Self Blend Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any reason I shouldn't do a do it yourself blend synthetic/dino crankcase oil? Though there are commercail syn blend CI rated products, they aren't readily available on the shelf. I also have read that (in the gas versions) the syn % is fairly low, ~5% with the commercial blend. Trying to get the most bang for the buck.

I have a 05 Dodge/Cummins with 3 gallon capacity, and was thinking of 1 gallon of 5W-40 syn + 2 gallon 15W-40 dino. I have 14k miles so far with dino, over 5k of those with a 3500 lb camper.

You betcha. With your vast experience in tribology, you should be able to instantly decide which additives will be better and which might have a conflict.

Just bite the bullet, use a premium synthetic, take oil samples, and then make your own determinations.

If you want to mix, go for it.

I had an uncle who mixed different brands and viscocities of motor oil all the time for his truck. It lasted for years.

I would be sure the API's matched on every bottle.

quote:

Originally posted by Lance:
I wouldn't do it, especially the brand mixing. Let the experts handle it.

Why I use a ratio of two quarts of nd fourty weight, one quart atf, and two quarts of super tech brand of stp oil treatment in my 1.6 litre n/a vw diesel all summer and substitute the nd fourty for nd thirty in the winter for faster starts. Hey this was a brew that I was told to blend from a vetiren oil changer and oil expert that has sixty years of experience my grandpa. The second best thing that he shared with me was if it uses more oil then the sump hold during a oci that all the oil has been replentished and that it is all like new and only the filter needs changing.

quote:

Originally posted by 007nomad:
Is there any reason I shouldn't do a do it yourself blend synthetic/dino crankcase oil? Though there are commercail syn blend CI rated products, they aren't readily available on the shelf. I also have read that (in the gas versions) the syn % is fairly low, ~5% with the commercial blend. Trying to get the most bang for the buck.

I have a 05 Dodge/Cummins with 3 gallon capacity, and was thinking of 1 gallon of 5W-40 syn + 2 gallon 15W-40 dino. I have 14k miles so far with dino, over 5k of those with a 3500 lb camper.

I have this blend in my truck right now, 5qts of 5-40 Mobil Delvac to 8 qts of Delo 15-40 plus one qt of GC 0-30 with a touch of VSOT and LC thrown in. The past 3000 miles the engine has been very smooth and strong, 0 oil consumption and it the oil is only starting to look sooty. 15 qt sump capacity vs. the 3 gal you have. Auto-RX was done on this engine last year with 2 bottles of ARx and supertech 15-40 and Castrol tection extra 15-40 clean and rinse pahses. I think it was patman has a UOA posted with the same mix of roughly 1:2 ratio of Mobil T&SUV 5-40 with a 15-40, Delo i think, that showed outstanding results.

why mess with anything? That engine with almost any off the shelf diesel oil will last forever. Those engines are just about as strong as you can get. I would just off the shelf delo. delvac, or rotella T, and if you want something better go with schaefers, redline, or amsoil. That thing will last foerever with any of those oils mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back