Going for a personal distance record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured I would share this with you guys since some of you are pretty regular riders and can appreciate the feat. Besides, I'm pretty stoked!

This Sunday, one of the guys I ride with and I will be attempting a personal distance record. We have mapped (and driven) an approx 108 mile circuit. We will be riding unsupported and plan rest stops at some of the local country shops. We are not going for a speed record here but will guess an average of 15-16 over the distance.

For grins and giggles, a link to the map is available (later in the day) if interested.

My previous PR for distance was 101. My previous PR for total dist in a 2 day period was 183.

Thanks for "listening".

I hate replying to my own topic but I can't edit it now.

End result was 111.07 @ 17.26 mph. I think the speed would have been faster but we had a nasty, nasty, nasty headwind for 50 miles or so.

Oh well...just thought I'd share.

Awesome Dude,

That' inspires me. I'm supposed to to do a 100 miler this month and there are a lot of climbs and such. I hope I can do as wel as you.

Thanks for posting

msparks,

Thanks for the response! Here is the route I did: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=366239

The Gmap site is an awesome resource for mapping rides. If you switch to hybrid after mapping, you can zoom way in, and even see your house!

The overhead images are approx 2 years old but still pretty good.

Enjoy your ride. This is the second century I have done and, by far, the most difficult ride mentally. I had a riding partner who dropped around 65 miles so I did the rest solo. We were going to have three but the third guy broke a couple of ribs when he fell cycling a couple weeks ago. I'm not the expert by any means but I have been told that you can do approx double the mileage you are comfortable with. I want to try a 125 next.
smile.gif

Thats fantastic, the longest I've done is on the MS150 in New Jersey. 150 miles, 2 days, well supported though - typically over 6000 riders.

Dang, my record was a 100K (60 mile) ride in the late 1970's. My recent record is 25 miles, on the Western Maryland Rail Trail. I felt I could go further but ran out of time. I'm 45 now so slowing down a little.

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
Dang, my record was a 100K (60 mile) ride in the late 1970's. My recent record is 25 miles, on the Western Maryland Rail Trail. I felt I could go further but ran out of time. I'm 45 now so slowing down a little.

25 miles on the trails is pretty good actually. I ride with a guy who is 54 so age is no excuse and I got humbled by a 70 year old guy during an MS 150 one year!
smile.gif

I kind of gave up the off-road riding as I develope a taste for speed and long distance stuff. It used to be that 10-20 miles in the woods was something for me. Now, 50 miles on the road is a light ride.

My longest day ride is 200 miles, in 93 degree heat no less. Took about 15 hours. Ride was totally unsupported.

By contrast I did the Hotter'n **** Hundred in 5:35.

For those who don't know, that is incredible!

I ride about 100 miles a week during the season here in Florida. Not in summer. And, that is about all I can do.

Chris

I finished the Bay Area Triple Century ride back in 1987 when I was still active duty Air Force - 300 miles in 24 hours. We started @ 5:00 am on Saturday and finished about 3:00 am on Sunday.

This was a very well organized ride sponsered by the SF Bay Cycling club. About every 50 miles someone had a buffet set up in their garage and you could use the facilities. You start out in the South Bay, ride across the Golden Gate Bridge, then turn east and completely loop the bay.

I must have eaten two dozen bananas on that ride and couldn't look at one for months after that. Bike was my 23", Trek 520 "tri" frame, with Renolds 531 tubing and Shimano 600 components.

TS

Congrats to all you ultra-endurance freaks.
wink.gif
I did a metric century this past Saturday, & that was all I could handle. There were guys who did the full century, 102 miles, in just a few minutes more than I did 62 miles. Amazing, to say the least.

WW,

My friend Phil did this triple century on a mountain bike with knobby tires! We rode together the whole way.

Did you sell that old Rockhopper by the way? It looked like a good deal....

TS

Ted,
Your friend Phil sounds like a crazy man!
smile.gif
A 3X Century on a MTB!??? You've got to be incredibly tough to do that.
Yes, I sold the Rockhopper. I wound up getting $70 more for it on eBay than what I was asking for it here. Yippeeee!
smile.gif

Jason

Guess I need to get my butt back on my hybrid. I think the most I ever did non-stop was about 50 miles. But, that was a while ago.

I've done three century rides. All supported by NOLA cycling clubs. I consider them my finest athletic achievements by far. Longest unsupported training ride was 75 miles solo. It's been a while. I grew up riding banana seat bikes all over the NOLA area. My first big purchase after graduating from school and becoming employed was not a car but a yellow Schwinn LeTour which is still hanging out in a shed. My current bike is a Specialized Allez which my son has at graduate school. I'll be getting it back over the holidays as it's a bit small for him and he has his eyes on a newer model. My riding is mostly limited these days to a Craftsman mower.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back