Newbie with Volvo (nee VW 2.4L) - what oil? CF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I bought this car recently, I was told in no uncertain terms that VW/Volvo recommends 10W30 *only* for this engine.

Have y'all looked for a CF-rated 10W30 lately??

Pretty much all I can find is SuperTech synth (ick) and Mobil1 ($$) in a 10W30. Am I missing something?

HELP?!

VW was recommending 5w-30/10w-30/5w-40/10w-40 grades for all season use in their 1993-1999 diesel engines - this is the same 2.4L engine VW used in the Vanagon. They were recommending SAE 15w-40 for temps > 5F/-15C. They recommend 5w-30 or 5w-40 for their > 1999 to present, light duty diesels - so you are NOT limited to SAE 10w-30. Whoever told you that is simply mis-informed....

You can run an API/CI-4+, ACEA B4, or even the latest ACEA C3-04 or API/CJ-4 spec oils (low ash,sulfur,phosphorus) in this application with excellent results.

A couple of oils that will work here:

Delvac 1, 5w-40, or Mobil 1, 0w-40 (I much prefer the D1)
Shell Rotella T, 5w-40 (Walmart)
Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30,10w-30/ACD, 5w-40
Castrol "Elixion", 5w-30 (hard to find, but excellent)
Petro Canada, "Duron" 5w-40
Castrol Syntec European Formula (look for the ACEA B4 and VW 505.00 specs)
Any 10w-30, HD diesel oil meeting the CI-4+, or new CJ-4 specs (look in truck stops)

Don't be hung up on the 10W-30 bit. 0W-30, 5W-30 and even 10W-30 are all the same for running temps of 212 F where viscoity is around 10 cSt at 100 C.

On the 0W-30 or the 5W-30 it just means it is easier for your engine to turn over after it has completely cooled down and the flow of oil will be better with these oils.

I've run Valvoline 10W-30 before in my Buick PA and the wifes Chevy Lumina. Easy to find at Wal-Mart.

By the way Evan,
welcome.gif
SW Michigan myself, near South Haven.
grin.gif

Darth-Sidious.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

Evan - tell us more about your Volvo diesel. What year? Model?

The car is a 1984 245Diesel, with the M46 4+o/d transmission. The engine is a 2.4l I-6. This engine is an evolution of the 1.6 I-4 VW and 2.0 I-5 Audi. The 2.4 version was originally designed for a commercial van sold by VW (never in the US) called the LT van.

Quote:

VW was recommending 5w-30/10w-30/5w-40/10w-40 grades for all season use in their 1993-1999 diesel engines

Okay, fine. But this is a 1984 diesel engine, so recommendations for 93-99 engines are meaningless to me.

Quote:

this is the same 2.4L engine VW used in the Vanagon.

No, the Vanagon never got an I-6.
Quote:

They were recommending SAE 15w-40 for temps > 5F/-15C. They recommend 5w-30 or 5w-40 for their > 1999 to present, light duty diesels - so you are NOT limited to SAE 10w-30. Whoever told you that is simply mis-informed....

Again, not that I don't appreciate your input, but I have a 1984 engine - not a '93-'99 or '99+ engine.

One problem you are going to have with an engine that old is
it was spec'ed for oils found in 1984. I'm betting 5w30 was pretty bad in 1984 which might be why it spec's 10w30
Pretty much any oil should be fine as long as its rated for
diesel use.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you probably should have posted the age in the initial topic or title which would have cleared up the mystery of the first few replies.

Quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you probably should have posted the age in the initial topic or title which would have cleared up the mystery of the first few replies.

Oops, sorry! I forgot that not everyone knows Volvos like I know Volvos. They quit selling the Volvo Diesel in the USA in 1985.

Sorry,

Evan

I own and service several Volvo D24/D24T diesels. The only thing that I have seen that works is Mobil 1 5w30 in all temperatures. These engines suffer from severe cylinder wall wear and ring sticking when a 15w40 oil is used. I have had many apart, and have used Mobil 1 5w30 for hundreds of thousands of miles. Also, the Mobil 1 will clean up the engine and free up rings over time.
I really have not tried 5w40 synthetic, however I know that with Mobil 1 5w30 there is virtually zero wear, so there has been no reason for me to change. Can't get much better than that!
Also, if you need parts or service or accessories, let me know... I got tons of them here!
smile.gif

Sure, Volvoist. I've been in contact with you before. And I know not to use anything greater than xW30. I'm currently using the 10W30 SuperTech from wallyworld. Pressure is a bit high at low temp under load. Isn't 8 bar high? Well, soon I move to a warmer climate and switch to straight 30.

the 5w30 synthetic is safe for all temperatures. I know many people that use it in the D24 in the southern and northern climates. You would probably even be OK with Rotella synthetic 5w40, but I have never tested it. 30w is a bit too thick as they need the 5w for a cold start even in warmer climates. I would stick with a 5w.

Volvoist: I remember those 245D's and I thought they were almost bulletproof?

Are they a good candidate for bio?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back