Toe Clips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone hurt their foot and tou on toe clips,I have been doing a lot of bikeing this summer and my large left toe started to hurt on top and tendions on top,aggggg,went to Doc,said no gout etc and mentioned toe clips on bicycling,have had previous leg injury long time ago,am stuck on what is going on ,are toe clips with bike shoes the problem????.BL

have you tried loosening up the clips?

personally, I think clip-ins are the way to go. you can get cheap SPD shoes for around $50 and the Shimano M-520 mountain bike SPD pedals are $48 and they come with the cleats which represent a $20 value if sold separately. I have the mountain bike SPD pedals on 2 road bikes.

if your foot hurts it's the shoes, not the pedals, assuming we're referring to actual pedals with shoes that clip into the pedals. Might need to get a shoe that fits better..

When you say "toe clips", I automatically think of clips and straps, NOT clipless pedals. Toe clips consist of a cage and strap which attaches to a normal pedal. Clipless systems use a cleat which clips into the pedal.

My experience has been this. I rode a 40 lb police mtn bike for about a year and a half. We had the half-clips and pedals instead of the traditional "clips and straps". I used a pair of Rocky 911 low top boots. I had a serious issue with actually pushing the bottom of my foot "through" the sole and into the pedal. I also suffered a little toe pain. I was able to locate a "police specific" biking shoe with a removable stiffer sole to allow for better power transfer but with the added mobility of a regular duty shoe. These were not running shoes, nor were they true cycling shoes.

If you chose to continue to use the old clips and straps, and you are not using a cycling shoe now, get a pair. You can get some that you can adapt later to a clipless system should you choose to go that route. And you can get these shoes in "stylish" designs which don't look like cycling shoes. Loosening the straps (as was suggested) may help as might loosening the shoe a little.

Hope this helps.

Greg LeMond had nothing but problems with toe clips. He went to a clipless system and loved it. I prefer toe clips to clipless pedals, probably because I grew up with toe clips. You have to experiment. These days I ride in sandals with plain old pedals.As I get older I don't need to go so fast.

I have noticed as Im riding my commuter bike (which has the cage and strap setup) more, that my toes do hurt a bit.

I might just go back to flat pedals - maybe bigger area ones.... Im not going fast and its nice to be able to release a foot without thinking about it at all... just in case. Even a cage and strap has some added difficulty to disengage the foot from the pedal, as small as it is when theyre loose.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
I have noticed as Im riding my commuter bike (which has the cage and strap setup) more, that my toes do hurt a bit.

I might just go back to flat pedals - maybe bigger area ones.... Im not going fast and its nice to be able to release a foot without thinking about it at all... just in case. Even a cage and strap has some added difficulty to disengage the foot from the pedal, as small as it is when theyre loose.

JMH

Your feet will come out of clipless pedals. Very quickly actually. Go ahead, ask me how I know!
smile.gif

Regardless of clips and straps or regular platform pedals, get some cycling specific shoes.

I have clipless pedals on my MTB and road bike. And have for a long while... All the same, when there is lots of stop and go, stop signs, traffic coming at me from different sides, people in the way, etc., I dont feel that comfortable always twisting my foot off of the clipless -

usually where I ride I pick places where there arent so many distractions, and then hard sole bike shoes and clipless pedals are great... but for the other times, Ill trade a bit of efficiency for the (perceived) safety and ability to move my feet readily without even having to do anything.

JMH

On clipless it becomes second nature taking your feet out once you use them a while. I never even think about it anymore.

I don't think any foot problems would be caused by toe clips. I agree with webfors that it's more likely the shoes.

I love my old-fashioned toe-clips. I don't have to use special shoes, and they're easy to get out of (I leave them pretty loose). I used to slip pedals a lot in BMX racing, so I went to toe-clips even on my BMX. It's really not enjoyable to hit a jump riding on the crossbar with both feet off the pedals. Toe-clips weren't actually allowed for perceived safety reasons, but they let it slide since clipless pedals were even becoming common in BMXing. I didn't trust clipless pedals enough to try them. When you're in the air and you have to throw your bike, you throw it forward with your arms and your feet to slow down your landing and get the bike away from you. With toe-clips, your feet just slide out backwards like you'd want. I just didn't have much confidence that I'd be able to twist both feet out of the clips and throw it away in time.

Now, I'm just stuck in my ways I guess and I use toe-clips for everything. Never had any problems with shoes or the clips. I've been using Shimano non-clipless biking shoes for the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back