M1 10w-30 / 2,700 miles / 2002 Jeep - 6 cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little disappointed in this report.
frown.gif
confused.gif
My wife and I are the only owners of this vehicle. I switched over to M1 at around 15k. For the last 2 years my jeep has been driven by my wife only. She works only 10 minutes from where we live. The jeep has not seen much highway for the last two years. The 2,700 miles on this oil sample is mostly short trips and local stop-and-go traffic. I thought M1 was good for this type of driving, but I am re-thinking my oil choice for the jeep. Can someone look at my UOA and help me?

ERIC: Universal averages show typical wear from
the Jeep 4.0L after 4,500 miles on the oil. Your
oil was run less, so we were a little surprised
to see iron (steel parts) read high. It's not
high enough to think a problem is developing,
especially since all other wear looks good. The
mildly high sodium may show a trace of
anti-freeze, though it's hard to say for sure at
this level. There are other sources for sodium,
so it may not be a problem. The TBN was okay at
3.9, showing lots of active additive left. 1.0 is
low. Check back in 3,500 miles to monitor these
findings.

EQUIPMENT MAKE: Jeep
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 4.0L Inline 6 cyl
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
OIL USE INTERVAL: 2,734 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Mobil 1 10W/30
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts

Mi/Hr on Oil 2,734
Mi/Hr on Unit 66,229
Sample Date 09/10/2006

Unit/Universal Ave

ALUMINUM 5/3
CHROMIUM 1/1
IRON 42/25
COPPER 6/4
LEAD 1/4
TIN 1/1
MOLYBDENUM 87/51
NICKEL 1/1
MANGANESE 1/1
SILVER 0/0
TITANIUM 0/0
POTASSIUM 3/2
BORON 45/44
SILICON 10/11
SODIUM 14/9
CALCIUM 2096/2045
MAGNESIUM 11/170
PHOSPHORUS 580/727
ZINC 718/875
BARIUM 0/0

Value Should Be / Tested Value Were

SUS Visosity@210F 59-68 / 58.6
Flashpoint F >365 / 375
Fuel% Antifreeze% 0 / ?
Water% 0.0 / TR
Insolubles% 0.2

Rust (Fe03) and/or corrosive wear...

The best widely available gas engine oil I've seen to combat this type of wear mechanism is the 0w30 Syntec. A low vis, synthetic HDEO would also be good.

TS

Heavy Duty Engine Oil

Rotella or Delvac 5W-40, Amsoil S3k 5W-30 or 15W-40

There may be no oil that works well with a 6month OCI in this service. Maybe any length of service will show proportionally less then stellar results. Mine got like results with an synth HDEO ..but it was 6k instead of 3k. I'd say that this may just be the difference in the shortness of the typical usage. Although my heat exchanger removed all moisture and residual fuel from the oil, the corrosion (or whatever) was still present. The only way to nail it down is to alter the service to a longer mileage service and see if the condition goes away ...or not.

I said Mobil 1 10W30. There have been good results with Havoline, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Chevron and other 10W30's, just not so much with Mobil 1.
I'm using Havoline 10W30 now and will have a UOA to post next week.

There's a tendancy in some engines to throw more Fe with M1 ..or so it seems. Some don't ..a few do. It's been speculated to be a seating effect of the oil. I don't think anyone has nailed down just what the engines that show this have in common. It may be timing chains ..who knows
dunno.gif

FWIW, the Amsoil product I'd run here (due to the cold climate) is their 0w-40, Four Stroke oil ("AFF"),which is formulated with a heavy "treat" of rust/corrosion inhibitors.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back