All Moly Additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lubromoly makes an additive with only MoS2 in it (other than carrier oil), but the bad part is that it uses MoS2 which is oil-insoluble, instead of MoDTC which dissolves in oil. I bought it and am afraid to use it since my fear that all those solids might coagulate or settle out in my oil disturbs me. I'm going to contact Lubromoly with my concerns.

Quote:

Lubromoly makes an additive with only MoS2 in it (other than carrier oil), but the bad part is that it uses MoS2 which is oil-insoluble, instead of MoDTC which dissolves in oil. I bought it and am afraid to use it since my fear that all those solids might coagulate or settle out in my oil disturbs me. I'm going to contact Lubromoly with my concerns.

Please do, I have 2 cans sitting/waiting in the garage.

Here's the VOA from motorbike's post a couple of years ago.
Fe 3
Al 15
Copper 3
Tin 169
Si 20
Moly 7603
Zn - trace
Phos - greater than 9999 -max of instrument reading capability.
Antimony- greater than 9999 - max of instrument reading capability
Viscosity 29.3

Quote:

Here's the VOA from motorbike's post a couple of years ago.
Fe 3
Al 15
Copper 3
Tin 169
Si 20
Moly 7603
Zn - trace
Phos - greater than 9999 -max of instrument reading capability.
Antimony- greater than 9999 - max of instrument reading capability
Viscosity 29.3

This is torco mpz oil additive.

Quote:

Is there any Moly additives that have MoDTC?

are most makers of synthetic motor oil switching from phosphorus to moly. I read that too much phosphorus will shorten the life of a cat. converter ? Or, Are they just cutting back on the phosphorus & adding more moly ?

Quote:

Yeah, I think most of them use MoDTC instead of MoS2. A really cool additive with MoDTC and other compounds is SX-UP from Specialty Formulations. Member MolaKule developed it. I haven't used it yet but all indications are that it's great stuff and it even contains four types of esters and is not goopy thick like many other additives you find at the autoparts store.

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I think most of them use MoDTC instead of MoS2. A really cool additive with MoDTC and other compounds is SX-UP from Specialty Formulations. Member MolaKule developed it. I haven't used it yet but all indications are that it's great stuff and it even contains four types of esters and is not goopy thick like many other additives you find at the autoparts store.

Thanks! I'll have to look into that. Liqui Moly definitely uses MoS2 though right?

Yep, I just the LiquiMoly stuff in our '00 Grand Cherokee.
It's got MoS2 "dust" in it, a lot of it. The word "slurry" came to mind and I wondered if the particles were small enought to make it thru an oil filter. Since it looked like I could see individual "grains" I think a filter might catch most of it.

Valvoline VSOT also has moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back