SUBARU 2.5 and the ELVES

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use THE STUFF in my BMW's, and was wondering whether or not to put it in my wife's '05 Subaru Legacy. Been running Amsoil 5W-30. I'm not too concerned about loss of fuel economy, because the car has none. It's only getting 17 to 20 NOW. THANKS!

I use it in my Forester XT. I guess it depends if you want to use a viscosity that's recommended in the owner's manual (it's not), or use an oil with that's energy conserving (it's not, but that doesn't seem to matter to you).
smile.gif

-Dennis

If you aren't concerned about oil related failure being covered under warranty, and if you don't care about fuel efficiency, then go for it. Generally speaking, you could throw used baby oil into a Subaru 2.5 engine and it would return great UOAs if it's in good working order.

Frankly, with gasoline prices creeping ever upwards, fuel efficiency becomes more and more attractive. Given that most any oil can give you a great UOA with your car, why not go with a commonly available oil that's a little more friendly at the fuel pump? Mobil 1 5W-30, perhaps?

Anyone ever tried and UOA'ed a 5W-20 in a Subaru 2.5l engine? Now *that* would probably give great fuel efficiency!

[ May 06, 2005, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: bigpaulo ]

quote:

Originally posted by bigpaulo:
If you aren't concerned about oil related failure being covered under warranty, and if you don't care about fuel efficiency, then go for it. Generally speaking, you could throw used baby oil into a Subaru 2.5 engine and it would return great UOAs if it's in good working order.

Frankly, with gasoline prices creeping ever upwards, fuel efficiency becomes more and more attractive. Given that most any oil can give you a great UOA with your car, why not go with a commonly available oil that's a little more friendly at the fuel pump? Mobil 1 5W-30, perhaps?

Anyone ever tried and UOA'ed a 5W-20 in a Subaru 2.5l engine? Now *that* would probably give great fuel efficiency!

Well till proven otherwise I think the fuel efficiency difference between a 5-20 and GC is going to minimal, esp. since GC is a full synthetic. And oil related problems? with the GC ratings? and since we know what kind of synth it is? I think not.

I'd be interested in knowing the results if you do go that route. I thought about using GC for my new 2.5 Forester, but went with 5w30 Havoline SM instead.

I've tracked the gas mileage of two Subarus now, and both of them gave really crappy gas mileage when new. It took about 5000 miles to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back