Unlimited fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to start a topic, and work our brains, what single source of fuel, or combination of ingredients to create fuel, would the US have the most abundant supply of, for transportation. I know there are many variable involved here. I think our natural gas supply here in the states is abundant, but am not sure. Coal?

On another subject, the X-1 rocket plane flown by Chuck Yeager, was powered by liquid oxygen and alcoholwater(?), pressurized with nitrogen. Has, or could, this combination ever been applied to power an automotive engine? And again, how abundant would this fuel be?

Did someone say GARBAGE?

Mr Fusion comes to mind.

-

On a business trip to Sweden last month I was suprised that most of their buses are powered by biogas. Garbage is collected and fermented in bioreactors to produce CO2 and methane. The methane is purified and used as fuel. The only solid waste from this process is compost which is used as fertilzer.
cheers.gif

Cars are available in Gothenburg that run on both gasoline and biogas. A switch is used to change from one tank to the other.

Here in the US, biodiesel would be another option.
patriot.gif

mormit - The methane is purified and used as fuel. The only solid waste from this process is compost which is used as fertilzer.

Don't eat any food grown with this fertilizer!
nono.gif

In order to supply the current thirst for diesel the US has now, it would take land 3 times the size of Texas to raise crops necessary for this quantity of biodiesel. And to top that off we use 3 times as much gasoline.

quote:

Originally posted by Pick:
In order to supply the current thirst for diesel the US has now, it would take land 3 times the size of Texas to raise crops necessary for this quantity of biodiesel. And to top that off we use 3 times as much gasoline.

Yeah, but there's MILLIONS of gallons of used restaurant oil just going to waste. If all of that oil was collected and turned into biodiesel it would make a HUGE difference in US oil useage.

If you want an interesting read concerning liquid fuels from a variety of hydrocarbon sources, Google the words; "fisher tropsch" or "gas to liquids" or GTL.

From either you can see that the world is awash in natural gas that has no intrinsic value where it is located, but it can be made into light distillates (kerosene and diesel, to name a couple) more cheaply than it can be made into LNG, transported, and regassified.

Because of the viability of this process, and the need for those who have the gas to make it into a marketable product, I predict diesel will be the King fuel in 10 years or so. It already is in Europe.

rmw,
that's the reason I'm making a concerted effort to join the diesel crowd. My current family car is a turbodiesel.

If I can ever sell the 4Runner, I'll replace it waith a small Japanese diesel ute.

Also, biodiesel is the only realistic "green" liquid fuel at present time. Can be run 0 to 100% without engine work...unlike alcohols.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
that's the reason I'm making a concerted effort to join the diesel crowd.

I believe this is a wise effort for one to make.

Having already been a member of the diesel crowd, I am making a concerted effort to learn about possible alternative fuels.

- Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back