05 Jetta 1.8T GLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they put in Castrol 0W30 in as a factory fill.Probably some Pentosin oil is used.

My Audi 2.7T engine came from the factory with 0W-30 in it....which I strongly suspect was some form of SLX...from the color on the dipstick, I'd say it was GC.

quote:

Originally posted by Reg# 43897:
I thought that VAG was universally using 5w-40 as a factory fill?

John.

My owner's manual (2004 model) says the car came with 0W-30 and that is also what it recommends once the factory fill is replaced. I don't know about other VAG models or model years.

Interesting... I sure know that my 1.8T appreciates GC even though the owner's manual says that it supposedly came with 5w-40.

John.

pscholte, I think Audi changed it in 2001, at least they did with they 2.7tt in the S4. My 2000 manual says 5w40 but the 2001's and newer say 0w30.

Audi was/is filling the 225 HP, Audi TT's and the 2.7L, biturbo engines with an SAE 0w-30 synthetic. VW recommends either 5w-40 or 5w-30 as their primary grades, but they were also factory filling w/ the low vis 0w-30. The TDI diesels have also been coming over with a 0w-30, ACEA B4 - and now Vw 505.01 spec - 0w-30 oil in them

As a practical matter,anything from a 0w-30 to a 10w-40 synthetic will work fine year round in this family of engines....I would look for the VW 502.00 and/or VW 503.01 specs on any oil used in these applications.

TS

I know when i bought my 00' golf (one fo the few german made golfs) 1.8T in the summer of 03', i pulled the dipstick on a golf 337 and found a beautiful GREEN coloured oil on the stick! i doubt it was in fact, GC (SLX) that we know and love, but im sure that its actually like a green coloured 5w-40 or the low HTHS vis. SLX (maybe?)?

Im about to drain my GC in my 1.8t after 6K miles (may be 7K i didnt write down the exact mileage at the last change-DOH!!) and send off for analysis. The past two i was told to go at least 7K. But, that was on stock boost levels (150hp 5-8.37psi). But, now im running 10-11psi peak and about 8 average via a $30 Manual Boost Cont. Anyways, we will see just how well this oil protects the VAG AWD engine when the boost is turned up. Im sure itll do just fine though as the 225hp TT engine specs this oil-right? (503.01 spec?)

Lastly, almost went with BC 5w-40 instead and i prolly will if this GC sample doent come back as good as before-summer heat is comming and my turbo gets hot! I still think that the BC is a real syn oil but im in the minority. The back of the bottle does worry me that its a syn blend however as it says-"Offers Full synthetic performance...." May be a clue.

have a good day!

quote:

Originally posted by Christopher Jefferson:
I know when i bought my 00' golf (one fo the few german made golfs) 1.8T in the summer of 03', i pulled the dipstick on a golf 337 and found a beautiful GREEN coloured oil on the stick! i doubt it was in fact, GC (SLX) that we know and love, but im sure that its actually like a green coloured 5w-40 or the low HTHS vis. SLX (maybe?)?

Im about to drain my GC in my 1.8t after 6K miles (may be 7K i didnt write down the exact mileage at the last change-DOH!!) and send off for analysis. The past two i was told to go at least 7K. But, that was on stock boost levels (150hp 5-8.37psi). But, now im running 10-11psi peak and about 8 average via a $30 Manual Boost Cont. Anyways, we will see just how well this oil protects the VAG AWD engine when the boost is turned up. Im sure itll do just fine though as the 225hp TT engine specs this oil-right? (503.01 spec?)

Lastly, almost went with BC 5w-40 instead and i prolly will if this GC sample doent come back as good as before-summer heat is comming and my turbo gets hot! I still think that the BC is a real syn oil but im in the minority. The back of the bottle does worry me that its a syn blend however as it says-"Offers Full synthetic performance...." May be a clue.

have a good day!

I've done the internal mental debate you are going through.

You can look at that statement two ways; (1) that it is NOT a full synthetic but Castrol is trying to assure you that you get the performance out of this oil as if it were, OR (2) that it IS a full synthetic like it says on the bottle (bilingually , no less) and Castrol is emphasizing "Use this oil and you get the benefits of the performance a full synthetic gives you."

I am going with the latter possibility. We now know conclusively that GC is genuinely a full synthetic, and there were doubters; I am banking that BC is as well.

PS The Elves are accepting apologies from those who said GC was Group III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back