Inflate those tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, end of August, maybe first week of September, I put the pressure in my tires at 32F/30Rear. This past weekend, I noticed (just barely) in 28-degree early morning temps, the tires looked a little low. Put the gauge on em, and sure enough, down to 26F/24Rear.

So if your cold pressures were one thing when it was 70/80/90 in the summer, you can bet they're way down now that the mornings are much colder.

Check em!
nono.gif

Yes, well, not to pump up, pardon the pun, these crummy donuts on this car, but I'll give them credit at least, for holding air..

It's the temp differential, I'm sure..

This has got to be the most neglected component on any car (except mine). Just for kicks, I check the pressure in my co-worker's tires on his Silverado. Pressures were 22, 20, 24 and 25. Heaven only knows when the last time was that they were checked....and he commutes 45 miles to work, one way every day. Think of the wasted gas!! So what does he do? He heads off to the Texaco and inflates them without a guage, and brags to me about it this morning. I checked his pressure again. 38, 55, 44, 21. Much better.

That's too funny! I'm curious about the 21 psi reading. I wonder if he increased the original 20 psi tire by only 1 pound or did he actually manage to DECREASE the tire pressure in one of the others.

I can't believe how many goobers I see driving around on underinflated tires. I realize everyone's lives are busy, but come on people, how long does it take to check your pressure and air up? Can you imagine how low the price of gas would go if everyone in the country was absolutely anal about keeping their tire pressure at the proper level?

Well all that said, the GOVT is looking out for you with TP monitor systems in your future. Just think how maney GOOD pressure gages you can buy for what that system will cost.
Don't you just love it when uncle sam take care of you.

Quote:

Well all that said, the GOVT is looking out for you with TP monitor systems in your future. Just think how maney GOOD pressure gages you can buy for what that system will cost.
Don't you just love it when uncle sam take care of you.

It is indeed unfortunate that 1/4 to 1/3 of the folks don't bother to check their presures adequate (according to a NHTSA study.) This is just plain dangerous.

Which is why Uncle Sam decided to mandate TPMS's.

If we could just figure out a way to make those folks part of the "Darwin Award" and not have the fallout from lawsuits.

Why do you think Uncle Sam steps in? When people are too stupid or lazy to do what common sense SHOULD tell them to do and yet they don't, the government has to get involved.

Before an April trip from Florida to Michigan, I pumped the tires up to 35 psi in 80° weather. After reaching home, the next morning each tire was at 27 psi in 34° weather.

Yes, ambient temperature has a big effect on tire pressure.

That depends on the volume of air the tire holds. A temperature change of 20 degrees has a far larger impact on a Corvette than it does on a pickup truck.

Took a trip recently and pumped up the tire pressure. Sidewall says 35psi. I pumped them up to 38psi. The result was about 2mpg better. That's a significant gain IMO. Over the course of a few years if you have 2 or 3 cars in your family it can add up to some real money. Maximum air pressure in my minimum air pressure from now on.

Forgot to add that the ride is noticeably a bit rougher. If you're into a totally smooth, quiet ride, don't inflate to at or slightly over the maximum psi rating for that tire.

Thanks for the reminder!
I was about 4-5 lbs lower than I like.
I usually keep mine ~4 lbs over the stock pressure, and my mileage was actually going down - now I know why.
40° drop in temps in the last two months is pretty large.

Scott

I've been running cylinder nitrogen for about a year and notice maybe a 3-4psi difference between summer say 80 deg. F and now at 40deg. F. I check my pressures pretty regularly because on these Subaru's they say any circumference difference over 1/4" in the tires can cause premature wear in the AWD stuff...wonder if it's the same for other AWD/4WD vehicles.

Quote:

Took a trip recently and pumped up the tire pressure. Sidewall says 35psi. I pumped them up to 38psi. The result was about 2mpg better. That's a significant gain IMO. Over the course of a few years if you have 2 or 3 cars in your family it can add up to some real money. Maximum air pressure in my minimum air pressure from now on.

What kind of stogie is that, dude?

Quote:

Are you sure the 35 psi listed on your tires is the maximum pressure rating? If so, I'd be curious to know what brand and model tires you have because I've never heard of a passenger car tire with a maximum psi lower than 44.

Quote:

Quote:

Are you sure the 35 psi listed on your tires is the maximum pressure rating? If so, I'd be curious to know what brand and model tires you have because I've never heard of a passenger car tire with a maximum psi lower than 44.

My last set of tires were Nitto NT450s, they had a max psi rating of 35. My new tires are Yoko Avid H4s, 44psi max. Both 195/60/15 tires.

Quote:

My last set of tires were Nitto NT450s, they had a max psi rating of 35. My new tires are Yoko Avid H4s, 44psi max. Both 195/60/15 tires.

It is unfortunate that you don't have the Nitto's any more to verify this, but the maximum inflation pressure is not listed on the sidewall. What it said was something like: "Max Load XXXX at 35 psi."

Grampi48 is right. The lowest maximum pressure listed on the sidewall of a passenger car tire will be 44 psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back