Redline MTL in a Corvette T56 6-speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the Redline MTL a suitable fluid for a Corvette T56 (this is for an 02 Corvette) with it's carbon fiber blocking rings and other internal components? Does anyone have long term experience with this?

I use Mobil1 ATF in my 2003 Z06. I changed to Mobil1 when grinding started at about 14K miles. At 24K miles, not a grind so far.

Red Line MTL does not work well in the Ford Contour and Ford Focus MTX75. It sludges up enough to clog up the lubrication channels in the differential cross shafts. I would avoid this fluid.

Quote:

Here is the thread. It is a very long and sometimes heated discussion. The first pictures show up on page 6.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showfl...part=1&vc=1

That threads a mess. Theres hardly any pictures. It seems like those Contour manual transmissions are failing no matter what lube is used.

crushedcar.gif

Last edited:
Actually it is a very strong transmission. It will hold up just fine to well over 400 WHP. The weak link in the trans is the final drive which can fail if wheel hop is induced on a hard launch. The cure is to install an LSD which replaces the weakness with a much more robust component. Once that is done, the trans have proven to be very strong.

The picture on page 6 shows the wear on the differential cross shaft due to sludge build up in the lubrication channels. There is no excuse for this. RedLine MTL is the only gear lube that has shown to cause this problem.

Yes, that thread rambles on with a lot of discussion and it will take some patience to go through it all.

It would have been nice if someone would have obtained an oil analysis on the lube from one of the failed transmissions.

If it was a strong transmission, it wouldn't be breaking.

20 pages of garbage to read through.

It seems that lack of maintenance, too much power, and owner abuse are causing issues.

I just don't see how Redline is getting the blame. Oh, I do. Its easiest to blame the recently installed fluid and not the fact that the tranny was never maintained.

And, if those Contour owners want some real info instead of spreading or creating hearsay, let them VOA and UOA their fluids and do some comparison 30k runs. Just make sure that they start with a clean transmission. Don't want any other fluids clean up 100k+ miles of varnish, crud, sludge, and whatever else that is built up, and cause a failure.

Perhaps i didn't express myself well. The weak point on the transmission is the differential. Otherwise they are nearly bullet proof.

Some of the transmissions with heavy sludge were recently rebuilt. The only ones found with sludge in them were using RedLine MTL.

I absolutely agree that they should have had an oil analysis, but they didn't.

Since this have only shown up on transmission using RedLine MTL and RedLine didn't seem to care, it is wise to view this product with concern.

I'm sorry that you don't care for the way that the thread developed, but there are some messy threads here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back