How Much is Too Much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, obviously it wouldn't be prudent to purchase a 10 year supply of motor oil. Future advances in technology will produce a superior product.

So how far out does it make sense to go? Three years? One year?

The answer, like many answers here, is that "it depends".

I have about 175qts in the shrine, but stumbled upon Walmart closeout of Castrol SM GTX HM, SM Syntec 10w-40/5w-50 for $1-$1.50/qt. It's difficult to beat that deal. I cleaned their clearance rack of all Castrol products. I wish they had some PZ HM, but beggars can't be choosers!
smile.gif

So how much is too much? Dunno. Only have 17qts of the Green on hand.

I think you should consider, "How much less wear, than we have been seeing with GC, do you think a 'future...superior product' will give you." If you think that it will be significantly less, than don't buy more than a year or two's worth. You also need to consider future advances in OCI capability, etc and what specs automobile manufacturers will specify in the future. But just remember this isn't like Information Technology...future advances won't come at continually cheaper prices...so if you like the performance GC gives now, and think it surpassess any near term upgraded manufacturers specs and so won't give you warranty problems, stock up...tell you what, post periodically how big your stash is and I'll ask the Elves to tell you when it is large enough.
wink.gif

quote:

...tell you what, post periodically how big your stash is and I'll ask the Elves to tell you when it is large enough.

Okay. So far I have 29 quarts. I drive 30,000 per year, split between 2 vehicles. I plan to use the GC in one of those (2005 Nissan Frontier, 4.0 VQ engine). So it is 2 - 2½ years worth. The other car is a 2000 Toyota Celica (2ZZ-GE engine). I'm thinking M1 may be better for it.

Do the Elves approve?
 -

They are thinking another 6 mos worth and you should be in good shape. (They are quite good with their recommendations.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back