how much of a difference do machined rims make for stopping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Per my other posts, my front rim on my commuter raleigh M50 isnt all that great. Ive read the reccomenations to dremel or smooth it down, etc., but I have to wonder if getting a better rim would be a nice, smart choice, and worthwhile $110 nvestment (for a mavic rim and XT hub).

One thing Im curious about is how much of a difference a machined friction surface makes in brakingpower. The current rims have some sort of powdercoat (worn off of course), and though I used to be happy with the braking, I dont feel content with it anymore compared to my MTB (mechanical discs) and my road bike.

So does the machining of the friction surface make a difference, or is it more the rubbr composition???

Thanks!

JMH

Get a better wheel. It is the easiest upgrade that will immediately improve the performance of ANY bike. If you go with a Mavic/XT set-up, you will likely shed some rotational weight, too. That's where you notice the biggest difference.

I would also recommend upgrading to disc brakes on the front. Avid & Hayes both make an excellent cable actuated mechanical disc brake that work flawlessly. FWIW, I've heard the Avid is super-easy to set-up. You can get either brand for around $60 (for one wheel).

If you want to stick with V-brakes, I suggest Jagwire V-brakes (the insert type). I used them for years on my old Fisher hardtail, & they stopped every bit as good as my Hayes hydraulic discs......I'm serious. I also recommend sanding (roughing up) the rim's braking surface. That always worked well for me.

Thanks for the info!

The RST fork isnt drilled for disc brakes, though I like discs and have them on my MTB (I have the avid and they were a breeze to set up and they stay working well, without need for adjustment). For my commuter, rim brakes are just fine...

I probably will get a new front wheel when I save the $100 for it. Ill wait on getting a new rear because there is a LOT more work involved, and I dont notice the need. Plus my setup only has 7 gears in the back, and IIRC, XT is 9 speed, so probably even more stuff would need to be replaced.

Or do you reccomend replacing wheels in pairs? If so, how can I do it and keep my existing gear setup?

Can you give me a lead on jagwire brakes... I see their cables, and I see their rebuild kits... but I dont see anything else...

Thanks!

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Thanks for the info!

....I probably will get a new front wheel when I save the $100 for it. Ill wait on getting a new rear because there is a LOT more work involved, and I dont notice the need. Plus my setup only has 7 gears in the back, and IIRC, XT is 9 speed, so probably even more stuff would need to be replaced.

Or do you reccomend replacing wheels in pairs? If so, how can I do it and keep my existing gear setup?

Can you give me a lead on jagwire brakes... I see their cables, and I see their rebuild kits... but I dont see anything else...

Thanks!

JMH

JMH, in order asked:

You can use a new wheel with your existing 7-speed set-up. The gears in the back will fit right onto a new wheel with no modifications at all. All you need is a chainwhip & a freewheel removal tool. Any bike shop should carry both tools for about $30 total. The chainwhip keeps the cogset from rotating CCW. You then insert the freewheel removal tool into the cogset & loosen the lockring with a crescent wrench. It is so easy, a caveman could do it.

There is no reason to replace wheels in pairs unless you just want to. To keep your existing gear set-up, see above.

Here's a link to Jagwire MTB V-brakes. http://www.jagwireusa.com/switchback.html I have the switchback tri-zones on my Specialized rockhopper hardtail. They work great. Your local bike shop can order them for you.

cheers.gif

I have machined Mavic rims, Avid Tri Aligns with Cool Stop Eagle Claws. I clean the braking surface of the rims with scotchbrite a couple times a year. Seems to work really well. My buddies all goof on my retro cantilevers, but I love them and I'm leaving this bike as is. My new one has discs.

Back before my knees blew I loved the magura hydraulics. They'd crush rims after the braking surfaces wore thin. Found that periodic spoke tensioning/truing kept brake performance better; less wobble allowed for tighter tolerances.

Truing s an art, but once you commit to learning it the results are quite rewarding. Building your own wheels is much, much cheaper and you can taylor weight/strength to your riding style.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back