My own 2 cents on the Golden GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, after what I thought was a stupid thing, I dumped out the green GC and filled up with the new Golden GC. I am no scientist, but your average car guy. I noticed only one major difference between the two. My car would make this humming noise after I turned it off while running the green GC. I was told this this was a secondary coolant pump in my 1.8T GLI circulating the coolant. Well, after the switch, the car does not make that sound. It still runs whisper quiet and very smooth. I am wondering why they changed from green to gold?

GF-4 is why they changed. If the base oil is the same, people can probably relax.

That's weird.Maybe the secondary water pump is on the way out(common VW problem)?

quote:

Originally posted by brianpavlovic:
Well, after what I thought was a stupid thing, I dumped out the green GC and filled up with the new Golden GC. I am no scientist, but your average car guy. I noticed only one major difference between the two. My car would make this humming noise after I turned it off while running the green GC. I was told this this was a secondary coolant pump in my 1.8T GLI circulating the coolant. Well, after the switch, the car does not make that sound. It still runs whisper quiet and very smooth. I am wondering why they changed from green to gold?

Unless they changed something 1.8t don't have a secondary water pump only VR6's do as well as an auxillary radiator where the intercooler is hidden in the wheel well. What year?

quote:

Originally posted by Thermo1223:
Unless they changed something 1.8t don't have a secondary water pump only VR6's do as well as an auxillary radiator where the intercooler is hidden in the wheel well. What year?

Brian has a 2005 Jetta GLI 1.8T based on info he gave in another thread.

I also noticed an oil temp change switching back and forth from GC to Amsoil....I wonder if this is related....the temprature specifics of the GC that is.....(it's early and I havent had my coffee:))

I think what we have here is Gold (SLX) and the Green (SLX Longtec) or vice versa.

GC most closely matches the Technical Specifications of the Castrol Formula SLX 0W-30.

From the Castrol UK site:
Castrol Formula SLX LongTec
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=9003648&contentId=7006715

Technical Specifications
SAE 0W-30
API SL/CF
ACEA A3/B3/B4
BMW Longlife-01
MB 229.3 229.5
Opel/Vauxhall GM-LL-A-025
GM-LL-B-025
VW 502.00/503.01/505.00

Castrol Formula SLX 0W-30
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=82915273&contentId=6030498

Technical Specifications
SAE 0W-30
ACEA A3/B3/B4
API SL/CF
Mercedez-Benz MB 229.3
Volksagen VW 502.00, VW 505.00 & VW 503.01
Approved as BMW Longlife-01 Oil

I wish we could get the RS 0w-40 too.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=82915275&contentId=6008717

SAE 0W-40
ACEA A3/B3/B4
API SL/CF
Mercedes-Benz MB 229.1
VW 505.00 and VW 502.00
BMW Longlife-01 Oil
Porsche - approved

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
What's the difference between those two? (SLX vs SLX Longtec)

I am repeating info I sent in a PM to buster...it might be instructive (even though I start out in pretty much a "weenie fashion.")

No, Buster, I don't know the technical differences execept for what is listed in the VOA that QuattroPete posted and that Stinky Peterson posted on GC (Gold Formula) that made them look like a similar formulation and which I believe contained elevated amounts of Mg. If you were to ask me to speculate, I believe SLX contains whatever changes to the 299.3 formula were needed to make it a 229.5 oil. I told buster that going to 229.5 might make it a thinner oil, but I have changed my mind and don't believe that necessarily to be the case. If GC is indeed LongTec I think both versions have had their color changed (from green to gold [actually they are no longer dyed]) as a distinguishing characteristic between the two. I think it will still be a powerfully performing oil. It makes no sense for Castrol to come up with a killer formula and then emasculate it, even in the name of longer OCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back