Germany Spec sheet for GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Germany is not so good, but it looks that this spec sheet from the Castrol Germany site may hold more info on the "elf and magic green formula";

http://129.35.64.91/bpglis/lubtds.nsf/technicaldata/129DB0C0535CFBC6C1256F63004E45F6?OpenDocument

This seems to be for our much loved GC 0w-30 by the approvals;

API SL/CF / ACEA A3/B3/B4 / Mercedes-Benz Betriebs- stoff - Vorschrift Blatt 229.3 / VW Normen 502 00 , 505 00 (Ausg. 1/97), 503 01 (Ausg. 09/99) für Audi S3 und TT (165 KW/225 PS), RS 4, W-Motore mit WIV / BMW Longlife-01

and the Kin. Viskosität bei 100°C of 12,1 valve

There are also formulations specifically for only VW and only BWM in the listing as well, possibly OEM fill or dealer service depart formulations?

quote:

Castrol Formula SLX is a "world beating" fully synthetic oil, ideal for all modern, technically advanced, petrol and diesel car engines. Castrol Formula SLX provides a more advanced level of protection and performance than conventional oils. Extensive research and development, backed by independent tests, have shown the clear superiority of Castrol Formula SLX against conventional engine oils and other fully synthetic lubricants.

Paranoil, thanks for posting this. Those specs match the oil we have here.

I love the "World Beating" part. It is a kick @ss oil thats for sure.

Ok here goes.

Dichte bei 15 C means Relative Density at 15ºC
Kin. Viskosität bei 40 C means Viscosity at 40ºC
Kin. Viskosität bei 100°C means Viscosity at 100 C
Viskositätsindex means Viscosity Index
Pourpoint means Pour Point
Flammpunkt COC means Flash Point (COC)

DIN means Deutsches Institut fur Normung (German Institute for Stardardization)

DB - thanks for posting the link.

I love the pour point that even beats M1's 0w-20 (-57 deg.C), yet you get the potection of an A3 30-weight at temp.

I wonder how all the viscosity graphs of temp. vs. viscosity compare amongst the oils that are talked about here - though by the cost per spec. sheet, I'd think it's just going to come down to freezer tests and simply giving things a go if one be so inclined.

quote:

DIN means Deutsches Institut fur Normung (German Institute for Stardardization)

Actually, "DIN" as an approval stands for "Deutsche Industrie-Norm," signifying compliance with standards set by the DIN. Think of, for example, DIN paper sizes like DIN A1, A2, A3, A4, etc, or photographic film sensitivity like 21, 24, 27 DIN.

For a good part, the DIN standard has been replaced by ISO standards.

Morbund and Gmayer:

You are both right.

DIN used to originally stand for "Deutsches Institut fuer Normung" but in last couple decades been changes to mean "Deutsche Industrie Normen"

Fred..
smile.gif

No palmerwmd, DIN always stood and still stands for both, the Institute, and the spec. Glaub's mir doch, du Knall†üte!
wink.gif

Meanings of "DIN:"

1. Deutsches Institut für Normung, the institute
2. Deutsche Industrie Norm, the standard itself

PS: Normen is simply plural of Norm.

http://www2.din.de/

[ March 24, 2005, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Hmm,

Interesting looks like I had bad Info.

A relative of mine used to work there and once said their name had been changed from deutsches institut fuer Normung to Deutsche Industrie Normen.

Fred...
dunno.gif

quote:

Vielleicht soll ein neues Forum fuer die Uebersetzung der deutschen technischen information geoeffnet werden:)

I like beer, Hitler and Football......and something. Can't translate the rest. Sorry.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by DeaconBlue:
There are also formulations specifically for only VW and only BWM in the listing as well, possibly OEM fill or dealer service depart formulations?

VW 503 00, 506 00 and 506 01 maybe? Those would be VW's "Longlife" norms, which call for a lower viscosity than ACEA A3/B3.
These oils are usually around HTHS 3.0 mPas and 9-10mm/s² at 100°C.

Details about the BMW-specific SLX formulation can be found here:
http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2041207.008/bmw/1.html
As far as I can tell, the main difference is the diesel particulate filter compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back