What is GC and why is it so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by glxpassat:
It may not be around much longer as I can't find any reference to SLX on Castrol's German or Australian web sites. They make reference to the 0W-40 and 10W-60 for full synthetics. The 0W-40 has the same HTHS @ 3.6 as GC and the viscosity at 100 = 12.9 whereas GC is 12.2, so it seems like the 0w-30 may have been replaced.

The data sheets on the Castrol site right now show Syntec 0W-30 with specs that we know belong to what we call GC around here, not the old made in USA group III stuff. It would be nice, other than adding further confusion, if they started making it here. And sold it more places than Autozone...

Syntec data sheet

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
It would be nice, other than adding further confusion, if they started making it here. And sold it more places than Autozone...

The Elves will NEVER move to the United States (although they did have fun when we went to Disneyland...except that people kept thinking they were Disney characters and Will Farrell kept wanting to hang with us)
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
It would be nice, other than adding further confusion, if they started making it here. And sold it more places than Autozone...

The Elves will NEVER move to the United States (although they did have fun when we went to Disneyland...except that people kept thinking they were Disney characters and Will Farrell kept wanting to hang with us)
cool.gif

Given the USD/Euro exchange rate the elves may consider moving here soon. We don't want to see them living in poverty and getting out of the green oil bottling business...
wink.gif

Question from another newbie. Will GC stand up to hot central Florida summers? I just bought a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT and the book says 10w-30 for summer, 5w-30 for winter.

quote:

Originally posted by paker:
Question from another newbie. Will GC stand up to hot central Florida summers? I just bought a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT and the book says 10w-30 for summer, 5w-30 for winter.

Since GC is a "thick" 30-weight, I think it will hold up just fine in your N.A. Eclipse GT.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
I have a 2000 VW GTI 1.8L Turbo. Engine is 100% stock. How do you all think the GC 0w30 would hold up in my engine with 5k mile OCI's?

I do mostly highway driving, 80 miles round-trip every day & sometimes I push it to redline. But it never stays at redline for more than a second or two, because it's an automatic.

So, what do you guys think? GC or should I stick with Mobil 1 0w40 year-round?

Anybody???

quote:

quote:

I have a 2000 VW GTI 1.8L Turbo. Engine is 100% stock. How do you all think the GC 0w30 would hold up in my engine with 5k mile OCI's?

I do mostly highway driving, 80 miles round-trip every day & sometimes I push it to redline. But it never stays at redline for more than a second or two, because it's an automatic.

So, what do you guys think? GC or should I stick with Mobil 1 0w40 year-round?

Anybody???

VW 502.00, 505.00, 503.01---GC meets these specs.

I like GC but am not familiar with this car. GC or M1 0W-40 might be a toss up based on individual conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back