favorite "ethnic" food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a newish Korean cafe in CBD which we go to. Young Korean owner is very personable. I'll get the name of our favourite dish tomorrow lunchtime. I agree it's great food.

quote:

Originally posted by HappyHyundai:

There are several Authentic Chinese restaurants in China town in New York City. My favorite: Some chinese frog legs with cabbage side dish.

When I lived in NYC, my job took me into the back alley entrances and kitchens of many of the restaurants in Chinatown. I stopped eating in Chinatown after that. The sanitary conditions were horrendous to put it mildly. Health inspectors pretty much stopped going there after one of them was found dead in a pile of rubbish in one of the back alleys.
I'm not naive enough to think that most all restaurants don't have some disturbing things going on in their kitchens, but this was far, far beyond what I will knowingly accept. Maybe that's what makes them authentic?
wink.gif

My favorites are:
West Indian
Indian
Chinese
Japanese (sushi)

West Indian I get from the local food trucks here in the VI. Indian I get from the New Delhi restaurant on Chestnut St. in Philadelphia. Chinese I get from the Authentic Chinese resaurant in Bear, DE, and Japanese (sushi) I get from the Buddha Bar in the VI. There are plenty of others that are good, these just are the best, to my limited palate.

Ive had Korean at a restaurant on rte 70 in cherry Hill, NJ, which was REALLY good, but I was quite confused on what to order and there was little assistance... Im bound to try it again though.

Im sure there are plenty of other ethnic foods that are really great too, and I just need to experience them!

JMH

Well I survived for 17 years eating regularly in Chinatown NYC, my wife as well, speaking of filth, there was a ABC investigation on exclusive snobby upper crust restaurants in NYC where they found the establishments employing part time homeless persons to do their salads etc. which was then being served raw to customers, so needless to say, restaurants are risky in general but can't generalize that only on Chinese or Chinatown NYC restaurants.

When I was still in high school, my best friend worked at a Chinese restaurant. The owner made all his employees 'recycle' food that was leftover that was not eaten by the customers. If a person ordered Chicken Chow Mein and the customer only ate very little of the white rice....

That rice was taken to the kitchen and dumped into a big pot. After collecting enough rice from various tables in the restaurant, the rice was rinsed a few times and then used again.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Gurkha:
Well I survived for 17 years eating regularly in Chinatown NYC, my wife as well, speaking of filth, there was a ABC investigation on exclusive snobby upper crust restaurants in NYC where they found the establishments employing part time homeless persons to do their salads etc. which was then being served raw to customers, so needless to say, restaurants are risky in general but can't generalize that only on Chinese or Chinatown NYC restaurants.

I enjoyed the food in Chinatown for years myself but could not bring myself to continue eating there after what I saw. Of course I'm not generalizing about all Chinatown restaurants. I'm just reporting what I witnessed firsthand in several of them. The Chinese Mafia had heavy influence there at the time and still does as far as I know. I suspect that's why there were no Board of Health inspections done.

The Chinese food that I remember the most vividly was the fish soup with the fish still kicking, and the "protein enhanced" rolls they served us before the Yangtze River tour. On the other hand, the whole fish with what I would call Chef Boyardee sauce was quite tasty.

My dad just barely if ever eats at restaurants for the reasons you state. The man is happy, I guess.

Me on the other hand pretty much will eat anywhere......and yes I did see a guy try to stomp a rat with his foot in the FRONT (dining) portion of a restaurant in China (Chang An). Glad he didn't get it, because the food was delicious and I kept eating.

carne asada, burritos or tacos
i haven't found decent carne north of socal, north of san diego really
the best carne I've ever had was at a small outdoor restaurant in Laredo, Mx.

I finally had real Chinese food today in a restaurant. Amazing stuff. I had had food prepared by my Chinese friends but they were not as tasty.

It turns out that most Chinese restaurants have two menus: one for the regular American customers and another one for the Chinese customers. I was talking to the owner and he suggested to know what to order and how to order if you want real Chinese dishes.

They were Southern Chinese dishes today. In a month I will be eating Northern Chiese foods on my trip to the Jilin province. Can't wait!

Quote:

I finally had real Chinese food today in a restaurant. Amazing stuff. I had had food prepared by my Chinese friends but they were not as tasty.

It turns out that most Chinese restaurants have two menus: one for the regular American customers and another one for the Chinese customers. I was talking to the owner and he suggested to know what to order and how to order if you want real Chinese dishes.

They were Southern Chinese dishes today. In a month I will be eating Northern Chiese foods on my trip to the Jilin province. Can't wait!

LUCKY!!! The food you have in China has no match in USA. I was lucky for 5 years to eat nothing but the best food in China. First trip? You still will be very surprised at what you can find. Explore around with someone you can trust to find the best food.

I believe that there is no match for the Chinese food in the US. Before yesterday, I thought I could not stand Chinese food. But now I know that I cannot stand the so called Chinese food that is prepared for the Americans. These two foods have nothing in common except for the rice.

I was amazed to learn that the Chinese don't use soy souce, and usually don't eat rice in restaurants unless they feel hungry at the end of the meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back