GC 0w30 vs M1 0w40 for 1.8T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So which would you prefer? Which would best run year round in this engine? Both have identical approvals recommended for the 1.8T(vw 502.00, ACEA A3, SL).

After much thought & help from the BITOGers, I have decided to run GC in winter & M1 in summer in my 1.8T.

I wonder what the elves think? They need their own forum.
fruit.gif

[ January 14, 2005, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: wavinwayne ]

id run GC all year round. i have in my 1.8T and the UOA's are great for a 7K mile interval. and thats in the heat of summer here in atlanta and with allot of hard driving. and on an auto trans 1.8T too.

but, you could run GC in colder weather and 5w-40 in summer. or M1 0w-40 and M1 5w-40 in summer. any of these and youre good to go.

They both qualify and are both good oils. You would have to try both in your application and see which one works better.

Overall, M-1 oils produce more noise and have more consumption than other brands. I also found greater coefficient of friction with their lubes. GC is a good product. I would also recommend Syntec 5-40 for you application.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Overall, M-1 oils produce more noise and have more consumption than other brands. I also found greater coefficient of friction with their lubes.

M1 is a superb syn product indeed. However, I've heard the same from users in Vortex & CB5/PassatWorld about some noise and consumptions in the 1.8T vs other comparable syns.

I have some 0w40 from the 3-for-3 Pep Boys offer and been thinking twice to use it. My engine does not consume oil since new and I meant to keep it as is.

If I remember correctly, thick 30wt GC is a litle thinner compared to M1 at 100*C by (+/-)2pts Cst...would this correspond to increased consumption than M1? Noise as well with this engine?

These 1.8Ts are really rough on oil. I imagine this "holy green" oil w/c runs great in other engines, might shear/break down quicker in the 1.8T w/ 5k ocis, perhaps...

[ January 15, 2005, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

Hey vwoom, what kind of VW do you have? I'm going to use GC in my 2000 VW GTI 1.8T on my next oil change & if there is any noticable difference, I will post it here.

The only downside is that my next oil change won't come for another 3500 miles, or roughly 7 weeks. I don't know how this happened, but since I started participating in this forum, I actually look forward to oil changes. And I never would have thought about how motor oil smelled or what color it was before the BITOG discussions of GC.

Before BITOG, I used to dread OC's like going to the dentist. Now I love doing them....OC's that is. My wife thinks I'm weird for reading this forum so much, but what do chics know?.....just kidding, of course
wink.gif

Anyhow, I'll post my observations of the "green elixir" here after I put a few miles on it. I think the GC should come with a little "Thank you" card from the elves.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
GC is 1.8t Factory-Fill in Gryor, end of story.

This would be consistent with my VWoA telecon, in which I was told that the VW-brand oil generally used by dealers in the U.S. is Castrol. I am using Mobil 1 0W-40 because it is readily available, and because I BELIEVE it to be virtually as good as anything else on the VW502 list.

wayvinwayne, I have a '00 Passat ATW. I'm trying to find concensus of Bitog 1.8T folks here on these two oils...Yes, postings your findings on GC would be helpful to every 1.8T owners here.
cheers.gif

Does anyone have info on a factory fill 1.8T uoa(if one was ever made)? This would confirm if the factory fill is the same vaunted green elixir GC we all extol.

quote:

Originally posted by John_E:
This would be consistent with my VWoA telecon, in which I was told that the VW-brand oil generally used by dealers in the U.S. is Castrol. I am using Mobil 1 0W-40 because it is readily available, and because I BELIEVE it to be virtually as good as anything else on the VW502 list.
Do you notice any oil consumption w/ M1 0w40? Noisy valvetrain?

I was told before that Castrol is the bulk dealer oil of choice. Frankly, I don't care what they use...after what(crap turbo oil) they did put in our engines before...not even then, not even now.

Castrol/VW claim the current factory fill is SLX LongLife II (Primarily Group III).

Consensus here is that the German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 is the original SLX LongLife (Group IV/V).

Gene

I also have 00' ATW engine code VW 1.8t and I had consumption issues w/Mobil 1 0w-40 I then went to Mobil 1 5w-40 but then I got the VW sludge letter and switched to GC which carries the needed VW endorsements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back