Rislone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I bought one of those add at anytime bottles of Rislone and I put it in my car, in my oilpan full of GC. Shut up, I don't care what you think. Yes, I know the VOA shows next to nothing, but I now believe that there is more than meets the eye when it comes to a UOA/VOA. I am changing my oil on Monday. I'm in a bad mood.

Excellent reasoning. I think this program will definitely pay dividends in both engine longevity and mental passivity from knowing you did the right thing for your engine.

Quote:

Shut up, I don't care what you think.

Actually, Dr Phil will probably recommend that you "verbalize" this anger.

I'd suggest adding, "And stick it where the sun don't shine" or whatever the Canadian equivalent is.
cool.gif

Seriously, I'm a newly converted believer in Rislone. My GM 5.3L engine started to make the 5-10 seconds of mild piston slap at startup, near the end of a recent OCI.

I tossed in half a 32 oz. bottle of Rislone that was sitting on the shelf, and was pleasantly surprised to have the engine noise at start-up, go away, for the 10 days until the oil change.

Rislone lists some of the ingredients on the MSDS as "proprietary", & I would'nt be the least surprised if esters are now included in the formulation.

I believe there are esters listed for their "Winter Start" product.

I watched a pizza delivery guy purchase and install a concentrated bottle of Rislone in his car the other day. I was itching to tell him that the VSOT for the same price was much better, but bit my lip as people generally do what they want to do anyway. The one time I did recommend VSOT in the store, the guy bought the Lucas stuff anyway. But the pizza guy could least afford to waste his money.

I was a 25 year, one quart of Rislone every oil change, guy. I quit when I saw the VOA.

There are other products that show nothing in the VOA.
As already said, VOA and MSDS do not give you enough info on every product.

There is nothing wrong with the Rislone. But, you need to use it for a while. Add anytime pints is a wa$te. Buy the quart and use it at the oil change for the full interval. Use motor oil as the top off if there is a oil consumption problem.

I haven't see VSOT in a while.

And, without knowing 'why' someone is purchasing the Rislone or Lucas, making any recommendation is foolish.

True, there other products show nothing in the VOA, but after 175,000 miles of faithfully adding a quart of Rislone every oil change, my '84 4.9L F150 still got a tapping lifter on cold start.

Before I quit using the stuff, I thought the add anytime pints were a better deal because Rislone says it has just as much of the active ingredients, but less of the carrier oil.

I see VSOT at Murrays Auto, which is in southern lower Michigan and a few neighboring states.

Good point, I don't know why the pizza guy was buying Rislone. His mechanic may have told him to do it. But then I had a mechanic that told me to use Duralube (teflon stuff). Anyway, if he was trying to free up sticky hydraulic lifters, VSOT would not have been a good route. VSOT would have been a better alternative than the Lucas stuff though.

Anyway, whether it is good or not, I won't use Rislone anymore. If I feel I need a thin oil additive to clean or free things up, I have Schaeffer's 131 Neutra.

FWIW, Three years ago inquired of Rislone about the low additives and got the following response:

Quote:

We have seen this same response before and have asked our tribologist to respone. The following is his comment:

"Rislone is an Engine Treatment and not an engine oil and, in fact, I would say it is an Engine Treatment System. Each of its multiple components has been selected to accomplish its original intended purpose, that being creating a cleaner, better performing engine. Rislone has a unique blend of components all selected for this purpose. The formulation integrity has remained unchanged with minor exceptions only implemented to address changing engine requirements and compatibilities of such. While there are detergents in Rislone, they are not the most critical of the various components in Rislone.

The ca and zinc values are less than expected and in a typical motor oil which is correct. Our specifications currently have Zn around 550-600 ppm and calcium is around 1000 to 1100 ppm. There is also a fair amount of a very shear stable viscosity modifier in the package."

I do not know the qualifications or expertise of the person who quotes "you ain't gonna (?) be happy with Rislone Engine Treatment, but it is a product that has been on the market over 80 years. If, as he states "you ain't gonna (?) be happy", I doubt we would have remained in business very long. We have a Testimonial File that would say there are many users of Rislone who are delighted with the product.

Sales Department

What they responded to:
Quote:

I was recommending Rislone Engine Treatment on a website and got the following response

"...I have the technical breakdown on Rislone [Engine Treatment]. I would suggest that you don't read it as you ain't gonna be happy. All elements zero except those listed.
Zinc 376 ppm
Phos. 348 ppm
Calcium 781 ppm
Vis @ 100C 9.21 (means it's a 20w mineral oil)
Again, you can get more value out of a cheap bottle of Wallys oil than these mystical additives."

I always thought Rislone had increased additives, but the zinc shown here is about 1/3 that of normal motor oil, yet your MSD shows 0.1% (1000 ppm) of zinc. Can you folks correct what this fellow said?

dumb question, but everyone talks about rislone, slob, vsot, etc...

Whatr ever happened to the popular Schaeffers #132, super thick but moly and antimony-filled oil additive???

Seems to me that a few years ago, this stuff hads a lot of followers.

JMH

Also the #132 was called Moly EP Oil Treatment but the VOA showed very little moly. I think MolaKule explained it though, either a form of moly that doesn't pick up or needed little to do the job. Think had a tackifier too. Interesting stuff and unique pleasant odor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back