Amsoil Motorcycle 10w/40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received my UOA from Blackstone today.

Oil Used: Amsoil Motorcycle 10w/40
Miles On Oil: 2,414
Oil In Bike: 9.50 months
Bike: Honda Valkyrie, 6 cyl, 1520 cc
Miles On Bike: 10,733
Make Up Oil: None
Oil Filter: Amsoil Motorcycle Specific
Air Filter: Honda OEM

1st column is mine; 2nd column is universal avg.

Aluminum: 3 6
Chromium: 1 0
Iron: 25 20
Copper: 12 7
Lead: 1 1
Tin: 0 0
Moly: 1 44
Nickel: 0 1
Manganese: 0 0
Silver: 0 0
Titanium: 0 0
Potassium: 0 0
Boron: 0 117
Silicon: 4 10
Sodium: 5 4
Calcium: 3,494 2,568
Magnesium: 12 290
Phosphorus: 1,051 983
Zinc: 1,261 1,180
Barium: 0 0
TBN: 7.7

SUS Vis 210: 68.1 65-76
Flashpoint: 335 >375
Fuel: 2.00 Antifreeze: 0.00 0.00
Water: 0.00 Insolubles: 0.1
Comments: You have a very nice wearing Honda engine in your bike and your oil use miles are just slightly longer than average for this type flat six. Universal averages show typical wear metals for oil from this type of enigne after about 2,275 miles run on the oil. Your oil was in use 2,414 miles, and we found all wear at around average levels and in the correct balance to show normal mechanical parts inside. Air and oil filtration appear normal. 2.0% of the sample was volatile gas. The viscosity was normal. The TBN was 7.7, still quite high. Try 3000 miles use next sample.

Well, fellow oilers, it is open for review, and I welcome all thoughts and comments. This is my UOA ever, so I am here to learn, thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

RevRider

Awesome phos and zinc levels(after 2400 miles) Like mentioned tbn still holding pretty good.As of wear coming from the engine I am still a rookie reading these levels. I am still trying to figure out what weight oil it sheared to or is it a 40wt still.Sus vis 210 68.1. do not know how to read this.
Let's wait for someone to chime in.Does the motor and tranny share the same oil or is it split?
Keith
"Let's just ride"

Hey KX, it shares the same oil...I like you am trying to understand it, but since this is my 1st UOA, I am waiting for the more knowledgeable to respond...

It's at the lower side but you need to consider the starting viscosity, the fact that your oil is now 2% gasoline and MC shared systems are very hard on oils. (look around in this MC forum). This oil did great!

Hey Pablo,

Thanks for the feedback, I am assuming the "new formula" from Amsoil is perhaps even better than the old.

After finishing my evaluation of Amsoil and Mobil 1, when it's time, I am assuming I can order directly from you, would that be correct? I have in the past just ordered at Amsoil's corporate site.

What is the price on the new formulation?

I am a new member, so I am assuming that as a site sponsor, you invest money to keep our site up, and in turn look for sales from other members who are seeking to buy Amsoil products? Which I think is very reasonable...

Thanks again for your feed back on UOA, I am curious about the 2% gasoline, not sure what that would be from...

RevRider

On paper the new oil should be better.

Actually you can order direct from Amsoil using my number.

The new stuff is spendy: $8/qt

As for the fuel dilution - did you sample with the engine hot after a good ride?

Hi Pablo, yes, engine was hot, did street and freeway riding for about 7 to 8 miles before draining...his your Amsoil number 512?

RevRider

Pablo, it is the older version, the AMF, I put it in January 05...if I am reading the link correctly, it just barely stayed 40w, is that correct?

I've been reviewing my results, and I guess I am asking myself a question which is - shouldn't my wear levels be better than the average considering I was using Amsoil?

In other words, if the average results are based on a mixture of different oils, no doubt synthetic and non synthetic, motorcycle specific and non motorcycle specific, thus called the "universal averages" I would think using a top dollar synthetic like Amsoil should have produced better results??? Is my thinking messed up here or???

Any thoughts?

RevRider

No REV you aren't messed up. It's Blackstone who is messed up.

Universal averages from Blackstone are universally messed up. Some could be from totally different bikes (they say "type of bike"), different riding styles. Sometimes the universal averages in their UOA's just make no sense. Averages of populations of oil are very misleading when talking wear metals. Better might be wear PPM/miles.

Honestly it's much better to look at the trend for your bike. If you are really concerned do a search for UOA's of exact bikes and riding styles that match yours. Better would be to contact Terry Dyson for his interpretation services.

For a motorcycle engine , I don't think I've seen better numbers. But that bike practically has a car engine in it. Still though, I think you have a keeper.

Thanks Pablo for the response...

Mackelroy, it's true about the Honda six, it's as smooth as car engine...it's not a high rev'ver, redlines at 6500...I usually run it at 3000 rpm's, about 65 mph...it's a great bike...

RevRider

You must have a lot of traffic where you ride!

I can't keep my Valkyrie Interstate under 75 unless I lock the throttle...

Great oil = Great report, IMHO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back