0W-30 vs 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I need to come to a conclusion for my BMW.

I've got a 1996 BMW 318 Cabriolet. It's the M44 engine.

Anyways, I basically decided that I'm gonna run 5W-40 year-round. I've heard nothing but praise for Liqui-Moly 5W-40, so I went out an bought it, and have been waiting for my next oil change to put it in.

But I don't know if that's necessarily the best decision.

Perhaps someone knowledgeable in the magic of GC could help shed some light. What will provide me with the best year-round protection? How does GC measure up against 5W-40 oils? Is it thicker, thinner? Do I even need a 5W-40?

Someone please help me compare the 2 oils!

What does the engine require?

With winter coming, use the CastrolSyntec or EssoXD3 0w30. The Esso and Mobil1 0w40 are other options.

Save the thicker oils for the spring/summer.

Mobil 1 30 weights are generally too thin for BMW motors. The Lubro Moly 5w40 is a bit thicker than GC 0w30 but either one is meant to flow in very cold weather so I wouldn't worry about it. I use both of these oils, GC in the our `02 325iT/`05 F-150 V6 and LM 5w40 in my brother's `93 325is (was my car previously.

M44's like a 40 weight oil and I use Delo 15w40 in my `97 318ti. I don't bother with synthetic as I don't really care for 4 bangers and hope to swap it out for an S52 in the future. Even so the M44 will easily go 250k+ with a decent 40 weight oil changed on a regular basis. So IMO, GC 0w30 or LM 5w40 will be fine for year around use.

Benny, my M52 and my dad's M62TU both seem to love GC. Since we're from the same neck of the woods, we both experience the same weather. I'd rather have a 0w in there for our (typical) winters. M1 0W40 is noisy in my M52 and shears a lot, down to a 30 even. XD3 0W40 is pretty heavy but doesn't seem to shear from what I've read. GC has been described as "almost a 40", is shear stable but still flows well when cold. I was also considering 5w40 products from Redline, Mobil1 and Amsoil.

This is my first personal use of GC, but so many people highly recommend it I'm certainly giving it a shot. My dad's M62TU was making a lot of different knocks and clatters until GC went in - now it's quiet.

Sorry I don't have any specific M44 experience.

Craig.

I tried GC in my M42 engine and did not like the startup noise...bad chain and lifter noise in the morning. I thought it was probably the chain tensioner ****ping out. After 8000 miles I switched to Pentosin 5w-40 and it was a revelation; much quieter. You probably have made a good choice with the 5w-40 based on my experience.

i use to drive a m44 engine before the car is 98 318i. base on my previous experience a 5w40 wt. or GC 0w30 isto thick for this engine, your mpg. will increase try to use the BMW synthetic oil or valvoline maxlife synthetic 5w30 both are very good oils try to run it 7500 miles.

gud luck

quote:

Originally posted by orics:
i use to drive a m44 engine before the car is 98 318i. base on my previous experience a 5w40 wt. or GC 0w30 isto thick for this engine, your mpg. will increase try to use the BMW synthetic oil or valvoline maxlife synthetic 5w30 both are very good oils try to run it 7500 miles.

gud luck

Too thick? The M44 is based off the M42 that was designed in the 80's and for usage with 40/50 weight oils. BMW 5w30 is a Castrol Group III oil near a 40 weight and is the same price as GC...GC seems like a much better deal to me.

quote:

Originally posted by orics:

gud luck

ya, if anything, i have been told that the Mobil1 10W-30 is too thin for the M44. Certainly a 5W-30 would not be a great idea.

i know i want either the 5W-40 i chose, or GC... just can't make up my mind!

BennyL

BMW recommends any of five different oils for the M44 engine: LL-01, LL-98, Special Oil List, and finally ACEA A3/B3 or ACEA A3/B4.

Frankly you can run anything that meets any of these specs for up to 15,000KM. That includes both of the oils you're trying to choose between.

Flip a coin!

Cheers
JJ

~10k miles in a older 318i that most likely spec'ed a 10W40 or 20W50 3-k dino OCI when new?
I don't think so. I wouldn't even do that with the newer LL-98/LL-01 oils.

I'd use a thicker xW30 in the winter, like GC. Try M1 5W30 if it's butt cold.
And stick with a xW40 for the warmish times, it is Canada....
Did you see the L-M/canada links I posted in another thread?

Auto-RX and a moly additive would be good.

ya, im thinking of running an auto-rx cycle.

as for which oil to use... its probably going to be Liqui-Moly 5W-40 all year. it flows at low enough temperatures. it really isn't THAT cold in Toronto, so i dont think i need a lighter oil for the winter.

what kind of moly addatives are there? what do they do? and how do i know how much to use?

L-M has moly in it, and they sell a MoS2 additive. VSOT has Mo in it.
Mo fights friction. And helps with anti-wear?

The L-M 0W40 (or 0W30 Plus) might also work well for you.

I'm using GC 0w-30 in my 92 325is Turbo, but I actually want to change it out for a 5w-40 (for a reasonable price) or the xd3 0w-40.

UPDATE: My M52 with GC in it is the smoothest and quietest it's ever been. Some of the changes are subtle, and only an observant enthusiast would notice, but so far I'm pretty happy with GC.

I can also detect a difference from the reduction in viscosity from my 15W40 ARX oil (Esso XD-3 HDEO).

Craig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back