Does this look like a decent bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of riding will you and your wife be doing? This bike looks "ok" for a lower end bike. The fork ends are welded and not stamped which is a plus. IMO though, you will be paying $245 + $39 for an untested (by your wife) ride. You will probably need to pay someone to assemble it as well as bikes are usually shipped "dealer" ready with some assembly required. May be another $30-50. Before you do this, look at your local bike shops and checkout their lower end stuff. If you're just looking for a occasional ride,then this one doesn't look that bad. And once again, IMO, it is better to pay a little more and get a little better equipment that you will be happy with. This bike does look a lot better than anything you can get at Wally World though.

With bicycles, you get what you pay for (as long as you are careful and study).

There is no way a 300 dollar bike has any high end quality components on it. However, that may be just fine for your intended use.

So, from what I can see, this bike is about the same quality as what is sold in my local bike shops/costco for similar money.

it is probably fine for pleasure riding... if you find a weak component, youll want to replace it with something higher quality, (might cost 1/3 or more of the bike cost!!!) but thats the way it goes with bikes.

Id definitely be concerned that youre not road testing it. You might be able to extrapolate by going to a real bike shop (or even kmart and wal mart) and seeing what size frame fits you... but even them its just an extrapolation, as every frame geometry is different by this or that.

For $280, Id buy a lower end trek MTB/hybrid (one of my good friends just got one... a 2800 I think?!?) and youll be getting something that you tested first, and suppoting your local business while youre at it.

JMH

A lot of "snooty" bike people here. This bike will work fine for you or your wife. If you plane on doing extreme biking then you may want to get something better. However, the average rider doesn't need a 1200 dollar bike.

Bike people are like the folks in that VW commercial about "ego emissions". Hey, everybody, I just spend 3600 on a carbon fiber bike to save a couple of pounds.

As for supporting local businesses, its a global internet based economy. Let them fend for themselves. My local bike shop ripped off my wife when she took my bike in for a simple chain replacement that I couldn't do because of my work schedule. They talked her into a 75 dollar tuneup which didn't even replace the worn brake pads but did include 36 dollars of "parts".

Youre right - sometimes bike shops will overcharge for services, just like auto garages and dealerships.

But there is no smarts in gambling thatthe bike geometry and size will be comfortable for riding... You need to do better then be self professed "I'm not educated on bicycles" to have a sure shot on an internet bought bike...

IMO his $280 is better spent on a bike he can try out first. He doesnt have tospend $1200 at a bike shop for something decent.

JMH

Thanks for the replies. I already know the frame size and the bike looks to be more adjustable to fit than most (has an adjustable handlebar stem and she likes the upright riding position). What I was after more than anything is the overall quality of the components. I have looked at the local shops and this is a good bit cheaper than anything I have found with an aluminum frame. I have a Motobecane road bike from the 1970s that I still use from time to time so I assume this company will be around for a while longer.

Looks like a fair bargain to me,good brand and is more than likely better that Wall lice world bikes,only rember after you get the bike you may need to take to a bike shop to put together correctly,that may cost anothor 50 dollars or so..BL

quote:

Originally posted by Drew:
A lot of "snooty" bike people here. This bike will work fine for you or your wife. If you plane on doing extreme biking then you may want to get something better. However, the average rider doesn't need a 1200 dollar bike.

Bike people are like the folks in that VW commercial about "ego emissions". Hey, everybody, I just spend 3600 on a carbon fiber bike to save a couple of pounds.

As for supporting local businesses, its a global internet based economy. Let them fend for themselves. My local bike shop ripped off my wife when she took my bike in for a simple chain replacement that I couldn't do because of my work schedule. They talked her into a 75 dollar tuneup which didn't even replace the worn brake pads but did include 36 dollars of "parts".

Doesn't appear to be anyone here with their nose up in the air but you and your beef with bike shops. And who said anything about a $3600 Carbon Fiber set up? There is no point in spending $400 for something you will be unhappy with. You might as well save yourself $250 a buy a 40lb Wally World bike you will hate.

The point is that you can find a comparably priced (and possibly better quality) bike locally for around the "same" money. Some shops even offer free tune ups for a year with bikes purchased there.

Sorry your wife got hosed but there should have been a "no work without prior authorization" clause. Who will service the bike you buy off the internet...? Hmmm.

Go to the real bicycle forums to confirm this, but I believe that Motobecane is pretty much the same as Schwinn now - made in China by a mass bicycle producer and the only thing Motobecane about it, is the badge. Lesson - don't rely on it's 70's quality and name to carry thru today. Ahhhhh, the 70's ten speed craze - my beloved Gitane.....

It still could be fine for your use and possibly as good as a TREK, only cheaper. If you can wrench, then local support is less important.

Again, go to bicycling.com or roadbikereview to get some real comparisons and opinions.

I was a part owner of a small bike shop and saw what the trickle down was,and you can windup with a decent quality bicycle for around 300 dollars,shop in december and january for best deals in a bike shop,and pay cash,,the bicycle mentioned above is a fine bike,for the money,you do not need to spend alot of $ for quality trans. the set up is what is what is a factor in any bicycle,that is why BICYCLE SHOPS EXIST remeber after a year or two you can trade in your bike to upgrade at most bike places if you like it,,BL

I'd take the bike to a local shop for a fitting if you do buy it. Fit is CRITICAL to bicycle enjoyment.

But really, it's better to buy locally because that same fitting is included in the price of a new bike.

I bought a Motobecane road bike from spritemama on Ebay. I had to go thru a fair amount of adjustments.
I got a decent bike for the price. The rim strips were not installed right and I got two flats (not riding thank Gxx)

I was wondering why they gave me two tubes with the bike?
If you buy a $50 dollar bike repair kit you should have about everything you need to make adjustments etc.
I paid around $600 for a full aluminum frame with carbon fork, shimano rims and ultegra rear derailer and Sora frt derailer.

Kind of a hodge podge of components. The frt derailer was not even close to being installed right.
If you go to park tools online they have all the repair info online. Great website.

I am not familiar with the newer components but I just look up how to do it and follow the procedure. It has been working for me.

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Drew:

Doesn't appear to be anyone here with their nose up in the air but you and your beef with bike shops. And who said anything about a $3600 Carbon Fiber set up? There is no point in spending $400 for something you will be unhappy with. You might as well save yourself $250 a buy a 40lb Wally World bike you will hate.

The point is that you can find a comparably priced (and possibly better quality) bike locally for around the "same" money. Some shops even offer free tune ups for a year with bikes purchased there.

Sorry your wife got hosed but there should have been a "no work without prior authorization" clause. Who will service the bike you buy off the internet...? Hmmm.

Where can one purchase a full carbon fiber framed bike with decent componentry for $3600.00 anymore??! The ones I've looked at were all in the $5500.00 - $9500.00 range, depending on wheelsets and if they are Campy Record or Dura Ace equipped.
crazy.gif

I guess I'm one of those "snooties" for even looking/dreaming at/of these machines??
dunno.gif

dailydrive,

Very easy to find now days actually. A buddy of mine just picked up a Scott (+/- 16 lbs w/out pedals)with full Ultegra (triple), mid-high end Mavic wheels, a Garmin GPS, and Look Keo pedals for around $3500. Another buddy bought a Specialized Roubaix, full Ultegra (triple), for around $2300. Full carbon setups are becoming more affordable. The higher end stuff from Trek, Scott, Specialized, Giant, etc WILL cost you $5k and up. This is probably why I'm still riding my several year old AL framed Specialized Allez I bought for $900 (on sale from $1300) with a full 105 group. I have a lot more in extras now but it seems bad to waste a perfectly good frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back