Suzuki = Silicate only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A TSB for my '05 Forenza is emphatic that an ethylene glycol SILICATE based coolant be used and NOT phosphate or OAT based. Reading MSDS sheets, it looks like everything is either Phosphate or OAT nowadays. Maybe I haven't read enough of them.

So what brand and type of coolant would meet the Suzuki requirements?
dunno.gif

In my quest for the aftermarket coolant for Suzuki Aerio I learned that pretty much all North American conventional antifreeze is Silicate based. I needed Phosphate- based and I couldn't find any. I ended up buying genuine coolant from a dealer.

Here is the MSDS for Peak conventional green antifreeze:

Peak MSDS

It contains Glycols and Dipotassium Phosphate . . . no mention of Silicates. It sounds like it would be perfect for the Aerio . . . but not for the Forenza.

Any other suggestions?

TSB No. TS 01 04145R

" . . . There are three (3) basic types of coolant available in the market today. Ethylene Glycol Silicate Based, Ethylene Glycol Phosphate Based, and Organic Acid Based. The color of the coolant has nothing to do with the actual base coolant and is only the dye added by the coolant manufacturer. The only way to properly identify the type of base coolant is to READ THE LABEL.

For the Forenza, the proper coolant to use is the Ethylene Glycol base Silicate type coolant . . ."

The Peak product information page says that it is a low silicate formulation, but silicate is not listed in the latest MSDS, only Phosphate. Prestone and Zerex don't make reference to having them in any of their formulations. Peak has dipotassium phosphate as a corrosion inhibitor, so it would seem to be excluded. There apparently is no factory fluid available. The dealer tech says that Suzuki rep was fine with him using G-05 HOAT type coolant in the couple of major warranty engine repairs he's done, but I can't get that in writing.

I have a phone call in at the Suzuki factory hotline, but so far they don't have an answer for me.

OK. The Suzuki corporate guy in California called back. He talked to one of their engineers who recommended Zerex G-05 or equal. They DON'T want the phosphate found in the old standard green stuff like Peak. I countered that their TSB advised against OAT too. He said, "Well, we use G-05 here anyway." He said that they would probably need to revise the TSB because a phosphate and OAT free silicate type coolant basically doesn't exist. The silicate/OAT hybrid is OK.

Quote:

He said that they would probably need to revise the TSB because a phosphate and OAT free silicate type coolant basically doesn't exist. The silicate/OAT hybrid is OK.

Well, that first part's just not right. Pep Boys and Autozone both still sell a traditional silicate/phosphate antifreeze under their respective store brands. There may be others. Reduced silicate levels are just as effective at suppressing corrosion and demonstrate much lower tendencies to precipitate out - first as a gell-like glop and later as hard silicate precipitates. G-05 would serve you very well, though. That chemistry is all Daimler-Benz has used for the past 20+ years, and Ford and Chrysler have also signed onto it. Very effective at controlling cavitation damage in engines with wet sleeves, too.

Quote:

Quote:

He said that they would probably need to revise the TSB because a phosphate and OAT free silicate type coolant basically doesn't exist. The silicate/OAT hybrid is OK.

Well, that first part's just not right. Pep Boys and Autozone both still sell a traditional silicate/phosphate antifreeze under their respective store brands. There may be others. . . .

Please read it again Ray. The TSB says that they don't want phospate or OAT. That would rule out traditional green AND the newer types.

I'm sure that they are having trouble getting solid information on this car from the factory. Although it has a Suzuki name on it, it is really a Daewoo. I'm sure that there is some communication confusion somewhere between the Koreans, Japanese, and Americans.

I'm surprised that they say not to use OAT. GM owns Daewoo and has a large share in Suzuki. I would expect it to have come with Dexcool.

Here is a quote from a techlink article on the Aveo, also GMDAT, but sold by Chevy:

"The Aveo cooling system is factory filled with blue silicate/ hybrid coolant and will be serviced with traditional green coolant. This type of coolant must be drained, flushed and refilled every 30,000 miles (48,000 km). Use P/N 12378560 (1 gal). In Canada, use P/N 993088 (1L) or P/N 993089 (4L)."

My Forenza came with the same mysterious blue coolant, but apparently Suzuki would rather I refilled it with G-05, another silicate/hybrid type. I doubt that it's too critical what's used, as long as the system is flushed first. I'm mainly trying to preserve my 100k warranty, and the water pump is driven by the timing belt. An unwarranted failure there would be mighty expensive.

Actually from what we have been told at the regional training it is important as water pump failures with the wrong fluid have already been seen.

Suzuki's - XL-7, Vitara, Grand Vitara, Aerio, Esteem etc.. - 06 and before except new grand vitara (not sure on that right off been switching to dex) all use traditional green.
Daewoo - Forenza, Reno, Verona - Get a Hybid OAT (Ford Chrysler new spec)
Least what we were told to do. Think the 06+ were switching to DEX too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back