John Deere Plus 50 0w-40 in TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife drives a non-PD TDI....Had run Delvac 1 in it most of the time, tried a change of RTS, and last 2 changes have been Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40. I had thought about going to Amsoil 5w-30HDD for the winter but it seems like these engines throw a lot more iron with a 30wt oil vs. 40. So now I am thinking of trying a 10K run of the John Deere 0w-40 thru the TDI and then I can add it to my little database of UOAs on it to see which works the best consistently. Maybe I will settle on an oil before we wear the car out! Just wanted to see if anyone had had any experience with it in passenger vehicles before....I am using it in my loader tractor that gets started every morning in the winter.

For one thing, I have to order the Schaeffer's in relative bulk (case) to even bother with it. Also, I have a bunch of 0w-40 Deere oil sitting here for my tractors anyways to be used and don't need a case of 9000 on top of it.

Probably the main reason is that we have had noticably reduced mileage running the 9000 vs. Delvac 1. I don't know if it has anything to do with the remarkably high HTHS spec on this oil or what--seems like there is a lot of evidence to suggest that higher HTHS spec oils hurt fuel economy to some extent, and a few percentage points drop show up big time on a 40 MPG care. From the day we put the 9000 in, the wife has never managed 40 MPG on mostly highway miles, when ~42 is the norm. It is really the only variable--car got new tires during the first Schaeffer run and was aligned, no help. Has new air filter, tires pumped, etc. We run the same fuel every tank, same fuel additives. Everything is tuned and running right.

I am going to give the Deere oil a shot and see if the mileage doesn't perk up some, of course now we are going to be running into winter fuel and whatnot so it won't be apples to apples.

PAO based synthetics have a lower coefficient of "intrafluid" friction than Group III based oils. In addition, fuel efficiency is inversely related to HT/HS viscosity as you've observed.

For the wintertime, I'd use the Amsoil 10w-30/ACD if you want a reasonably priced, low viscosity synthetic. This product has been on the market since 1975 and is extremely well proven. A xw-30 will perform better than an xw-40 in terms of fuel effiency, since it has a significantly lower viscosity even under steady state conditions on the highway....

The Amsoil 10w-30 is basically a lower viscosity version of their 15w-40/AME product and offers excellent wear protection and long service life.

TS

Different engine and application, but my Mainship Trawler with a CAT
3116 300hp TA loves the ACD Amsoil 10W-30 (straight 30 really).
Craig

The Amsoil 30wt/ACD has always been more like an SAE 15w-30 until they reformulated it and bumped the VI from 127 up to 141. That was enough to allow it to pass the CCS viscosity requirements for an SAE 10w-30.

TS

Keep in mind that changing tires may also affect your mileage. I lost 3-4 mpg after switching from the LRR tires on my TDI to another brand. Nothing else was changed. Just last week, I put the original tires back on my car (as a test) and got 835 miles out of that tankful. My mileage is back and no other changes were made.
smile.gif

Tires didn't matter to our car when we changed, it got worse once we put the Schaeffer's in, and the new tires and alignment didn't help.

If I were going to use a 30wt oil I would probably use the 5w-30HDD as it is supposed to be Amsoil's premier basestock/add pack!?!? It seems like TDIs throw more iron with 30wt oils so I thought I would stick with the 40, since most trips are long and when the car is warm. If it was a 5 mile trip each way to work for her, I would probably lean with the 30wt.

People who didn't start out with LRR tires usually see no mileage difference. That sounds like your situation. A friend here in our local TDI group uses the Amsoil 3000 5W-30 and is quite pleased with it. I have never used (and won't) a 30-weight in my TDI. My Fe numbers have been excellent with 5W-40. No reason to change.
smile.gif

If I ever switch from Delvac 1, I'll likely try the Schaeffer's 9000.

I have been trying to dig up a MSDS for the Deere Plus 50 0w-40 synth but I cannot find one anywhere. I just want to know what base oil it is made from.

After reading the links, it makes me a little nervous to run this oil. I think I am going to send in a VOA to be on the safe side. All the MSDS sheets I got were Canadian and showed ESSO to be the manufacturer, when I believe Chevron makes this product in the US? Wish it was PAO based, would make me feel better about the wider viscosity spread over 10K miles.

UnDummy: Out of dumb curiousity, why do you recommend a 3K run and rinse prior to the 10K UOA run? Just to get the Schaeffer's out completely so the Deere oil sample is pure?

If Esso manufactures it and it is a group III, it is still an excellent product. However, if you can get your hands on Esso XD3 0W40, that is a Group IV PAO based HDEO.

I don't believe that I can get ahold of any Esso XD3, but I don't think the stock I have of the Deere oil is Esso anyways. It appears that Esso is their Canadian supplier whereas Chevron is the US supplier. I would assume that if the Canadian version is GIII that it would be safe to assume the same for the US version.

I sent a VOA off Friday for the stuff I have to see how it comes back in terms of add pack. I did not like the discrepancies reported in the linked post above from a previous VOA.

I think that if Deere is recommending the kind of interval they are with this oil in $20,000+ engines, and covering them with a warranty, it probably is pretty decent stuff. The best? Maybe not, but probably right up there. High TBN, stout AW package, and perfect viscosity range for my area, I think it is worth a shot. I bought a crapload of it for 3.00 a qt. off Ebay so I don't have a ton of $$$ in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back