Secret Stash: Confessions of a new oil junky

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the dentist this morning (no fewer teeth), I stopped at an AutoZone in the area of his office. My quest was for the mystical and elusive German Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

I started my treasure hunt slowly, looking over all the additives with new eyes- dismissing some, caressing others, wondering if anyone would catch me if I took the top off for a smell (a taste?).

I then moved to the motor oil racks and scanned each container, scoffing at the pedestrian cocktails that mere peasants would buy in their ignorance of the real Pearls of Great Price.

I saw the white containers of Castrol GTX and knew I was on the right trail. Other Siren-like elixers tried to lure me with their specious claims emblazoned on their labels: "Buy me! Buy me!" I was not to be distracted from my Holy Quest, although hope was not high.

Then I saw it. Just a glimpse of red at first. Right at eye level, what to my wondering eyes should appear but the plastic container as dark as the Black Forest. As I focused my gaze, one of the bottles, precariously perched askew on the shelf, straightened itself out. I think, but I can't be sure, that I saw a tiny Elfin hand adjust it from behind the rack.

Having seen the photos on this forum, I looked for the stigmata: Red Printing? Check! 0W-30? Check! Made in Germany? Check!

Now... for the sine quo non: Batch number 04? CHECK!

I muffled my exited cry for fear of alerting others who might try and get some before me. But, alas, the shelf was stocked to the hilt. I decided to just buy five quarts (for now) so as not to start a run on the bank. This would be my secret stash. (Shhhhh!)

I carried my find to the counter while whistling and walking in a forced slow pace. (There's many a slip between the cup and the lip. It wasn't in my Acura yet!). I placed the potions on the counter and asked the clerk if he was the manager (in a soft, controlled voice). He said, "Yes."

It was then that I lost all control. "How much of this **** do you have? I'll take it all! Can I get a discount for volume?"

His countenance drained of it's color. He nervously looked around. His toe searched for the alarm button...

"I'm sorry," I said, recovering my composure. "Just kidding." I cleared my throat and spoke in a lowered voice out of one side of my mouth, kind of like a junky trying to score a fix in a back alley. "But if I take all you have, can I get a wholesale price?"

"No," he said, sensing my desperation. "We don't discount oil." Spoken like a true pusher. Did he know? Was he bluffing? We stared each other down for the longest minute I've ever known.

"O.K. I'll just take these." He doesn't know! And I'm not going to tell him.

I took my booty out to the safety of my car trunk where I carefully secured it. Just then (I swear), a twenty-year old Mercedes sedan pulled in to the spot next to me. A wizzened, ageless guy, about 4' 4", scampered from behind the wheel, saw my stash, and gave me a smile and a big wink from under the brow of his Alpine felt hat.

No words were necessary.

Move over Mobil 1. I've started my vault. I'm ready for St. Patrick's Day. I've got my green.

Dave, the noob
First post

Tsk. Tsk.

First Post.
And you have been here too long already.
wink.gif

welcome.gif

Like many people on this forum you are sick!!!
I hope that you get help soon!!!

My oil stash:

40 quarts GC
4 gallons Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme
2 gallons Valvoline Premium Blue
8 quarts John Deer 50 Plus
6 quarts Redline

quote:

Originally posted by xpditor:
After the dentist this morning (no fewer teeth), I stopped at an AutoZone in the area of his office. My quest was for the mystical and elusive German Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

I started my treasure hunt slowly, looking over all the additives with new eyes- dismissing some, caressing others, wondering if anyone would catch me if I took the top off for a smell (a taste?).

I then moved to the motor oil racks and scanned each container, scoffing at the pedestrian cocktails that mere peasants would buy in their ignorance of the real Pearls of Great Price.

I saw the white containers of Castrol GTX and knew I was on the right trail. Other Siren-like elixers tried to lure me with their specious claims emblazoned on their labels: "Buy me! Buy me!" I was not to be distracted from my Holy Quest, although hope was not high.

Then I saw it. Just a glimpse of red at first. Right at eye level, what to my wondering eyes should appear but the plastic container as dark as the Black Forest. As I focused my gaze, one of the bottles, precariously perched askew on the shelf, straightened itself out. I think, but I can't be sure, that I saw a tiny Elfin hand adjust it from behind the rack.

Having seen the photos on this forum, I looked for the stigmata: Red Printing? Check! 0W-30? Check! Made in Germany? Check!

Now... for the sine quo non: Batch number 04? CHECK!

I muffled my exited cry for fear of alerting others who might try and get some before me. But, alas, the shelf was stocked to the hilt. I decided to just buy five quarts (for now) so as not to start a run on the bank. This would be my secret stash. (Shhhhh!)

I carried my find to the counter while whistling and walking in a forced slow pace. (There's many a slip between the cup and the lip. It wasn't in my Acura yet!). I placed the potions on the counter and asked the clerk if he was the manager (in a soft, controlled voice). He said, "Yes."

It was then that I lost all control. "How much of this **** do you have? I'll take it all! Can I get a discount for volume?"

His countenance drained of it's color. He nervously looked around. His toe searched for the alarm button...

"I'm sorry," I said, recovering my composure. "Just kidding." I cleared my throat and spoke in a lowered voice out of one side of my mouth, kind of like a junky trying to score a fix in a back alley. "But if I take all you have, can I get a wholesale price?"

"No," he said, sensing my desperation. "We don't discount oil." Spoken like a true pusher. Did he know? Was he bluffing? We stared each other down for the longest minute I've ever known.

"O.K. I'll just take these." He doesn't know! And I'm not going to tell him.

I took my booty out to the safety of my car trunk where I carefully secured it. Just then (I swear), a twenty-year old Mercedes sedan pulled in to the spot next to me. A wizzened, ageless guy, about 4' 4", scampered from behind the wheel, saw my stash, and gave me a smile and a big wink from under the brow of his Alpine felt hat.

No words were necessary.

Move over Mobil 1. I've started my vault. I'm ready for St. Patrick's Day. I've got my green.

Dave, the noob
First post

welcome.gif

The Elves and I cried like babies while reading your novelette and we were not ashamed. Fortunately, there were no open bottles of the Elixer to taint with sodium chloride although I am not sure that the Elixer would not have embraced tears of admiration over such a beautiful tale and turned the sodium chloride into just another magical additive. By the way, and I seldom name names, but the hand you saw belonged to Ulrich. He was very moved by the awe he witnessed in your eyes and also by your recounting of this adventure. Well done!
cheers.gif

PS You DO realize that such eloquence is worthy of more than 5 quarts do you not?

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
welcome.gif

The Elves and I cried like babies while reading your novelette and we were not ashamed. Fortunately, there were no open bottles of the Elixer to taint with sodium chloride although I am not sure that the Elixer would not have embraced tears of admiration over such a beautiful tale and turned the sodium chloride into just another magical additive. By the way, and I seldom name names, but the hand you saw belonged to Ulrich. He was very moved by the awe he witnessed in your eyes and also by your recounting of this adventure. Well done!
cheers.gif

PS You DO realize that such eloquence is worthy of more than 5 quarts do you not?

If they had the GC potion in cases, I might have bought more. But they were individual quarts and five was an armload. Plus, no one seemed to know that what they had was getting scarce. There is lots of it there. The first AZ I checked.

Another reason for hesitation is that I was waiting to hear the recommendation of the wizards here on what to use in my low mileage garage furniture, the 2004 Acura. It was my car that Michael Wan was talking about in this thread:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=51;t=000068

It seems the consensus is that I would be better off with dino squeezin’s in the 0W-20 or 5W-20 range and no additives (of course).

In further elaboration of Michael’s thread, I am in South Florida where we don’t do cold. Also, my computer on the Acura TL told me I still had 50% oil life remaining at 3,400 miles. I replaced the oil and filter (M1 10W-30 and M1-110 filter) even though Acura says not to make that first change early because of the special factory break-in oil. UOAs of that factory fill indicate high levels of moly which we know Hondas love. So, to get me to 7,500 miles and still provide additional moly, I added 15 oz. of the Valvoline MaxLife Engine Protection which has lots of same. This is temporary only until my break-in is complete.

I expect to hear back from Blackstone any day now with a UOA of my factory fill. I will post it when I get it.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
The single best "first post" ever! You'll fit in just fine here Dave!
cheers.gif

welcome.gif

Thanks for the welcome mat, Patman. I mod another auto forum so I am familiar with the workings of the board. I should be able to get up to speed quickly since we have a mutual interest in oily things. I'm glad I was told about this place by Michael Wan.

quote:

Originally posted by xpditor:
wondering if anyone would catch me if I took the top off for...(a taste?).

Dave, the noob
First post

Dave,

This statement caught my eye as I responded to the post above and so I would like to take the opportunity to remind everyone that GC tastes best slightly chilled (51-53º) accompanied by ein netter bröckliger Nordsee Weißerfisch (a nice flaky North Sea Whitefish). You might find it acceptable with white meat fowl but NEVER, NEVER, NEVER with red meat. The Elves cannot abide the Elixer in the company of red meat. (Please note: they have nothing against a good hearty side of beef...but not with the Elixer.)

I was able to indulge my fixation on St. Patty's Day as those around me assumed I was drinking green beer. Bwahahahahaha!

I must warn to use moderation and have plenty of TP in the WC.
shocked.gif

...and you are NOT a "junky"...you are an afficinado or a connoisseur...if, that is, you are infatuated with the Green Elixer of Peace, Life, Love, Beauty, Lubricitous Finesse, not to mention Tasty Treatness.
grin.gif

I just found 4 more qts of 04 at an AZ on the way home from work today
grin.gif
. It was mixed in with a bunch of 0504, and a couple of 02's. I was about to get the 02's, but I noticed they said "Made in USA from imported and domestic...blah blah blah", so I put those back. Also hidden was a yellow label, which looked like it was a throwback from 1972
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back