I have a huge stash, But should I run it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, So I ran out and bout a huge stash of GC, 29 quarts of M01,2 I do not have any m03. And I have 64 quarts of M04. I did this because all the boys on Vortex were raving over it. I have put it in my Subaru 2.5Gt Wagon. But as summer arrives I am getting nervous about hot temps and so on, call me ignorant but should I run it.

Secondly, I have a 2k 1.8t BigT upgrade and many mods that is my toy and rarely drive it anymore. It has 130K on it using nothing but Castrol Normal Oil. Should I run it?

Call me a freak but I have lots of this stuff now and my father ran out and found even more in Jersey for me, not sure how many but he said he found a "stash".

so now I have close to $500 in oil and have know idea if it is even good for me... HELP ME PLEASE~~

You'll have no problem running your stash of GC in your Legacy GT (drool!) However, you should make sure it's broken in first. Is this a new GT? If that were my car, I'd run a good dino until the cold fall weather starts (end of September?)... Castrol GTX, Pennzoil, Havoline/Chevron are all good picks.

After that, you can run GC all year round. You might notice it makes your engine respond sluggishly, because it is a thicker 30W oil at operating temperatures compared to most others. I did, and I just have a lowly Impreza TS.

As for higher mileage car, I'll suggest what others have many times before. Do an Auto-RX cleaning cycle, then run GC. Search, you'll find that Auto-RX is a proven internal engine cleaner, and would be perfect for setting up your high mileage car for some good synthetic lovin'!

quote:

Wife is already on my a$$ about the current amount of oil I now possess, just found 13 more quarts here in Arlington..

Well, funny thing about that type of critical review from a spouse ...you could merely walk over to the closet and look at her stash of clothing/shoes vs. yours and harping on how much is unused enough to warrant such an inventory. Naturally the liability of such discussions of perspective and equity tend to cost you more than they gain you ..but if you're the type that insists on making a point ...
dunno.gif
(what's your point?
mad.gif
)
grin.gif

Never mind ..raise the white flag and merely go underground on stash accumulation. If you hide it well enough ..she won't remember the real count when she does discover it.

Honey? How come the toilet isn't flushing like it used to?

(Oh no! Has she discovered the 2 quarts I hid in the toilet tank?!)

The first step towards recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Hi! I'm BoostedBuRu, and I'm an oil addict!

(BITOG chorus) Hi BoostedBuRu!

I don't have a problem! I can stop anytime I want to!... I just don't want to
wink.gif

I can't wait for the day when pscholte posts that his family and friends have staged an oil intervention!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BoostedBuRu:
But as summer arrives I am getting nervous about hot temps and so on, call me ignorant but should I run it.

Since GC is thicker at operating temp than most other 30 weights, it is one of the best 30 weight oils for summer use. Some believe that its slightly thicker viscosity is a big factor in the good UOAs it turns in.

Awesome - But I have heard not to run Sythentic in High Milages cars.. is this true?

Wife is already on my a$$ about the current amount of oil I now possess, just found 13 more quarts here in Arlington..

Its a Addiction!

I feel like a kid again..

If this has anything to do with the GC getting thick on hot days..

Once warm, I notice my oil pressure will drop from 21-22psi at idle to about 17-18psi on a really hot day.

I notice something truly curious in your photos...the oil, she is definitely green and your bottle has the BP flower on it...but the 0W-30 label on the back, she appears to be
shocked.gif
Yellow!
shocked.gif

I did a little p-shop that is why the the red turned yellow.. the green was so faded I had to enhance it in the one picture... the other came out fine!

Nice and slow right over the top... had to get good at it, pops would not buy a funnel growing up. God forbid you spill some oil, you were not working on the cars for a while and we all know what that does to us motor heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back