offers this

AFAIK, If it's a G80, GM classifies them as a limited slip/positraction axle. Not a locker.

Joel

I know Penzoil makes a gear lube W/O the limited slip additive but this is used primarily in final drives that rotate at constant speeds such as industrial gearing and lower end-drives on boats.

American Axle & Manufacturing does make different styles of G80 rears. Some are a clutch pack style, some are not. From what I seen, chevy trucks dont use the ones with the clutch packs. No clutches = no tube of limited slip additive needed.

Joel

I crawled under my truck over the weekend and couldn't find any tags by the fill plugs. By the way, I do have fill and drain plugs. The owner's manual tells me how far to fill the differentials with respect to the fill plugs, it just doesn't tell me how much fluid it will take to get them there. I guess I'll need about 3 quarts each?

I searched for service bulletins regarding the vent hoses and synthetic compatibility but failed to find additional information. If anyone can elborate on that, please do. The owner's manual specs synthetic for the rear differential so I'm not sure what to use if I can't use synthetic?

As suggested, I won't use any limited slip additive. I'm still debating whether I should use AGL 80w90 or SVG 75w90 in the front. Does anyone who has tried either of those in their front differential have any advice to share?

Thanks for all your help,

R.S.

GM does not use limited slip axles in the trucks, only in cars. Trucks have locking rear diff's and can be damaged by using the LSD additive (per GM).

You can use SVG 75W-90 in the front and rear. I have it in my 2004 Z71 locker for nearly 3 yrs now as well as in my 2005 CTS which has limited slip diff. 5 qts should be enough, just over 2 in rear and a little less than 2 in front. If you don't already have it, get the G2039 pump, it makes the job real easy. btw-The rear diff cover has to come off to change the fluid, need a new GM gasket and some brake cleaner to clean the surfaces. NO REAR DRAIN PLUG.

The reason GM uses synthetic in the rear is fuel economy. Since the front see's infrequent use, little gains will be seen and thus they can't justify the added cost. BTW-According to info I saw some time back, GM source for the synthetic gear lube is Texaco.

PS-I have owned many GM trucks dating back to 1975. I first used the Amsoil gear lube in my 1975 GMC 4x4.

Just a little more info.

DO NOT use any abrasive to clean up the rear diff housing as it can contaiminate the axle with fine unseen dirt that can never be thoroughly cleaned. Not use a wire brush etc or anything that can find it way inside the differential.

Thanks for the tips Mike. I wish there was an easy way for me to post a picture of the bottom of my rear differential here. It sure looks like a drain plug there. I was hoping this would be an easy job I could do without removing differential covers and messing with gaskets.

If you got a drain plug, you are the only one.

I never did mine, I went to my local GMC dealer. Had them rotate the tires and change the rr fluid. They charged me $10 to rotate tires and the price of a new gasket ($7+/-). I changed the front prior to that. If you have skid plates, you have to remove 3 bolts and swing the plate to gain access to the front drain plug.

I have an 02 Silverado Z71. I put AMSOIL Series2k 75w-90 in the front and rear back when I bought the truck. The SVG will work fine. It will take just under 2qts in the front and a little over 2qts in the rear. You do have a drain plug, or at least that plug that is in the center of the diff on the bottom is one on my rear diff. Makes changing the fluid easy but I still would recommend pulling the cover to clean off the magnet. It will be covered in fine metal dust.
Eaton G80

Click the link above. This is what is inside your diff. It explains it pretty well.

Oh and I have over 70k on my truck with AMSOIL front to back with no problems at all. Getting 20mpg hwy. Not bad for a 5.3L 4wd vehicle.
smile.gif

I had an older GM pick-up and the bottom center bolt of the rear axle housing was CROSS-DRILLED and also served as the drain for thr rear axle. Discovered this by mere chance as I just happened to remove that bolt first. Not sure if any suppliers of rear axles to GM. still do this? It was a half-ton,C-10.

My 2000 Z71 Silverado does have a drain plug in the rear end. (Guess I'm the only one!) (mike, see photo in the next reply)
cheers.gif

Also, it's a normal diff (open) with no lockers or posi/limited slip.

There is a TSB on using Syn with the front end. You will need a different vent plug as the OEM one will not work with Syn. Any GM dealer has info.

Cost for the new part is about $25. If I remember correctly, it's the white vent that comes standard and you must have the black one. (or the other way...)
confused.gif

I used Mobil 1 in the rear and Valvoline conventional in the front.

Everything has been fine for 50k miles. Excellent MPG for a 5k lb truck!
driving.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

Thanks for the tips Mike. I wish there was an easy way for me to post a picture of the bottom of my rear differential here. It sure looks like a drain plug there. I was hoping this would be an easy job I could do without removing differential covers and messing with gaskets.

Ask and you shall receive!
grin.gif

Drain is the plug in the center of the diff. Sorry for the slight out of focus..

This is a photo of my 2000 Z71 and my Moms 2002 is the same. I've drained both twice now. Once at 7500 miles and @ 30k.

Just make sure you can get the fill plug out first (passengers side, 3/8" drive needed for both plugs) and drain.

Super easy!
cheers.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif
tongue.gif

Last edited:
That is sweet having that belly drain! My trailblazer has the same 10 bolt cover, with the boss at the bottom for a drain, but no drain.
frown.gif
Earlier trailblazers had it, but it got 'decontented' later on. I suspect that to be a similar situation for 2003+ GM's

Joel

A point of information regarding "locking" rear axles. There are basically TWO types of these rear axles--one is locked until it unlocks and the other is unlocked until it locks-up.

In the "locked until it unlocks", there are springs (sometimes four small coil springs or one S-shaped spring) that keeps the axles locked together until there is a need for slippage to take place in the clutch pack (i.e., going around a corner). This is how all GM car and light truck G80 "PosiTraction" rear axles were up until the middle 1980s-era. These rear axles NEEDED the GM Limited Slip Additive (after the particular-part number GM rear axle lube was replaced by normal lube + additive; by that time, all normal rear axle lubes were spec'd for limited slip rear axles, by observation). It was not uncommon for the rear axle to "pop" on a left hand turn in cities and such, even with a "binding and then release" feel to the vehicle--which pointed out the need for a fluid change with some new additive. Typically, cars and 1/2 ton trucks took one bottle, but 3/4 tons might have been better off with 2 bottles. These were all option code "G80" limited slip rear axles.

When GM started talking about "G80 Locking Differential" in their option lists, that indicates the "unlocked until it locks" version of rear axle. This might sound funny, but the axle operates as an open rear axle until a wheel speed differential between the rear wheels spins a governor gear internal to the rear axle carrier's internal gearset to orchestrate "locking" of the two axle shafts together. There are clutches, typically, but the later Eaton G80 used (generally exclusively on GM light duty trucks, including the S-chassis) mechanically locks things together.

In the CD video demonstrations that GM has on the "G80 Locking Differential" (sometimes mentioning Eaton's name), there are two variations. One is a 1/2 pickup trying to tow a boat up an incline--one wheel on wet, soapy surface and the other on dry pavement. Only the GM truck makes it to the top as others spin and have all sorts of trouble. The other one is where the trucks drive across a special culvert to get one of the rear wheels out of contact with the pavement, or barely touching, as the trucks stop and try to restart. The other brands will spin only one wheel and smoke the tires, but when the GM truck drive up and stops in the same place, with the G80 Locking Differential (Eaton), the free-er wheel spins slowly and then the whole truck shakes as the locking action takes place, then the GM truck drives away normally.

Seems like it was the middle 1980s when the Limited Slip Differential Additive was "not recommended" for GM light truck rear axles with G80. This was a GM TSB, which stated that it could degrade clutch material life if used in those vehicles. Yet other GM vehicles with normal G80 axles were supposed to use it--read the owner's manuals, I guess, or don't use it unless there are "binding" problems on corners.

In the later 1960s, there was also a mechanically-locking rear axle known as "Detroit Locker" or "PowerLock". It did a mechanical lock rather than lock-up the cone or flat clutch plates in the differential carrier. A mechanical lock when two metal, toothed cogs firmly engaged. Other than some of the more powerful musclecars of that era, they were also used on GM's heavier-duty light trucks.

There are some other aftermarket verions of limited slip or locking differentials out there too, which can have some different fluid requirements by their manufacturers (some which might not agree with those of the vehicle manufacturer when the "tuner" vendor might put them in (i.e., SLP SS Z-28s and similar Firebirds with the Auburn rear axle unit).

Now, for lubes and equipment changes . . .

When GM went to their synthetic rear axle lube recommendations, their light truck 9.5" ring gear axle had never used a gasket for the rear cover, only silicone sealer--ever. The year that synthetic fluid was first spec'd for the rear axles, they used a different rear cover and A GASKET. A TSB stated to not use synthetic fluid in an earlier 9.5" "gasketless cover" rear axle as the synthetic fluid would degrade the silicone sealer over time. It also stated that to use a gasket on a prior year axle, you needed the appropriate rear cover to go with the gasket. From what I understand, there should be a tag on the rear axle (during model year transition) for the type of recommended rear axle lube (as the 1/2 tons apparently used the synthetic lube first, then the heavier-duty trucks came later), other than the traditional PosiTrac Lube plastic tag. IF the rear axle has the noted drain plug on the bottom (as the later versions do), all the much easier to do things.

Other than the rear cover gasket issue, I'm not aware of any other internal changes made when synthetic lube was first spec'd on those trucks, but it could be that other seals and such were already synthetic lube-ready. Possibly some clearances could be different, but I somewhat doubt it.

It could well be that fuel economy was a consideration in going to the synthetic lubes, but with the same vicsocity ratings, that might be questionable. Lubricity CAN be an issue though, plus longevity.

Some dealers still recommend changing the rear axle fluid under severe use conditions as they did before. This might sound a little flaky, but modern light truck users (especially the diesel owners and 1-ton owners) are using their trucks to do basically what medium duty trucks used to do. Therefore, where "no change" might have worked for ages (other than with the PosiTrac issues noted), more prevalent heavy loads for extended periods of time can degrade the additive packages in the synthetic lubes too, I suspect. Cheap insurance to prevent castrophic axle failures that result in downtime and loss of revenue or other delays--whether synthetic or normal lubes.

The Eaton G80 Locking Differential (whether 1/2 ton or heavier) can be easily identified when the rear cover is removed. You'll see a thin, vertical toothed-on-the-circumference gear that will work a teardrop-shaped governor weight on a related shaft. This governor set-up allows the axle to be "open" until there is a need for it to be "locked".

When the rear cover is removed, the G80 Positraction can be noted by the presence of the spring(s) inside the rear differential carrier, which keep the clutch pack engaged until it need to slip for going around corners. These G80s WILL need the additive to let them slip when they need to. Somewhere, it was noted that only about 80% locking takes place in this sort of "limited slip" rear axle.

Also, the locking action in the limited slip/locking rear axles results in the oppposite torque reaction of the rear axle housing. This means that rather than the passenger side rear tire "lifting from engine torque" upon intense acceleration, the driver's side rear tire will be the more lightly loaded of the two (with, generally, more black marks on that side than being equal, in the same acceleration mode). When in a corner, intense power application will make it easier to spin the left rear wheel in a left turn whereas in a right turn, the added weight shift in a right hand turn will keep everything more firmly planted to the pavement. With the "locking differential", the torque reaction would possibly still be there, but the "black marks" should be more even, I suspect.

Just some thoughts which might help clear a few things up,
CBODY67

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back