FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm... this GC FAQ thing actually may have inspired me to check my stash of about 22 quarts today. Looks like mine are all gold GC except perhaps for three or four bottles that begin with M0226xxxxx (and in very dark ink)... makes me wonder if these are the elusive green GC stuff...???

I do like the FAQ's for the GC, it's one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" handy-dandy items.

Crashbox, your M0226xxxx dark ink might be the U.S. stuff.

I need to update the FAQ, but here are the basics:

There is some U.S. made Castrol Syntec 0w-30 that come in GC look-a-like bottles. The main differences I've noticed are:

1. Doesn't say made in Germany on the back.
2. Has the API Starburst logo on the front.
3. Has dark ink date code instead of white ink.

(1) will be the easiest way to determine if it's Green GC.

I just read about this recently. And I saw a bottle myself yesterday!

yes mobil 1 is still 100 % synthetic pao except for just a very little amount that the add pack is suppened in. if you go to gas boy web site and click on nc then pitt co and then greenville nc and then fuel ecomany & then synthetic oil their is a thread that some guy is claming the mobil 1 is not 100 % pao.we have been going around a few day's now and he is pushing synlube but i never heard of it before him talking about it but i will stick with mobil 1 it has done a great job for me the last twenty year's. help me out with this guy.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by tdi jerry:
yes mobil 1 is still 100 % synthetic pao except for just a very little amount that the add pack is suppened in. if you go to gas boy web site and click on nc then pitt co and then greenville nc and then fuel ecomany & then synthetic oil their is a thread that some guy is claming the mobil 1 is not 100 % pao.we have been going around a few day's now and he is pushing synlube but i never heard of it before him talking about it but i will stick with mobil 1 it has done a great job for me the last twenty year's. help me out with this guy.
frown.gif

it should say gasbuddy not gasboy sorry
blush.gif

ya his life time oil.i tryed to tell him that if he didn't use a oil that meet's oem spec he can kiss his warranty good by.he has a closed mind and want listen to any thing any one has to say.

Jerry:

I'm no Synlube fan, but respectfully, your statement about the wty is not correct. All US new car wtys are governed by the federal Moss-Magnuson Warranty Act (MMWA). Under the MMWA, a mfr has the burden of proving that something you (or a 3rd party) did was the cause of a claimed failure, instead of a problem with the car. Whole wyts can't be voided, or claims denied as a "penalty" for not using the spec-ed oil. If an owner uses Synlube and has an engine failure, the mfr would have prove that the Synlube caused the problem. Even if they were able to meet their burden (which would probably require engineering testimony), the wty would still be in full force for the rest of its term as to other problems.

Example: you use 80 wt oil and it causes your engine to blow up. You take the car in for the blown up engine and a door handle that has simply fallen off, not because of any abuse. The maker easily proves that you caused the engine failure, and will win on that claim, but they still have to fix the door, as your wty is still in full force, despite your trashing the engine.

I just bought some GC and they are now being marked on the bottles as "European Formular".
Oh, it still says Made in Germany.

[ June 24, 2006, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: GoHack ]

Since finding this site I've been to half a dozen AZ stores between Ocean Beach, Clairemont, and College looking for the famed GC oil for my Nissan VQ engine. Finally found some M06 gold in Mira Mesa thanks to this thread! Green/Gold, it's all G-spec, right?

[ June 28, 2006, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: RD400 ]

German Castrol is plentiful nearby, with both of the closest AutoZones stocking almost 10-qts a piece. And the best thing is, I get a $20 gift card after about five trips of buying the stuff (for spending $20+ each visit, they stamp the a card)...

I think I may pick up some more today.
tongue.gif

And oh yes, the Saturn loves it.

how would this stuff fare in an 2003 honda accord 2.4 4 cylinder engine? Gonna start looking for it now if i can find some.

Thanks!
-B

bfgun,

I personally use either 5w-20 or 5w-30 in my GF's 2002 Accord (4 cyl). Then again, it's not my car and I don't love it like my own.

I'd say try GC out. It's not gonna cause any catastrophic affects (effects?) on your car.

And last, but not least: search. If that fails, start a new thread - you'll get better responses.
grin.gif

Finding a source here and there, but mostly of the M06xxxx Did find some just about 12 miles south of M050756xxxx so comming close.
Do they still manufacture the green stuff in Germany?

My 5 bottles I found are the 2005 batch.
Vern

I'd have to check the 6 quarts I bought at the local Autozone, but the one in Portage (20 minutes north of me) had M06xxx GC 0w30
smile.gif
It was labeled European formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back