AT tires on a FWD SUV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a dumb question, but would it be OK to put mild AT tires on a FWD SUV? I know lots of RWD trucks do this, but how would a FWD handle? I just bought an '07 Mariner. I'm really liking the Scorpion ATRs. I really dislike the OEM Contis. Thanks in advance.

I dont see why it would be an issue... consistent traction all around is the biggest key.

I'd do yourself a favor and get BFG AT T/A KO tires, great AT tires (not that youll use that functionality necessarily), that are rated as a severe winter/snow tire.

JMH

I would be religious about rotation... the rear ones wouldn't have much to do at all.

BFG TA KO's are very loud, so unless you plan on off roading I would get something milder. They do ok in the snow, nothing to write home about. I've had my set for about 30k miles, and though I love them, they are louder than my studded snow tires!!

fighter.gif

I think a mild AT tire would be a perfect choice for your vehicle, though I have no experience with the Scorpion ATR's. I don't care to buy from tirerack myself, but I do all of my tire research there. They have a huge database of reviews. I see that the ATR is their highest ratest AT tire in its category!! Sounds good to me.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

It must be your size... the BFG AT KO tires that I have on my ZR2 are much quieter than the original BFG AT tires that came on it OEM. And, as for snow performance, an unloaded bed, staying in 2wd and just utilizing my locking diff has been enough to get me throgh snow areas that with the old BFG ATs I'd need to use 4wd on.

Most of my snow experience is in NE PA, in the mountains, so its likely not as 'intense' as in NY state, but its not flatland NJ either.

JMH

AT tires that are surprisingly quiet are the new Goodyear Silent Armor Wranglers. I have a set on my truck and the're quieter than the stock Michelin LTX A/S highway tires, have better traction, and are severe snow rated. When I was looking Goodyear had a 'triple tread' that was also severe snow rated in the larger sizes, the 'for' something. The Wranglers have a 50k treadwear warranty, which is good as I don't know if they'll make the miles.

Go for Yokohama Geolandar AT, they are pretty quiet and have excellent off road grip, if you don't intend to do serious mud plugging, then their HT series will also do well.

Thanks everyone. My Mariner is FWD (2wd) only. I didn't think it would be an issue. I was just curious if anyone has done this. The BFG ATKO is a litte too agressive for my application. For an AT tread, I really like the Scorpion ATRs. I had the Scorpion ATs on an Explorer, and loved them. The Firestone Destination ATs also look pretty good. For highway tread, I like the Fortera Tripletreads, or Dueler HL Alenza. I also like the Michelin LTX MS -- and I have experience running these on a 2wd F-150. So many options -- not enough money! I've only bought 1 set of wheels/tires from tirerack. They are an excellent source of information though.

There's no problem at all running an AT tire on an SUV, and a lot of people do it, even on the small SUV's. However, its best to run the same tires on the front and rear. If you put AT's on the front, you should put the same AT's on the rear. This is to minimize traction differences between types, brands, and models of tires.

Quote:

The BFG ATKO is a litte too agressive for my application.

BFG AT and agressive in the same sentence is weird, being a Jeep guy who runs 35" Mickey Thompson Claws. Your Mariner would run fine with the BFG's. I've known people who used them as snow tires on their RWD cars.

I agree. BFG AT KO are silent. The MT (mud terains) is another story. They're great for anything except dedicated off road use with lots of mud. Very good in snow (in a 4wd application) to over 24" of snow (I've successfully naviated 30" ..but you're not "driving" in that instance ..you're launching and cutting a path).

You'll never catch a break on price with a BFG, though.

I use Michelin LTX AT's on my 2wd Ranger. I couldn't be any more impressed with these tires, the traction is great and the wear is even better. They're pretty quiet on the highway as well.

I have to disagree about the loudness and roughness of the BFG ATs... I have them and I went to them after coming from Yokohama Geolader HT-S tires and Michelin Cross Terrains. They are quieter and smoother than both the Michelin and Yokohama and have worn better than either.

If those are too rough, try the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo... good offroad tire with better (dunno if needed), on road manners.

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish with your tires, but another idea would be to try the Nokian WR. It isn't really an AT tire, but it is an "all-weather" tire that is severe snow rated and is designed to be used year-round.

I have run two other types of Nokian snow tires in the past with great success, and I will contemplate getting a set of Nokian WRs for my 4WD 4Runner when the OEMs are shot. The only doubt I have is that I have not seen a lot of feedback on the WRs in this application. Every real-world review that I have seen has been very good, but they are mostly from car owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back