High vs. Low Pressure Rotella

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I noticed a difference in pressure the last 2 days on my truck. It is a 1951 GMC pickup, with a 228 inline 6 engine (full-flow oil system) and filled with Rotella 30w.

The first night I let it warm up at idle for about 10 minutes, and then drove it around town when I noticed the oil pressure was at about 35-40#.

The next night, I started it up, let it warm for about 1 minute, then drove it around town and this time the pressure was at 55-58#.

Any thoughts? I haven't seen it spread out this far before, and I don't have any major oil leaks.....
dunno.gif

GL

Thats how it should operate, more or less.

Cold oil, at cold idle, should have high oil pressure, around 60 psi. Hot oil, at hot idle should have pressure around 35-40 psi. As soon as the throttle is touched the slightest bit, hot oil, off-idle should have pressure of 55-60.

It works that way in all of my vehicles that have pressure gauges, I dont think there is anything wrong or out of the ordinary in the things you noted.

JMH

The oil will not be hot after a warmup of only 1 minute. However, if the engine is running well enough to drive off after 1 minute(assume this vehicle has a carb and a ignition system with points), I'd do so as it will lessen fuel dilution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back