Oil consumption after changing oil brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2005 Passat TDI and have been using Castrol TXT 505.01. I am about to switch to Elf 506.01 and am wondering, can I expect oil consumption with the new oil. The car at this time does not use any oil. The current mileage is at 23,000 miles. Any feedback is helpful and am new to this website and find it to be very helpful and has a solid referance fom many other websites.

I'd repost with ELF as your title since you really are asking will ELF 506.01 cause consumption and you'll be lucky to find any ELF users even if it's in the title.

quote:

The car at this time does not use any oil.

None, nada, zip, zilch, gar nix? That's scary.
tongue.gif

I'd expect oil consumption to be higher with a VW 506.01 oil compared to a VW 505.01 oil. I'm sure you know that VW 506.01 is only an option for engines that are properly equipped for oil with a lowered high temperature viscosity.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y108/moribundman/vw_oil.jpg

There are time when switching oil can result in high oil consumption for one to three oil drain intervals. I've heard that the chemistry of the different oils might be the cause.

Ken

You're not dreaming.

Every time we switch proprietary oils for testing, the 4-cycl. engine will lose about 8 ounces up to about 2.5 miles and then AFTER top-of, it will never use any more.

In our air-cooled test engines, it will lose about a half-ounce for the first 8 hours then never lose anymore after top-off until the end of the test.

My theory is that the new oil's detergency is cleaning things out, the engine then gets the new oil into it's rings, and then the oil thickens as it oxidizes slightly, sealing the combustion chamber.

I also believe the lighter hydrocarbon components of previous crud left behind is getting burnt-off or cooked out as well.

Increased consumption for up to 10k miles has been known to occur when switching to M1 from HDEO in the older MB diesel communities. This is due to use, not due to leaking.

Some get it, some dont... For some it lasts a long while, others, just an OCI or two.

I agree with Mola's findings.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back