GC for Track events

Status
Not open for further replies.
probably would be a good choice. I think audi specs a 5w-40 wt oil for that engine, and VW a 5w-30 weight oil.

A heavy 30 wt oil would be a good combo to free up a fraction of a HP, and still have good protection, with its high HT/HS, etc.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by WEEA4:
It's an Audi 1.8 turbo

I suppose it would depend on what type of track event and how hard you plan on pushing the car. Personally, I'd have no reservations about using GC in my VW 2.0 if I participated in such an event. I'd probably shorten my OCI a bit and would seriously consider the installation of an oil temp gauge.

Sort of
offtopic.gif
:
I provide tech support for a local independant VW racing team('87 Jetta Coupe 8v). I was half-tempted to recommend the use of GC in the car this season. However one of our new sponsors graciously provided us w/ a season's worth of BC 5W40 instead. Our driver was originally sceptical about using a '5WXX' oil, but the BC is working well in that old 1.8ltr.. IMO - I think GC is better suited for use in more modern(ie: close tolerance)VW/Audi applications.

[ July 14, 2005, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Brikhead ]

Thanks for the feedback. My OCI are every 5,000 PLUS I change just prior to each track event. The car is slightly modded with Chip+big injectors and I push it very hard.

Bottom line, do you guy's think it's better for me than M1 0w-40?

Thanks,
Bill

Hi,
WEEA4 - No, the GC oil is not "better" than M1 0w-40 just slightly different in real terms! Either will do "track work" with ease and safely in the correct application

GC was initially marketed here in OZ in 1996 with this comment taken from the Castrol Application Chart;

"Castrol Formula SLX has demonstrated excellent performance and engine protection in competition applications in Australia in Formula Ford, Pro Stock, Drag Racing and the around Australia endurance trial"
"For "Club Days" and high performance applications choose Castrol Formula SLX (0w-30)or Castrol Formmula "R" synthetic (10w-60)"

Enjoy either!

Regards
Doug

I've been reading a lot on this site about GC and how much many of you love it. I know many say it's nearly a 40 weight. My question is do you feel it's thick enough to protect the engine during track days?

Also, I've seen statement's that it doesn't shear, yet I have never seen any specifications anywhere for this oil. Does anyone know what it's specs are?

Thanks for any feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back