Has there been any UOAs or VOAs of gold GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had the time to read much on the GC board so I was a bit surprised to learn that Castrol has changed their formulation and GC is now gold in color. I'm assuming this new version meets all the same specs as the old, but has anyone posted any UOAs or VOAs of it yet? Also, does it still smell like gummi bears?
grin.gif

They cut Ca by 50% and raised Mg levels to 600ppm. Mg has been dropped in most modern formulations. Could be a cost issue. Their are some studies that link Mg to hard deposits.

G-Man II,

Take a look at the VOA of the reformulated GC, 0w-30 and the recent VOA of the Series 2000, 0w-30. It looks to me like they have the same additive supplier, which actually makes a lot of sense.

I think folks are completely missing the boat concentrating on the GC base stock blend, which is most likely a basic PAO/Ester. I believe the "secret" to the GC performance is that they are using a Lubrizol developed, additive chemistry. I also think this is why the conventional Castrol GTX consistently performs well.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

I think folks are completely missing the boat concentrating on the GC base stock blend, which is most likely a basic PAO/Ester. I believe the "secret" to the GC performance is that they are using a Lubrizol developed, additive chemistry.

I think the additive chemistry AND the basestock are what we are wondering about. Obviously they are using some conventional additive make-up as evidenced by the VOA and its recent tweaking. But also there is the question of just what IS the basestock make-up. As with some others, the base can be the "secret" of it's performance along with some thoughtful add. chemistry. There is suggestion that GC base has some cutting-edge technology though, I believe the term co-oligomer has been used relative to GC, that may in fact be why this oil performs so well. Just the way I'm reading this until the full GC test results are in.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back