Bike chain lube success!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After nearly 12 years of trying different things, I finally found a chain lube combo I like.

First the details:

I ride only on the road, with a converted hybrid bike. I have very high quality parts and componentry on an old but comfortable (my favorite) frame. The reason for this weird combo is that I am a dirt bike rider. The real road bikes do not feel right to me.

I ride between 20 and 24 miles every other day. When I am feeling good, I ride every day. So a min of 100 miles a week and sometimes much more.

I have been active in bicycling since 1994, with just pleasure riding before that.

So here is my solution:

BelRay ultra clean motorcycle chain lube (contains only Zinc) PLUS GT85 bicycle lube sprayed on after the BelRay dries.

This combo works wonders for me. Does not attract dirt (a big problem here in Florida) and works well when raining (another big FL prob). It also lasts a very long time between lubes! The shifting is also great.

Chris

Great info! I currently use the White Lightning but as everyone knows, it isn't exactly the cleanest (although advertised to be) and will gunk up. It doesn't attract the dirt but just builds up a bit.

Interesting combo. Shimano Slippery Spit is a good chain lube too. I limit White Lightning to cables (its best application), pivots, and chains on indoor wind-trainer bikes!

I have been expermenting with half Marvel and 10w-30 Schaeffers,though seems to attract dust/dirt,but lubes well,,,also on another bike ( I have 18) Slick 50 in aresol,works great,also found out remove chain soak in solvent tank,get the chain CLEAN,the stuff it somes with is ,um just to keep it from rusting,,Schaeffers pentro-90 works really good on my other bikes,stays in place inspite of lower vis,clean,yes Pentro 9- on a chain in the long run is worth a consider..BL

I like Prolink, but I'm sure your recipe is much cheaper. I have similar conditions as you in the dirt/sand area and I try to stay out of the rain, but sometimes it's unavoidable. Thanks for the homebrew info!

Quote:

After nearly 12 years of trying different things, I finally found a chain lube combo I like.

First the details:

I ride only on the road, with a converted hybrid bike. I have very high quality parts and componentry on an old but comfortable (my favorite) frame. The reason for this weird combo is that I am a dirt bike rider. The real road bikes do not feel right to me.

I ride between 20 and 24 miles every other day. When I am feeling good, I ride every day. So a min of 100 miles a week and sometimes much more.

I have been active in bicycling since 1994, with just pleasure riding before that.

So here is my solution:

BelRay ultra clean motorcycle chain lube (contains only Zinc) PLUS GT85 bicycle lube sprayed on after the BelRay dries.

This combo works wonders for me. Does not attract dirt (a big problem here in Florida) and works well when raining (another big FL prob). It also lasts a very long time between lubes! The shifting is also great.

Chris

where can you get this stuff??

The Bel Ray ULTRA CLEAN chain lube is a motorcycle product. It is often available at motorcycle shops. It contains Zinc and a carrier. It is my belief that it applies JUST ZINC to the chain, no oil at all.

The GT85 is available at most bicycle shops. It is a form of light oil. More so than WD40, which does not work well in this brew.

Still having success with this combo.

Chris

Here's a good approximation of the ProLink lube mentioned above: 3 or 4 parts Odorless Mineral Spirits to 1 part Synthetic Motor Oil (5W-20, 10W-30, just about anything will do). Mix that up and wet the chain with it while running it backwards. Let that soak in for 5 or 10 minutes, then wipe it clean. Repeat this two or three times until the chain is clean, dry and without any gunk on the inside. Your good to go for 200 or 300 miles, unless it rains. If it does, repeat the process.

Dupont dry film teflon/moly has been working well for me (get it at lowes). Sprays like solvent so penetrates well but leaves a dry kind of waxy film that repels dirt well. Using it on motorcycles, airdyne and mt bike.

Quote:

Dupont dry film teflon/moly has been working well for me (get it at lowes). Sprays like solvent so penetrates well but leaves a dry kind of waxy film that repels dirt well. Using it on motorcycles, airdyne and mt bike.

What department did you find it in?

Over 30 years of cycling I have tried most chain lubes, including car gearbox oil. I now have settled on using a wet lube made by Finish Line and clean and re-lube every week or so, my wife and I both do around 150 miles per week. I have tried using the dry lube which sort of sets like a grease but this makes the chain harder to clean. By the way I clean the chains using compressed air and it is so easy.
Roger

Quote:

Quote:

What department did you find it in?

Rack in aisle near the tools in our store. Blue can labled "Dupont Teflon Multi-Use".

Quote:

It is often available at motorcycle shops. It contains Zinc and a carrier. It is my belief that it applies JUST ZINC to the chain, no oil at all.

Chris

It may contain zinc but it is mostly white graphite, the reason for the color, and it is very good stuff. That what I use on my motorcycles and will be using on my bike. I tried the Dupont lube from Lowe's but it did'nt last long enough to suit me so the Bel-Ray Super Clean will go on the chain next time

I have been using the same recipe that Chuckdu mentioned above (mineral spirits/synthetic motor oil) for years, ride about 5K miles a year, and just love the way it works. As a plus, you can't beat the cost if you make it yourself.

SPIKE

Are "mineral spirits" just paint thinner??
Is just one a mineral spirit?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Great! I can't wait to try it on my motor bike. I'm tired of the constant buildup of dirt on my wife's mountain bike.

PS For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, I have a 80cc two stroke engine mounted on my wife's mountain bike frame and powered by a chain to the rear tires. www.thatsdax.com or www.motoredbikes.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back