Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 - PP 5W-20 - 8K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Ford Explorer 4.6L V8.
81,502 total miles.
Wife's daily driver. Around town, suburban driving.
PureOne oil filter
Air filter changed halfway through the OCI.
1 quart of makeup oil over the OCI.

This Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 was in for 8,002 miles from 6/5/06- 10/4/06. The previous UOA (a year and a half ago) was on Mobil 1 Extended Performance, same driving conditions, 9,000 miles. This is the third run on PP.

OCI 8002 mi(PP)/9000 mi(M1EP)
Total mi 81,502 mi/59,754/Universal Averages

Aluminum 78/3/3
Chromium 0/1/1
Iron 11/10/14
Copper 12/9/5
Lead 0/0/1
Tin 0/1/0
Moly 53/97/55
Nickel 0/0/1
Manganese 1/0/1
Silver 0/0/0
Titanium 0/0/0
Potassium 2/0/1
Boron 2/57/55
Silicon 29/21/15
Sodium 22/113/7
Calcium 2615/2247/2148
Magnesium 14/11/158
Phos 679/652/731
Zinc 852/873/882
Barium 0/1/2

SUS Visc. 58.3/58.1
Flash Pt. 385/410
Fuel Antifreeze 0/0
Water 0.0/0
Insolubles 0.4/0.3

TBN 2.3/2.6

Blackstone:
Aluminum, copper, and silicon all increased significantly here. Aluminum was the worst and is high enough to think a major problem is developing at the bearings. It can also come from the pistons, though if you had a problem there we would have expected to see high chrome (rings) and iron (cylinders). Copper is also a bearing metal. If this engine has recently had any work done to it, then that may explain all of these readings. If not, we suggest checking your air filter and resample in 2,000 miles. The TBN was still okay at 2.3, so the oil itself still has active additive left.

My comments:
I don't like this one a bit.
frown.gif

Could the high metals possibly be from the timing chain? I do hear a bit of noise the front of the engine. Sounds sort of like a belt tensioner. The motor runs great, though. Smooth as silk and strong.

HELP!
smile.gif

What's up with the Na? Coolant leak? You have some significant wear going on in this engine. I'd contatct Terry.

This looks like abrasive dirt getting into the engine. Check for filter sealing as well as PCV and vacuum leaks.

And people question/criticize why I still change my oil (always the jack-cheapest I can source) and el cheapo SuperTech filter every 3,000 miles, check post-air filter plumbing for silt, and submit an oil sample for analysis every other oil change... (whether the oil's shot isn't the issue - the real issue is assuming all's well over extended operation when the reality may be an entirely different matter)

I've checked the filter and everyting I can find regarding air intake. Everything looks ok.

I've added 4 oz. of VSOT to the 6 quarts of PP 5W-20 I have in the sump already. I'll do another UOA at 2K miles as Blackstone suggested. And...I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

Looks to me that you just went too long. Bad air filter compounded problem.

To reset your baseline, I would go to a MotorCraft filter and oil next round for 4K miles.

A few questions....

1) I assume the timing chain cover is made of Al, as is the rest of the engine?

2) Have you recently changed the coolant or done any other mechanical work to this engine? Even something small like replacing the PCV valve?

3) What oil did you run just prior to the Mobil 1/EP you tested? Was it by chance the Mobil Clean 5000 or 7500?

A final comment...

The LAST thing you want to do when trying to troubleshoot an problem is add to the list of variables to consider. Oil additives contain their own blend of AW and detergent/dispersant components and their use makes it almost impossible to pinpoint the root cause(s) of this type of problems. Change the oil/filter to an engine oil that doesn't contain any sodium/potassium and lets start over. Check for a gross air leak directly into the sump. Test that new batch of PP after 3000 miles and let's see what we have here.

Ray H,

We can still appreciate your highly amusing posts (must be some GOOD drugs), even if you're a Luddite when it comes to vehicle maintenance...;)

TS

A quick tidbit for the group.

The 02-04 4.6L equipped explorer and mountaineer does have an aluminum block, which is unique to the explorer.

Every other 4.6L 2v motor ford has done comes with an iron block.

Don't know if that fits into the mix.

Just to add something here, there was a recall that affected, I believe, 2001-2004 4.6L 2v cylinder heads. Some oil passageways for the overhead cams were not drilled properly, and as a result the cams would not get proper lubrication and would make a ticking sound. I had one head replaced on my 2002 mustang GT for this. The overhead cams on those motors do not ride in bearings, but only the aluminum journals themselves. Aside from bearings, this is the best possible explanation I could add.

BTW-so you know, just a couple years before your model, Ford was recommending 5-30 for the same motor. Nothing changed, they just went to 5-20 for CAFE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back