VOA GC04 / GC05 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't Shoot - I'm only the messenger!

I finally got hands on some of this stuff and thought I would take a few pictures.

-

-

-

[ March 31, 2005, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Stinky Peterson ]

Thanks Stinky! It's not the same stuff, but the viscosity is basically the same. I guess now we need someone to give us a UOA to see how good it works.

The main difference I see is in Ca and Mg. Ones up and ones down just a little. Everything else is very close. Just the change in those two additives could have changed the color. I bet it still works as good as those little elves.

They dropped the Ca levels and increased the Mg. What I find surprising are the levels of P/Zn. Still GF-3 levels. I thought this would have been a GF-4 oil. Probably are not ready to meet the long drains specs and be GF-4.
dunno.gif
Regardless, with this oil it's the esters that make it shine.
smile.gif

Thanks Stinky. difference between magnesium and calcium. everything else looks equal. now only if we can find out if GC 05 is group 3
blush.gif

Z, that's a good question. I need to study up on my diesel oils.

Cutehumor: When that Sunfire gets to 124K are you going to switch it over to Pennzoil HM?
grin.gif

Looking a bit more like the Amsoil/Delvac philosophy with that Magnesium. Maybe an enhanced extended drain/better tbn retention pak??

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Cutehumor: When that Sunfire gets to 124K are you going to switch it over to Pennzoil HM?
grin.gif
[/QB]

hey johnny, I'll switch if you hook me up
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Well I think that this confirms at least a difference in formulation between the amber and the green, if not another reformulation, which means to me that this could be a reformulation of the bases too. So I will not be buying any of the amber stuff, at least without more confirmation and/or other UOA. Heck it was the green color was the only reason I bought it in the first place!
wink.gif
Ok, not totally so, but for me it was a novelty purchase and what I saw as a good buy on some confirmed superior Group V and IV oil with superior wear capability. Now it looks just as atractive as the USA made stuff, which I have lots of other options for it seems.

Hi Johnny

Well I don't know what's in it but I did a microscope exam and the old formula has some strange little semitransparent purple particles. The new formula has some transparent spherical particles. The white ring that shows in the picture is the light from my microscope. If it wasn't for the reflected ring-shaped light you cannot even see them.

I think the purple particles are elf poop but I don't know what the clear objects are?

-

Is it just me or is neither of those samples green? Did they both say "Made in Germany" on the bottles?

-T

The 04 in the first analysis is listed as Green when viewed at certain angles. The 05 looks like the brown/gold that some purchased. Both had the made in Germany on the back.

smile.gif

Yep both say made in Germany. The green color I observed is some light reflecting phenomena and I could not capture it with the camera. It's almost like a fluorescence but different.

Since I've never see GC before before I can't say this is the green others speak of but I'll bet it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back