MOTORCRAFT 15W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any knowledge or experiene with Motorcarft 15w-40? It's the cheapest HDEO for $2.07/qt at Wal-Mart and I'm wondering if it's as good as the Delo's, Delvac's and Rotella's of the world in terms of detergency/add pack, HTHS performance and TBN. Thanks!

See my post in the car section, also buy 15w40 by the gallon jug and you will easily match the MC qt price.
If you want a good alternative to Rotella at less , get Mystik 15w-40 at TSC in 1gal, 2 gal or 5 gal containers.

Steve S is 100% correct, you can't go wrong any HDEO....no matter what brand it is (Delvac 1300, Delo, Rotella T, Pennzoil, Motorcraft)

If you have AAP in your area, they are closing out Delo 15w40 in quarts for 79 cents. Advance Auto will only carry the gallons of Delo from now on.

Hello,

I think the least expensive in Wally world is Supertech All purpose 15W40 which is diesel rated. Any opinions on that one?

W115nut

W115nut,

Only one UOA on that:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000091#000000

Doesn't seem to have a big fan club.
The one UOA had a Ford 7.3L run 2400 miles.. not a long test, certainly, but wear metals were 1/3rd of universal averages. TBN was still in okay shape at 7.7... I'd like higher at that mileage, but RETENTION matters, not starting TBN.

Overall, the evidence points to the oil being at least good enough, if not better than average.

androbot2084, Motorcraft 15w-40 and Rotella 5w-40 are both 40 weight oils at 100 deg C (about 15cst). The 15w and 5w number refer to their cold weather pumpability. I would not think there would be a fuel savings using one over the other.

For example, I use Mobil1 0w-40 (also a 40 weight oil) in my Hyundai Accent. I'm able to get over 40 mpg on the highway, and average at about 37 mpg. The thicker oil hasn't caused any mpg loss in my tiny 105hp engine.

15w40 is way to thick to get the good fuel milege. Walmart sells the 5w40 Rotella for $14 a gallon which is a good deal when you factor in all the fuel costs you will be saving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back