If GC becomes unavailable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 0W-40 would be my guess...

It is and should remain widely available (BTW, according to M1 website, it's still API SL, even though new 0W-30 is now API SM), shears down to thick 30 wt according to most, and it satisfies the ACEA A3/HTHS>3.5 crowd.

If and when it comes out around here, Pennzoil Platinum Euro Formula 5W-30 might be a candidate.

Esso XD-3 extra in 0w30 or 0w40. Both weights are a full PAO and UOA's have been looking good (not many yet, though). Plus, it will be as hard to find as GC, expecially for Americans, since it appears to be only available in Canada. (I have 32 litres of 0w30 in my garage, and will soon have an equal amount of 0w40 - the 30 is for my Grand Caravan, and the 40 is for my Beetle).

quote:

Originally posted by rcy:
Esso XD-3 extra in 0w30 or 0w40. Both weights are a full PAO and UOA's have been looking good (not many yet, though). Plus, it will be as hard to find as GC, expecially for Americans, since it appears to be only available in Canada. (I have 32 litres of 0w30 in my garage, and will soon have an equal amount of 0w40 - the 30 is for my Grand Caravan, and the 40 is for my Beetle).

You lucky Canadians.
mad.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
I would park the car and never drive again!!!
tongue.gif

as long as you don't park it in front of me....i'll wave. It's just one less on the road....

wink.gif

My VW would probably just drown it's tears in Supertech 20w50.....just kidding.
tongue.gif
I would replace it with either M1 0w40 or Castrol Syntec 5w40, aka BC.
cool.gif

I'd vote for Paris Hilton Nicole Richie ....

The packages look very appealing on the surface, but when you review them objectively (or heaven forbid allow them to talk), there just isn't much there ...
wink.gif

The GC/0w-30 is "All Hat and No Cattle", when it comes to extended drain performance past 10k miles.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

The new SM rated M1 SS 0w-40 has dropped a couple of the manufactures certifications that the SL rated formulation had, such as the BMW-01 long life and the MBZ 229.3 rating. Since I use the M1 SS 0w-40 mixed with some M1 SS 15w-50 in one of the other cars, I also stock piled a supply of both in the SL formulations.

The BC 5w-40 never had the BMW-01 long life rating and I am not sure it was ever as good as the M02-M04 green GC formulation or even the newer M05 amber GC. If the amber GC proves to be sub-par to the older green GC, the best bet maybe either Amsoil SAE or even Redline, both in the 5w-30 or 10w-30 weights. Not sure about their prices though vs. the AutoZone price for the GC.

6plly posted by TooSlick:
I'd vote for Paris Hilton Nicole Richie ....

The packages look very appealing on the surface, but when you review them objectively (or heaven forbid allow them to talk), there just isn't much there ...
wink.gif

The GC/0w-30 is "All Hat and No Cattle", when it comes to extended drain performance past 10k miles.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
[/QUOTE]

You still have no proof to back up your claim, since we have very little data on this subject. Once we get more than ten UOAs on GC over 10k, then you can begin to see a pattern, but how many do we have right now? Certainly not many! So let's not jump to conclusions just yet.

One thing for sure though, in a 10k mile drain, GC will stay a 30wt while Amsoil becomes a solid to high 40wt. TBN retention would be better with AMsoil or so it seems.
smile.gif

Patman,

Ever heard of a joke,eh??? You guys are just so predictable...
wink.gif

Seriously though, if Castrol would bump up the TBN on this product to 12-13, then you'd really have something. Of course they can do this, but expect to pay maybe another $1.50/quart for the stuff. As I mentioned before, if the Mobil 1, Extended Performance oils are successful, Castrol will have to counter with a similar product. The GC/0w-30 is the obvious choice for this.

The reason why Castrol can get away with selling a 10.5 TBN, ACEA "A3/B4" oil in Europe is that their gasoline and diesel fuel has much less sulphur. Less sulphur means less acid/soot buildup and slower TBN depletion and oxidation. In addition, European vehicles on average are MUCH more fuel efficient than large displacement V-6 and V-8 engines in vehicles weighing 3500-6000 lbs - particularly in city driving. All things being equal, the more fuel you burn the shorter the drain interval has to be for a given sump size....

TS

quote:

... pscholte will put his house under lockdown and arm his army of elves with Uzis. Then he will retreat into his well-stocked oil cellar.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

... pscholte will put his house under lockdown and arm his army of elves with Uzis. Then he will retreat into his well-stocked oil cellar.
grin.gif

m'man,

The fortification mods are, in fact, complete. Your timing is impeccable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back