Synthetic for Cummins turbo diesel BEI Harvester?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a BEI Grape Harvester at our winery. Our vineyard manager uses SAE 30W oil in it, along with ALL the other tractors we have. He uses the harvester in the fall when the temps are a bit on the coolish side and sometimes he has to put heat lamps on the oil pan to get the engine started. What do you think? Wouldn't better grade oil and perhaps synthetic oil help him out, along with the Ford TN95, the Ford 1900 and Ford 3000 tractors?

I can see 30W only if he were farming in Colorado or Nebraska in the summer, but here in SW Michigan, it really doesn't get that hot out.

Would the 10W-30 or the 10W-40, etc oils you can get for automobile specs do well for these agriculture applications?

Last edited:
Head across the border for Esso XD3 0w40. Probably won't even need to plug in. Most Cummins are designed to run on 40 weight anyways.

Esso XD3 0W-40.. is it found at Auto Zone? What can I find locally, either from Auto Zone, Wal-Mart etc, or from a local Amsoil dealer?

BTW New forum board. How do I get it to send me an email that I have a response?
offtopic.gif

NB,

Any of the Group III based, 5w-40's would be a big improvement over what he's using. I'd also recommend some of the Amsoil Cetane boost for treating the fuel. If you have bulk fuel storage, one pint can in 80-100 gallons of fuel will do the trick.

TS

Sounds good on the Cetane boost. I've also looked at Amsoil 10W30/30W as better than his straight 30W oil. I belive it will pour a lot easier (aka PUMP) when it is cool to cold. Why he runs straight 30 weight in the tractors in the winter.. who knows!! Probably because that is all he has in the shop is a nearly empty drum of straight 30 weight oil.

What about the email response?
confused.gif
dunno.gif

Wal mart in Canada for 22.96 Canadian. Group IV PAO. It would be Exxon in the US and harder to find.

You could also run to your local john deere delaership and buy their 0w-40 synth which is rumored to be the exact same thing as the Esso 0w-40. I am running some of it and it works great in the winter time. About 7 bucks a bottle.

Well, My thought is leaning toward the Amsoil 10W-30/30W Heavy Duty Diesel. Imagine an engine that runs from mid August to mid October (avg), and intermittently ie not every day. Imagine it's cool in the mid 30 F to 55 F in that range. Now put it up for all winter and summer. I think the Amsoil has better anti corrosion additives than a lot of the other oils. I am thinking too it can probably go beyond one year for oil change with this little period of actually running the engine.

Darth-Sidious.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back