What is the GC OCI Interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen this here yet...maybe I missed it. How far can you go on the GC? Does anyone have any advertised claims or what?

I've heard it can safely go up to 10k without any issues.
cheers.gif

Castrol does not make any mileage claims.

I like to use TooSlick's formula as a guideline. Horsepower output per cu. in. displacement, turbo-charger etc. will all affect it. It's very engine dependent.

Hard to say what an oil will do if you don't know the engine it's going in, imho.

Slick's specific fuel consumption is a good guideline but why not use oil analysis to determine that interval ? There are too many variables to consider to safely go longer drains without some way to confirm. UOA is the cheapest and most accurate way to do that.

I am about to pull an analysis on a 1999 VW/Audi 2.0 using GC 0w-30/LC for 15,000 miles and 13 months of use. The same engine my dear kids ran without coolant for more miles than I want to remember. See the UOA's posted at BITOG.

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Slick's specific fuel consumption is a good guideline but why not use oil analysis to determine that interval ? There are too many variables to consider to safely go longer drains without some way to confirm. UOA is the cheapest and most accurate way to do that.

I am about to pull an analysis on a 1999 VW/Audi 2.0 using GC 0w-30/LC for 15,000 miles and 13 months of use. The same engine my dear kids ran without coolant for more miles than I want to remember. See the UOA's posted at BITOG.

I totally agree. TooSlick is getting you into a probable realistic ballpark range. That's all. For sure uoa is the only real way to prove. The formula may show some people that their expectations are unrealistic from the beginning and avoid possible problems.

I didn't in anyway mean to imply that uoa was not the proper course. It is. Slick gives you something for a goal to shoot for if your engine in in proper shape.
cheers.gif

[ March 31, 2005, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

I had been wondering the samething as I had been running GC in my Nissan titan. At the 8K mile mark valve train noise got to the point that I could no longer ignore. Through out the run I also had to add 1 qt. of makeup oil. Went back to Mobil 0w-40 no more valve train noise and doesn't burn a drop. Should have tested the GC sample but my gut feeling was that it was pretty beat up in an engine that doesn't beat up oil. That experiment is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back